Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newgrange

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here been to newgrange? Can you just arrive up their? or does it have to be part of a tour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've gone up to Newgrange, twice, and while you don't need to be part of a tour, the two times I went up, the guides where busy with coach tours - so we couldn't go to the tomb!

You can go to the visitor center, but to go to the tomb, you need a guide, and coaches seem to take first preference. During the Summer, I'd say it would be best to call ahead and check for availability.

Check out their web-site for contact & email details.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

you can just arrive but be prepared...3 of us went this time last year. they told us the newgrange tours were full so we could only see dowth on that visit (which is spectacular and worth a visit anyway!). this was in the late afternoon though

they said you would need to arrive early in the morning to be in with a chance to visit newgrange itself. first come first served

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Been twice, the second time had a similar experience - arrived early afternoon, and no room at the Newgrange Inn.

Just have to ask, you know it's not in Donegal, right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dun wrote: »
    :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Dun wrote: »
    Been twice, the second time had a similar experience - arrived early afternoon, and no room at the Newgrange Inn.

Yup im from Donegal. I was asking from the point of people who travelled up to it which i'm glad i did because i have been told to be early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Seen it. Its very good

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrscanner

Went there at the weekend. Arrived at about 11 and first minibus to Newgrange site was 2:15. Went to Knowth first, then Newgrange.

Great day out but get there early so you dont have to wait all day for a bus to the Site. Guides are great and very Knowledgeable.

Well worth a visit

Advertisement