Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper way to Drogheda from Dublin day return than Irish Rail @ €22?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

First of all on www.irishrail.ie I wasn't even able to select Drogheda as a destination from Landsdowne in Dublin, surely I'm not the only person here wanting to go there!

Because of this I sent an email to Iarnród Éireann asking how much the fare would be. They advised me it would cost €22 which sickened me because they have a promotion on at the moment on the Drogheda Dublin line @ €10/€12 which they unfortunately confirmed in their second email only applies to people going to Dublin and returning to Drogheda.

On glancing at the promotion again there I thought that maybe it meant €10 one way, €12 the other but since they've confirmed it in email it must really mean €10 or €12 depending on the day.

Anyway, I feel like I will be getting very much ripped off and I'm wondering if anyone may know a way to travel tomorrow to and from Drogheda from Dublin same day cheaper than €22 by rail or bus?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrianSlipknot

What moonshadow said. Busses every hour and cheap. €7 one way or €12 for return and the return dosent expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks guys, what are the buses like? I have it in my mind that it would be very cramped compared to the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

LA3G wrote: »
    Thanks guys, what are the buses like? I have it in my mind that it would be very cramped compared to the train.

Lovely clean buses, nice friendly drivers and the majority if not all of them having free wifi.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Lovely clean buses, nice friendly drivers and the majority if not all of them having free wifi.

Cheers, if only I could find a nice friendly salesman who works in a lovely clean store that would have a free laptop :)

That is great that they have free wifi though. I know there was talk of that on the trains but I don't think that idea has of yet quite seen fruition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Matthews provide a top quality service, use them regularly. €12 return from Dundalk, dunno if it's the same for Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The buses are comfortable enough, though I do find some of the newer ones a little bit cramped. On the other hand you're probably not as tall or fat as I am so you should be fine. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

LA3G wrote: »
    Cheers, if only I could find a nice friendly salesman who works in a lovely clean store that would have a free laptop :)

That is great that they have free wifi though. I know there was talk of that on the trains but I don't think that idea has of yet quite seen fruition.

Off topic, they are testing it on some trains at the moment.

Dunny! wrote: »
    Matthews provide a top quality service, use them regularly. €12 return from Dundalk, dunno if it's the same for Drogheda.

I had thought the Dublin Dundalk route included Drogheda?

Yeah it's 12 return whatever two journeys you make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Cant beloeve you never thought of the Matthews coach. It goes every hour on the half hour from outside McDonalds most times, and if you miss that the 101x at 10 past the hour every hour from the depot across the road. Its 2 uid cheaper but its the same service...

Cant beloeve you never thought of the Matthews coach. It goes every hour on the half hour from outside McDonalds most times, and if you miss that the 101x at 10 past the hour every hour from the depot across the road. Its 2 uid cheaper but its the same service...

Well you had better believe! Do you want to believe?! Some people have never been to Drogheda, amazing as I'm sure I'll find it to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You'll be going from Dublin, so if you go to the top of O'Connell Street, and turn right onto Parnell Street, and about 100m down the bus leaves from the left hand side (facing away from O'Connell Street).

At busy times, they have two buses. One will be a Dundalk Direct, and the other will be Dundalk via Drogheda. Make sure you don't go on the direct bus, as it goes by the motorway and won't stop in Drogheda! It says on the front of the bus which type it is. At quiet times, they might only have one bus, which will be Dundalk via Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

There's also a Bettystown bus from the same stop. Don't get on that one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

+1 for Matthew's - excellent service, don't think anyone would go with Bus Eireann if they didn't have to. Buses always on time too - fancy that like!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

the 10 trip ticket which is there and back monday to friday is only 50 euro so only fiver each way

m.j.w wrote: »
    the 10 trip ticket which is there and back monday to friday is only 50 euro so only fiver each way

Best the train too because it doesn't expire. Would've cost me an extra 200 to get the train last year for college even though on the face of it they're the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

+ 1,000,000 for Matthew's Bus.

how much is it for a weekly train ticket from drogheda to dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Weekly ticket is €50. Valid Mon-Sat.

• Advertisement

Weekly ticket is €50. Valid Mon-Sat.

Is that there and back for 5 days out of the 6? had no idea it was that cheap!

Advertisement