Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cohabiting couple on benefits

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I am currently on a Fás course that give me an allowance that is equivalent to the disability allowance i was on before i started the course. I am on rent allowance and live currently alone. My girlfriend is on disability benefit and is privately renting a room in a shared house. We are considering moving in together and would like to know whether we would lose any benefit as a consequence. Also because rents are so low it is possible to get a 2 bed place with our max allowance of €800. I have seen several 2 bed places on daft within the allowance but will a community welfare officer permit a couple with no children to have a 2 bed place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

as long as it is within the limit for the area you live in then the CWO should have no problem with the amount of bedrooms however you must make sure you fit the criteria see link below

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 finglasfrank65

Thanks very much for the information it was most helpful.......I am pretty sure we qualify for rent supplement but will run it by the cwo before committing to the idea.
    My one more question was.....Assuming we qualify for rent supplement can we then live anywhere in Ireland. For example i am currently living in a Dublin City Council area but would like to live in Balbriggan a Fingal Council Area...is this possibe?????
    Thanks again for taking the time to answer first query:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you can live where ever you like as long as you stick to the rent allowance rate for that area as for which co co your on doesnt matter just as long as your on one best of luck with everything was thinking of moving to ballbriggan myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You will need to inform both the CWO where you are now and the one where you wish to move to and fill all forms again in respect of new place, including having the new landlord give info and sign.

Advertisement