Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Provider & RTE

Options
  • 19-07-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area but..................

I'm heading to rural Spain this Friday and was hoping to be able to catch the 4th round qualifiers through RTE.ie but was told that I can only watch if I'm in Ireland. I have a broadband dongle from 3 and was wondering if i brought this with my laptop would it still register as an Irish IP address. There is good 3G connection where I'm going but few bars and definitely no Irish bars.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

While the dongle might work in Spain (roaming), it would cost a significant amount to do this! You'll be fleeced for data charges if you're on a pre-pay plan or get a whopper of a bill. Might be best to search the interwebs for an Irish proxy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

ethernet wrote: »
    While the dongle might work in Spain (roaming), it would cost a significant amount to do this! You'll be fleeced for data charges if you're on a pre-pay plan or get a whopper of a bill. Might be best to search the interwebs for an Irish proxy ;)
    +1

I would seriously not consider roaming with a USB dongle. You'd get caught for serious data charges. They have however brought in new rules for mobile providers I think lately, putting a cap on how much they can charge. 50 euro a day or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

roaming wouldnt help anyhow as you will be connecting via a partner network e.g. vodafone espania and will be assigned an IP from their pool... would it be possible for you to install logmein software on a computer here and conenct in from spain? if you have a fast connection the quality wont be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deravarra

corkcomp wrote: »
    roaming wouldnt help anyhow as you will be connecting via a partner network e.g. vodafone espania and will be assigned an IP from their pool... would it be possible for you to install logmein software on a computer here and conenct in from spain? if you have a fast connection the quality wont be too bad.

Afaik, unless you are using the paid version, you can't hear anything with logmein - I have the free version, and it's ok - but the streaming is quite poor.

Slingbox would be a much better idea for streaming... but that's a big expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Vodafone Spain actually route the traffic back to Vodafone Ireland when you're roaming for some bizzare reason.

• Advertisement

ro2 wrote: »
    Vodafone Spain actually route the traffic back to Vodafone Ireland when you're roaming for some bizzare reason.

im not so sure about them assigning an IP from Irish space though, in fact im positive that is not the case..
    deravarra wrote: »
    Afaik, unless you are using the paid version, you can't hear anything with logmein - I have the free version, and it's ok - but the streaming is quite poor.

Slingbox would be a much better idea for streaming... but that's a big expense.

RDP would also work i guess but I find the quality better over logmein.. a free trial is available anyway which would get the op out of trouble if only going on holiday.

Are you sure?

I'd have assumed that if you roam, you are piggybacking on the roaming partner's network while being tunneled to your home network so look as if you are back in your own country.

I believe SMS and Phone to be the same principles. You enter a country, you wish to connect to your home network. A foreign provider picks up on this and if they've a contract or agreement with your home provider, they offer to forward on your requests back to your home network via virtual links set up. It's just a way of extending coverage.

For this reason I'd be inclined to believe, if you were to visit a site while roaming, you'd appear to be coming from your home provider's network.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I'd have assumed that if you roam, you are piggybacking on the roaming partner's network while being tunneled to your home network so look as if you are back in your own country.

I believe SMS and Phone to be the same principles. You enter a country, you wish to connect to your home network. A foreign provider picks up on this and if they've a contract or agreement with your home provider, they offer to forward on your requests back to your home network via virtual links set up. It's just a way of extending coverage.

For this reason I'd be inclined to believe, if you were to visit a site while roaming, you'd appear to be coming from your home provider's network.

nope dude, I rang vodafone there just to double check as I dont want to pass on any mis-information.. In fact I noticed it last year in a hotel in Germany when I was trying to setup an eircom email address via 3g and it wouldnt let me! most mobile providers use combination of dynamic addressing and NAT (your laptop will appear to have a 10.X.X.X private address while connected) if that were the case the number of cells required would effectively double? connection from mr x to spanish cell and spanish cell to vodafone Ireland.

Hmm, I'm still not convinced ssorry! It makes no sense why you'd have a direct route out to the internet from a roaming provider. Surely your home provider will want to monitor and filter traffic if necessary as part of your contract. For example, some providers provide free bebo on mobile. If you roam, how do they manage that without handling your requests.

As for the eircom email, I think you have to be an eircom customer to sign up for their email service?

I know about the NAT but that's on the local side. I'm talking from the public side.

Hmm, I'm still not convinced ssorry! It makes no sense why you'd have a direct route out to the internet from a roaming provider. Surely your home provider will want to monitor and filter traffic if necessary as part of your contract. For example, some providers provide free bebo on mobile. If you roam, how do they manage that without handling your requests.

As for the eircom email, I think you have to be an eircom customer to sign up for their email service?

I know about the NAT but that's on the local side. I'm talking from the public side.

re the eircom mail, yep you need to be a customer! you also need to have an ip from Irish IP space in order to register.

Im not sure re the bebo, for all I know it may not apply while roaming...

we'll have to agree to disagree on the IP bit, i am 110% sure you do not obtain an Irish IP address while roaming.. sorry:D

edit: the functionality absolutely exists to do what you mention Webmonkey (via mobileIP) but for some reason it doesnt appear to have been implemented by Irish provider yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

calistro wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right area but..................

I'm heading to rural Spain this Friday and was hoping to be able to catch the 4th round qualifiers through RTE.ie but was told that I can only watch if I'm in Ireland. I have a broadband dongle from 3 and was wondering if i brought this with my laptop would it still register as an Irish IP address. There is good 3G connection where I'm going but few bars and definitely no Irish bars.

Thanks for any help.

Get a local Spanish net connection (local 3G sim/dongle?) and sign up for a VPN service that gives yea an Irish VPN option like OverPlay linked in my sig below :) Most likely cheaper as using a Irish 3G card outside Ireland (UK?) would be crazy expensive as yea would most likely get hit by roaming data rates unless yea got a package with international data roaming super cheap

corkcomp wrote: »
    re the eircom mail, yep you need to be a customer! you also need to have an ip from Irish IP space in order to register.

Im not sure re the bebo, for all I know it may not apply while roaming...

we'll have to agree to disagree on the IP bit, i am 110% sure you do not obtain an Irish IP address while roaming.. sorry:D

edit: the functionality absolutely exists to do what you mention Webmonkey (via mobileIP) but for some reason it doesnt appear to have been implemented by Irish provider yet
    Yeah ha. Sorry I'm stubborn with what I think! - Maybe it just irish providers but in general it seems on other providers around the world it seems when you roam you get tunneled to the home network.

Yeah ha. Sorry I'm stubborn with what I think! - Maybe it just irish providers but in general it seems on other providers around the world it seems when you roam you get tunneled to the home network.

Indeed it appears some providers (outside of Ireland) are implementing the MobileIP alright.. its not tunneling either as such - well worth a read up on.. interesting stuff! Unfortunatley no use to the OP:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Get a local Spanish net connection (local 3G sim/dongle?) and sign up for a VPN service that gives yea an Irish VPN option like OverPlay linked in my sig below :) Most likely cheaper as using a Irish 3G card outside Ireland (UK?) would be crazy expensive as yea would most likely get hit by roaming data rates unless yea got a package with international data roaming super cheap

+1. Used them from Germany recently. Does the job perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Abbbbbbb

Webmonkey is correct - GPRS traffic is routed to the home network prior to getting to the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_Roaming_Exchange

It sounds sub-optimal from a routing point of view but thats how its done, even if you are roaming on the local opco of your home provider.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Just checked and the I had an IP Address from Vodafone Ireland's range while I was roaming on their Spanish network (109.78.0.0/15).

(Edit - I had a private address on the laptop - it was NAT'd to the 109.78.0.0/15 range).

Advertisement