Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a second rabbit.

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:53pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I Have a 3 year old lionhead. Its always been just him & he pretty much has the run of the place . He is pretty well trained around the house & has his own spaces.
    I have been offered another young lion head (a baby)
    Just wondering how would he react? Would he be happy with this or has he been too long on his own.?
    Any information appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

It could work, depending on a numer of factors. Firstly, is your guy neutered? If not, he is going to fight with another male & you know what will happen if you get him a female companion ;)

We introduced a second rabbit to our (neutered & spoiled!) male when he was just short of a year old. We took on an adult female from rescue. Set up two cages, side by side so that they could see, hear, smell each other - same with two separate runs in the garden. After about a week we introduced them on neutral territory - use a smallish room with not too much furniture, etc. Did this a couple of times a day, increasing time together. They were both quite excited at these early meetings - lots of chasing (& mounting :D) each other but no agression.

Once we were sure they were OK with each other, we started to put them in a large outside run together, starting for 15-20 min & then increasing their time together. It was then easy to put them into the same cage. All in all, it took about 3 weeks but we had no agression or territory issues & they really enjoy each others company now, about 2 months on. They eat together, squash into a little basket together & use each other as pillows on sunny days :) The female is off to be neutered tomorrow, so we are going to house them separately again until her stitches are out & I'm sure they will miss each other.

We did consider taking on a younger rabbit as the second one but thought the inequality in size & strength might be too risky?

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That helps a lot & has given me plenty to think about. Thanks LisaO.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would agree with Lisa on this one, he should be neutered if not already ideally rabbits should be neutered between 5-6 months and 3 years after that they are obviously getting older so the older the rabbit the riskier the op. But if he's definitley a male then the op would be quick and should be straight forward if you have an experienced rabbit vet.

There's info. on my site below on before and after care when neutering a rabbit.

He could love the company but would go with Lisas idea of how to introduce them. Mind you even if you do some rabbits just clash personality wise and don't get on just like any of us really.

At the same time rabbits do love the company of another bun and it could give your guy a new lease of life, having them live side by side until the new baby bun is spayed/neutered will help and then after recovered from the op they could be introduced and hopefully live happily ever after.
    That way the baby bun by the time it's neutered/spayed would be more equal in size as well.

It will take time though but if you have the time and funds to neuter/vaccinate etc. a second bun I'd go for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for that. Your site is very informative also.
    Money would not be an issue, I would be concerned with the safety of the operation at this stage of his little life.;)
    Think we need to have a think about this again & see where to go from here.(There is a little bit more involved than I thought)
    Thanks for all the info & input. Much appriciated.

It's nice to see someone putting their rabbit first sounds like he's well loved, any piccies of him?

• Advertisement

Not great, but the only one I can find at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

He's gorgeous. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Aww he's a dote, love his colouring:D

When he gets a new coat he's jet black.

Advertisement