Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fertility and life planning

• 19-07-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

This might sound strange but I said I'd throw it out there. I'm male and in my late 20's. I was thinking of getting fertility tested, so that way I could see if I should pursue a relationship style path and have kids, or if my boys couldn't swim, I wouldn't end up in a fruitless relationship going nowhere, and I could just feck off and go wild for a while/forever! :)

I think if I can have kids, then I should, I would like to have some for sure and think I'd be a good dad. But if I can't then there's little point in me settling at the moment/ever.

If I knew I think I could plan my life a little better. Make sense? Or am I insane. I have been known to be over analytical, and tend to think waaaay too much about small things! But it seems like a useful thing to know, rather than finding out 3 years into a relationship.

Any ideas? Oh and how much does it cost to get that checked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

90-somethings percent of people are fertile. Unless you've undergone harsh radiation therapy or have been involved in a horrific accident, I wouldn't worry. Even then, some of those people have had children.
    Make sense? Or am I insane.
    I wouldn't necessarily go with either, I'd go with something in between.

Sure, lots of people wonder, but I don't think there is a particular reason to worry until the problem actually manifests itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey OP

I think you are over thinking it by a country mile, tbh. :)

Even if you have fab swimmers, your partner may end up being the one with fertility issues - having your sperm motility checked is no guarantee that the road to fatherhood will be easy, any more than going wild will result in a little bundle of joy.

If I were you I'd take fatherhood completely out of the equation and base your life decisions on what you want to do and what makes you happy and if you happen to find someone en route that you want to settle down with and make babies with and the baby making ain't happening, then is the time to check your options.

Best of luck.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

if its on your mind, and you feel a definitive answer is what you need, the process is relatively simple;

go to gp, they will give you specimen jar and explain how to return your sample. for 48 hrs before, you must abstain. the sample must be with the lab within 30 mins for them to properly test, so you may need to pre-arrange a time with the lab via your gp. your gp will also be able to tell you the costs. they might do your bloods as well, but im not really sure.

alcohol, smoking, poor diet all affect your swimmers, so if you get a low result, it can well be fixable if you look after yourself for a few months.

on the other hand, infertility may lie with the female, or in the case of about 25 percent of infertile couples, remain unexplained.

to be honest, guys dont have the time limit that women do - you can father children while drawing your pension, if the mood takes ya, so i would suggest you go off travelling if you want, and have your fun (safely;))

Advertisement