Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for a Single phaseBand saw please.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got the Record BS300, and the only problem I have with it is with the mechanism for locking the fence which readily comes loose unless you really put some force into it, however looking at the website it would appear that they've redesigned it .. it looks very different to mine in any case.

Regarding the 2 speed thing, I've just had a look and it would appear to be a case of swapping the drive belt over to a different set of pulleys and looks a bit fiddly. Wouldn't be a thing you'd want to do very often. FWIW mine would appear to be on the higher of the two speeds, and I have no trouble getting through pieces of ash as thick as the saw will take.

You can get replacement blades anywhere that sells them inc. McQuillans ... they come in all kinds of standard lengths, but even if you have some weird size, there are places that can make up any length blade in any tpi you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

There is no real need for variable speed band saws cutting wood by hand IMO. Re-sawing with a power feed, it is usually helpful to have more horse-power.
    Metal cutting band saws are another kettle of fish, variable speeds come into play as different metal require specific speeds.

Here is a book on Bandsaws from 1934. Free to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Many thanks to Alun and DB, the latter's link to the book means I will get the iPad!!
    Its well written and helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have an early record bs350. This a pain in the neck - all the original design faults that have since been ironed out, are present in this machine. A good looking but chronic machine. The blade guides are disastrous, requiring adjustment every time they are raised or lowered. The fence is sloppy. The rack and pinion system came away from the casing.
    A great machine if you like fettling things, but steer clear if you just want to work.
    I hear nothing but good words about the Scheppach bandsaws. have you considered a second hand Startrite?
    I agree with Double Barrel - one speed is as much as you'll need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm in the market for a decent industrial rated bandsaw at the mo', nothing too big or heavy duty (as I neither have the space nor the money) but something thats sturdy, strong and reliable. I was looking at a few of the Axminster ones, heard all round good reviews about them, so, I requested a delivery price to the Rep. of Ireland. I was told it'd cost £117 for delivery!!! :eek:

Think I'll look a bit closer to home so and see what I come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

One of the best purchases I ever made - a butcherboy bandsaw.

Not ideal for making veneer sheets :D:D
    but has an 18" cut - so big blocks of timber can be shaped.

It's stainless steel so never rusts - all for 200punt 10 years ago.

pic of same

got it from a butchers shops that was closing

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

K, what sets this design apart is the sliding table across the blade which means that the hands, or forehead:) are never in the path of the blade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Was interested in a Fox 14" bandsaw which was selling at what seemed a great price, so, went to have a look at it today and I'm glad I did so!! The build quality was pretty poor and the construction seemed very light, in fact I could nearly flex the machine by having one hand near the top and one at the lower door and forcing it!! Looked to have a poor finish, a very sloppy mitre gauge and generally didnt appeal!

Compared this then to the Record Power BS300E and BS350s and theyre a different breed! Far more sturdy and solidly constructed and basically a better look and feel. Better tilt mechanism on the table, a sturdier and more robust 'industrial' type bar rip fence and better roller guides.

Just thought I'd throw that in incase anyone else was interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Well, I have the Jet 20" Mk1... similar to this from Axminster
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jwbs-20-mk2-bandsaw-prod576907/

but the Mark 1 version, not sure of the difference. It's single phase, I bought it when it was on 33% off, so I paid 66% of the full price, or about 1,000. Pretty good deal at the time, I don't pay VAT so it worked out cheaper again I think.. the machine is very solid and seems to be well tuned up.

I've used it to resaw Oak planks, to make thinner pieces, 8mm or so, for backs and panels etc.. it seems to work pretty well... cutting through four or five inches of Oak can't be that easy.

Dragon Blades are recommended for blades, on UKWorkshops.co.uk... I think he may have gone out of business now, unfortunately. Like others say anyone can weld a bandsaw blade, but it must be done quite well, with no bumps or bends etc... if it's not ground down perfectly it'll affect the cuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Dragon Blades, as Joe says, have gone out of buisness, but the main man in there, Ian John, is back in buisness, contact him at sales@tuffsaws.com . These blades are highly reconmended in the ukworkshop forum. The blades are called Tuffcut I think now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement