Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying WHV??

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to all this. Planning to head out to Australia in November. I was having a look at the Australian Gov website there and was looking at the forms to fill in on it? Does anyone know how much it is to do it directly with them?

Also, i dont actually live with my bf here but in the case that we would be trying to establish a de facto relationship for sponsorshop visa reasons - do we need to put our rel status down as de facto now?

Can you purchase the visa through USIT without the insurance package etc??

We are currently deliberating on where to go as well!!!Considering work factors, quality of life etc and being part of a couple - where is best?? Brisbane side or west side?

I am a law graduate and my bf is a trades man!

We really do appreciate any advice!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

linola_c wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to all this. Planning to head out to Australia in November. I was having a look at the Australian Gov website there and was looking at the forms to fill in on it? Does anyone know how much it is to do it directly with them?

Also, i dont actually live with my bf here but in the case that we would be trying to establish a de facto relationship for sponsorshop visa reasons - do we need to put our rel status down as de facto now?

Can you purchase the visa through USIT without the insurance package etc??

We are currently deliberating on where to go as well!!!Considering work factors, quality of life etc and being part of a couple - where is best?? Brisbane side or west side?

I am a law graduate and my bf is a trades man!

We really do appreciate any advice!

Cheers

Hey,

Heading to Australia also in October. After alot of deliberation we have decided on Melbourne as a first stop as there seems to be so much going on there.

I applied for my WHV online last month through the Australian governments website, it was a very easy process. I think it cost around €170 but this will depend on the exchange rate on the date you apply for it.

I have no idea about the boyfriend/de facto thing, in my opinion it would be no harm to tick the de facto option anyway.

You can get the visa through usit without insurance but why pay more money when you can do it yourself. Usit guarantee the visa within 48 hours, I had my confirmation email within an hour.

I am just praying every night that I get a job asap when I arrive there as I will have roughly $6000 which isn't alot of money if you're looking for work for a good few weeks.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

great - i seen the australian website as being the most straighforward.

I am getting insurance through getcover.ie - seems ok round 120e!

One other thing, how are you setting up your bank account and who did you book flights through?

Thanks

Gonna go with get cover also as they seem to be the cheapest option but have equal benefits to other insurance companies who charge way more.

As far as I am aware it is easier to set up your bank account within 6 weeks when you first arrive as you do not have to provide an address just your passport. You can set it up before you go but they require alot more documentation kind of like the anti money laundering documentation here.

Booked my flights through Sayit with Malaysian Airlines flying Cork-London-Kuala Lumpur-Melbourne and returning a year later or maybe not who knows :) If I want to change the return date think I just pay an additional €100 so happy out with that.

Just to sort out a job now and happy days!

So did you jest book the return for next july and pan to change it?

Also geetting a tax number?!Im deliberating over whether its just as handy to pay the extra money and get this stuff sorted - is it in reality fairly easy to organise??

Anyone actually done this?!

What are you working in jockey#1?! I have been told work will be easy enough to come by but then you do hear the stories of people being left for months without work. Besides the financial aspects of that, I would die of boredem!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Also geetting a tax number?!Im deliberating over whether its just as handy to pay the extra money and get this stuff sorted - is it in reality fairly easy to organise??

What are you working in jockey#1?! I have been told work will be easy enough to come by but then you do hear the stories of people being left for months without work. Besides the financial aspects of that, I would die of boredem!!!

Hey Linola_c,

Getting a tax number should be a breeze once you get over there - also re bank accounts make sure to set one up within 6 weeks of arrival.

As regards jobs - really depends on multiple factors, including where you go, but more on what you are happy to work at, for how long (e.g. whether you want to intersperse working with travelling), how much savings you have etc. Australia isn't unaffected by the downturn but sources say that there are jobs to be had if you look for them!

You sound like a perfect candidate for a 10 euro ebook I have produced on all aspects of moving to and living & working in Oz :) - it's linked from my blog below and you might find it handy. There's a list of chapters too to give you an overview of the info.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I done my Tax file number through Visa first as it was part of the Kick start package (this was 5 years ago), really you give them the information once you are in Australia.

I just sent them all the info and the ATO sent my TFN to them and they emailed to me. It took about 3-4 days.

See attached

Flight is booked to return next April but this is just a "dummy" date, we need to ring up in a few months and give them a definite date as they can only book 332 days in advance.

I am unemployed at the moment but I am a qualified accountant, things are meant to be very good for accountants over there based on people I know over there but then I know a mate of mine came back as he couldn't find work but he didn't look outside Sydney so I believe that was his problem. I think you just need to be proactive and be flexible in what you want to do. I am willing to do any type of work but an accounting job would be nice. What do you do yourself? I'm bored off my tree here on the dole last 4 months so that is why I decided to bite the bullet and head off now while I can!

Getting a tax no is meant to be an easy process, you can just apply online when you arrive downunder. I wouldn't bother paying someone for this as the money could be used for better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

great - i seen the australian website as being the most straighforward.

I am getting insurance through getcover.ie - seems ok round 120e!

One other thing, how are you setting up your bank account and who did you book flights through?

Thanks

try air asia , london-kuala lumpur-melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

You can get you tax file number online when you get there, Save the money.

Ditto with bank account, do it within the first few weeks. I waited too long and had to produce more ID and address.

But once you get your VISA inserted into your passport, (this is done at the major airports, or you have to go to an immigration office in the city). then you can get your tax file number. it's not a big deal doing it yourself.

And get the VISA online.

USIT and the like make a fortune doing stuff that could take a few minutes for yourself to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Also, good banks are Commonwealth, and Westpac, Don't use a small bank that is only in one or two states, as then they don't have ATMs nationwide.

Mobile.

Don't get vodafone, their coverage is rubbish outside the populated cities.

Telstra is the best coverage, cos when you get into the sticks, Telstra is your best bet for a signal. This is important if you are working on a farm in fruit picking. We could get a signal on our telstra, just one bar (enough to stay in contact), and nothing on my vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

Got my working visa through usit which was handy, but after that any of there services seem to be a farce, we set the TFN and bank accounts through them, the lost our money for 4 weeks when arrived as it was meant to be in our accounts and my TFN was for the wrong guy. So i would say use usit for the visa and nothing else, dint let them bully you as they can be quite aggressive in there sales. I was in Melbourne for a year and am planing on going back for 3 years next month. There wasn't much of a down turn there at all. I also feel it was the nicest city in terms of the vibe and the people. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

cooper90 wrote: »
    Got my working visa through usit which was handy, but after that any of there services seem to be a farce, we set the TFN and bank accounts through them, the lost our money for 4 weeks when arrived as it was meant to be in our accounts and my TFN was for the wrong guy. So i would say use usit for the visa and nothing else, dint let them bully you as they can be quite aggressive in there sales. I was in Melbourne for a year and am planing on going back for 3 years next month. There wasn't much of a down turn there at all. I also feel it was the nicest city in terms of the vibe and the people. best of luck.

Or how about Usit for nothing? Save yourself a few quid filling in the form yourself with exactly the same info that Usit request from you...

wow great thanks for everyones help!

Jockey#1 i have just finished up college in May, i have a corporate law degree and an LL.B. I am working in a law firm in dublin at the moment. My boyfriend is a carpenter so im anticipating that he will find work easier than myself. I am hopeful that something will come up in the legal sector, I have been told it appears to be doing quite well and i should find work easily enough but we shall see!

This de facto thing is really puzzling me. Im not sue what sort of evidence you have to produce to show that we are living together now. You need to have lived together and have evidence thereof to be able to satisfy the 12mth cohabiting requirement. So if we try to appl for this out there we wont technically have lived togerth for a year unless we do the 2nd year visas of which case we would have to do the fruit picking etc. Anyone have any experience with these?

In case of flights the sayit website seems quite good. Anyone else get a good deal on flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

Heading over to Oz for the year n Novemeber. I haven't applied for the WHV as of yet. I am wondering, is the 1150 visa the correct one to apply for? Should I apply for it now as I am not sure whether the one year visa begins when you receive it or when you actually land in the country?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Bosco26 wrote: »
    Heading over to Oz for the year n Novemeber. I haven't applied for the WHV as of yet. I am wondering, is the 1150 visa the correct one to apply for? Should I apply for it now as I am not sure whether the one year visa begins when you receive it or when you actually land in the country?

Thanks

No 417 is what you want, and when you have it, you have 1 year to arrive in australia, and it is valid for 1 year on the day you land

so if buy now, you have till 5/8/11 to land in Aus, and it's valid for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

Cheers, thanks

Advertisement