Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pvc door not shutting

• 19-07-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,
    when i shut the front door it no longer automatically shuts, bangs out, is there any way i can adjust the lock or do i just need to buy a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

tinner777 wrote: »
    hi,
    when i shut the front door it no longer automatically shuts, bangs out, is there any way i can adjust the lock or do i just need to buy a new one?

Depending on the hinge type, there are adjustments you can make there, with an allen key.

However you may make it worse, suggest you find a local window fitter who will adjust the door in a couple of minutes,

the lock can also be adjusted but again you need to be familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

martinn123 wrote: »
    Depending on the hinge type, there are adjustments you can make there, with an allen key.

However you may make it worse, suggest you find a local window fitter who will adjust the door in a couple of minutes,

the lock can also be adjusted but again you need to be familiar

As said, messing with hinges is a dangerous game, particularly if it's a 3D flag hinge, I think I have rung mine out from similar experiments.

It may be a seasonal thing. The "keeps" are the easiest to adjust. You may be able to get the catch to lock for adjusting the keep inwards.

I presume there are spags (small round locks) that make sure the door actually locks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

its the springy part of the lock, it seems to have lost its tension, so doesn't push all the way back out when opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

its a new lock for you tinners :(. pm on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks Pat. cleaned lock and oiled it, so springs now ok, i think its probably the hinge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement