Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 16 - Tuesday, July 20 2010, Bagnères-de-Luchon - Pau, 196 km

• 19-07-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

all schleck has to do is emulate merckx - easy

Pain on tap in the Pyrenees

This stage pays homage to one of the greatest exploits in Tour history. In 1969, on a stage that crossed the same four passes as today's, race leader Eddy Merckx launched a solo attack at the foot of the Aubisque and rode away to the finish in Mourenx, just west of Pau, arriving almost eight minutes clear of his rivals.

It would be astounding to see anyone attempt to copy the Belgian's incredible ride, especially given the long run-in to the finish.

gr215992_600.jpg

gr214616_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

With such a long finish after the final climb, you have to think noones going to take any time out of anyone today, and that the tour will be decided on Thurs mountaintop finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

2 Cat 1 and 2 HC? Jaysus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Daddy says nicholas is going ti try get in a break and attack early on .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I vote for unpredictable. They could stay together, but it could be all over the place as well if it kicks off. That much climbing can really cause havoc if some people want to make a go of it and guys will be beginning to realise that they don't have many chances left to move up the GC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Inquitus wrote: »
    With such a long finish after the final climb, you have to think noones going to take any time out of anyone today, and that the tour will be decided on Thurs mountaintop finish.
    i wouldnt be so sure, this is a long stage and there is a lot of climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

anyone read Nico's blog? Gadret wouldn't give him his front wheel. Rekon Nico will be in one of the breakaways over the next few days or will be pushing hard to regain time lost yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Roche is in the first breakaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

And Lance and Wiggins,for those hoping for a last hurrah from Armstrong this could be the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Rovi wrote: »
    Roche is in the first breakaway.

Great stuff from Nico, let's hope he's got in the right break. Funny how his old man was Mr Cool on the bike. Always looked cool no matter what the pace or the pressure. Nico's the complete opposite today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think Gadret just went out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Go roche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Today should be 'mega', 188kms to go and attacking already, go Roche go Schleck ! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

niceonetom wrote: »
    I think Gadret just went out the back.

12:11 CEST

Interesting to see Nicolas Roche up here. The Irish rider was very annoyed with his teammate Jean Gadret yesterday. It seems that Gadret refused to give Roche a wheel when he punctured on the last climb and added insult to mechanical injury by attacking as Roche was chasing back on. Even more interesting is that Gadret is now trying to bridge to the leaders..

Not quite out the back !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

RobFowl wrote: »
    12:11 CEST

Interesting to see Nicolas Roche up here. The Irish rider was very annoyed with his teammate Jean Gadret yesterday. It seems that Gadret refused to give Roche a wheel when he punctured on the last climb and added insult to mechanical injury by attacking as Roche was chasing back on. Even more interesting is that Gadret is now trying to bridge to the leaders..

Not quite out the back !!

Saw him on his own. He could only be in one of two places like that. I picked wrong.

Vandenbroke could doom this break anyway... :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What happened to Roche there? I've just tuned in

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think Vino helps the breakaway. can't see Astana rushing to bring him back

Grr, just as I was typing. Must have been another mechanincal for Roche

How can Vino still have enough in the legs for a breakaway today???

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

What happened to Roche there? I've just tuned in

No idea. He was in the lead group, then my router crapped out. When I got connected to Eurosport again they were showing with the 'Arriere de la course' caption :confused:

• Advertisement

That's a lot of bad luck, he's out the back of the main bunch as well now yea?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

bbosco wrote: »
    No idea. He was in the lead group, then my router crapped out. When I got connected to Eurosport again they were showing with the 'Arriere de la course' caption :confused:

I tuned in just for that and was reading here that he was in the first break so was wondering, "12.09, ROCHE IN DIFFICULTY:Roche has dropped out of the lead group and is now in the five including Sastre and Vinokourov" Sounds like he may have put in too much yesterday trying to catch up. If this is the case he might go for John Gadret after todays stage.

I THINK I just saw him with 2 teammates towards the back of the peleton.

Roche is at the back of the Peloton with his teammates atm

But what is that based on. We have the same feeds as them and he wasn't shown in difficulty. Just "arriere" all of a sudden

Roche is at the back of the Peleton with his teammates atm

maybe one of them needed his wheel

Dodge wrote: »
    But what is that based on. We have the same feeds as them and he wasn't shown in difficulty. Just "arriere" all of a sudden

The live feed on the tour site.

43 secs peleton behind break group, a group incl Armstrong and Wiggins!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jens voight crashed (has he forgotten how to descend ) think hes back up and chasing

the question is carolineS on the cycling weekley feed the same one as here ?

• Advertisement

The live feed on the tour site.

Sorry, I read that too but a lot of their stuff is wrong. From what I gather its based on TV pictures

Sorry, I read that too but a lot of their stuff is wrong. From what I gather its based on TV pictures

Don't ever get results from it, you'll find things like Cavendish winning mountain stages and Mondory five minutes ahead in the GC.

where exactly is roche? on yahoo eurosport it say he's at the back of the pack (gap to pack) with basso and petacchi. watching it on tg4 but its muted and i cant get sound on.

where exactly is roche? on yahoo eurosport it say he's at the back of the pack (gap to pack) with basso and petacchi. watching it on tg4 but its muted and i cant get sound on.

Yes he's at the back.

He was at the back of the peleton a few minutes ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Who said this stage was going to be boring?;)

• Advertisement

There's a cluster of ag2 riders in the middle of the peleton, hopefully he's there.

Looks like break away group are going to be caught, 18secs now

Note to self: spell Peloton correctly in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

so exciting already, how am i supposed get any work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So was Nico in the breakway, then got dropped, then caught by the peloton, and dropped again?
    I'm a bit confused :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

ya impossible to study while this is going on. poor roche, this could really put him down GC if he doesn't get back to the peloton.

im confused about roche as well. no info on any of the websites with a live text feed as to what happened.

where's schleck?

Peloton breaking up, big time, Roche and Samuel Sanchez falling off

So was Nico in the breakway, then got dropped, then caught by the peloton, and dropped again?
    I'm a bit confused :confused::confused:
    He was in the breakaway and appears to have had some sort of 'difficulty' and dropped behind the peloton, and he then got back into the peloton.

Looks suspiciously like some kind of injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

very good text commentary here, an irish guy writing it... for those who cant watch...

http://live.cyclingnews.com/

ROche mus tstill be riding OK if he's with Gesink, Rodriguez and the 2 Sanchezes

ROche mus tstill be riding OK if he's with Gesink, Rodriguez and the 2 Sanchezes

I don't think Roche is in that group.... further back

Amazing, Armstrong fav (13/2) to win todays stage ! Well he was, he's now 11/2 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Jasus not sounding good for roche. Btw why are they climbing Touremolet twice this week?

alibabba wrote: »
    Jasus not sounding good for roche. Btw why are they climbing Touremolet twice this week?

They are celebrating 100 years of the Pyrenees in Le tour, and the Touremolet is a historic mountain climb. So the organisers thought it'd be a great idea to have it in twice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement