Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College worries

• 19-07-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im starting college in september and doing a course i have always wanted to do. But there weren't alot of courses (only one) when i was finishing up with school 10 years ago so i went off and did something completely different.

So i am going back to my dream and since there are more courses being offered, i am going for it now at 27. I got accepted on the course i want but it means giving up with everything and moving away.

By giving up everything i mean giving up with work and earning nothing. I never liked my job so its a relief im getting out soon. But it was money. I will also be moving away which is great cause i think its about time i get out of home. So i will have rent, bills, food etc and no money coming in. Unfortunately im not entitled to the grant. I have some savings, not alot but its something. No other option but to get a job, i guess.

So i now have the stress of thinking about money, finding a job, moving away and not knowing a soul in a town i don't know well. My biggest worry is money. Not sure how i will cope with it all but i really don't want to be stressing myself out. Maybe i should relax and live off the savings? I think i may enough for first year and i haven't thought about the second year. Take a year out and save again for second year? Take a year out, go on the dole and claim btea for second year? Is that mad completing a 2 year course in 3 years?

Basically, i have been thinking about forgetting about the whole thing but i came this far? I don't know what to do, any advice? How do i stop worrying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

It's very hard to stop worrying op. Money is important but you should jump at the chance of doing the course if that's what you really want to do.

I'm under a good bit of financial pressure but I took the plunge and returned to do a 4 year course last year . . . I'm 31 now. Yes it's hard, yes it can get hungry from time to time but really, once your rent is paid and you live close to the college, you can survive on very little.

Two years will fly as well and college can be a great source of various supports such as the union, the counselling office etc.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Your lucky your doing it at 27 and not 17!

Plenty of people do it and manage it at that age or close to it. So don't even consider giving it up now.

Would you be able to get a part-time job while in college?

Will you have a dissertation/thesis to write in the summer between the two years? that could be another opportunity to earn more.

As the other poster has said college's generally have a great support system for people who genuinely need financial help.

No need to worry you will survive. There are hungry, dirty students all over the country that are surviving just fine. Your joining a good group!!

Best of luck with it all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 st_andalou

First of all, well done on following what you want to do.

Don't let money put you off. It seems like you have enough money to get you through first year. I think it's possible to do.

A part-time job is possible if you're organized. Try not to go above 12 hours a week, though, or it could get in the way of your studies.

You mentioned the dole. You can't sign on (as far as I know) if you're a registered student, even if you're on a year out.

One option is working during the summer. Move home with your parents to save on rent, work for the summer, and it will see you through a good bit of the college year. I don't think the option of taking a year out after each year of study is a good one. I don't even know if it's possible.

Many colleges can help you out if you're in trouble financially. Your college will have a financial advisor, so make an appointment to see him/her straight away.

For accommodation there are loads of options. Start early, look around. Some people in my year lived in digs. They were cheap and had meals provided. Again get in touch with your college and request any info they have on accommodation options. If you start now you'll beat the rush.

But listen, definitely go for it. It's scary but worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm kind of thinking i might get away with signing on during a year out because the course i am doing is a one year course and from that i can progress and do another year but its a different course. So i might get away with it? As in finish up after first year and then decide a year later to go back. Of course if i do take a year out, my ideal plan would to obviously get some work experience for the course and save. Maybe im thinking to much? I should get first year over with first. Nice to have some plan though.

Advertisement