Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering a top tier of a wedding cake

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been asked to recover a top tier of a wedding cake and incorporate it as part of a 2 tier christening cake. I haven't seen the top tier yet but the lady has told me that the icing is stained from the marzipan. My queston is can I just cover over the originl tier with fresh icing or would it be better to take off the original icing and marzipan and re ice and marzipan again.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I myself would not take that job as you do not know the quality of the dated cake and if it was stored properly. If it's a failure (i.e. the leftover cake is too dry or moldy inside) it will be your failure as the final product (Christening cake) will be done by you.

Probably you will have to take the old icing and marzipan off and do it all over again, as if it's gone too dry and stone hard people might break their teeth on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I wouldn't take that job either, so risky. How long has it been made/iced? In April I happened to see a Christmas Cake in a bakery that had been covered in almond paste and partially iced then covered in cling film and stored, the almond paste was getting mouldy already by that stage.

I would agree with DreamC though that if you are going to recover it take off all the original icing and marzipan, I would never cover over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Thanks for the replies, my gut feeling was no for all the above reasons and particularily since I have no idea what condition the cake is in. The customer wanted to use the top tier to satisfy the traditional element for her family. I'll talk to her. Thanks again

Advertisement