Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health and performance OR science????

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hii
    was just wondering if anyone knows whether you can go on to become a physiotherapist after doing health and performance in ucd? or would it be better to do science first?? i dont know what to put 1st on cao!! :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

From what I read on http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DBAllCareerFrame.jsp?id=191 you need a degree in physiotherapy to "be entitled to membership of the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists."

So if you want to go straight into physio, then you'll have to do one of the following:

DN006 Physiotherapy - Level 8 (UCD)
    LM100 Physiotherapy - Level 8 (UL)
    RC004 Physiotherapy - Level 8 (RCSI)
    TR053 Physiotherapy - Level 8 (TCD)

However, there appears to be postgraduate courses which you can do after you do your primery degree which you allow you to do physio. So if you do either health and performance or science, you'll have to do a postgraduate course.

I must stress, this is my understanding of it, and I could be wrong. Hope that is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

I'm not entirely sure about this but my friend just finished H&P and is considering a course in Edinburgh. I think its a 2 year course for graduate students. I'd say you could do it having done either H&P or science but from what I've heard about the H&P course I think it'd be a better choice if you're set on physio. A lot of modules are the same as physio ones and considering its a relatively new course I imagine more grad options would become available.

Other than that there's the graduate entry to physio which only requires a 2:1 in any degree discipline. Not sure of the length of the course etc but again i imagine you'd be better off with H&P for entry.

Anyway have a look at uni websites especially edinburgh as lots of people study physio there. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Surely you would put physiotherapy first if you want to become a physiotherapist?!

Otherwise, science or H&P would both give you a good background and qualification for getting into a post-grad physio degree. Probably best to pick whichever one you'd prefer as you'll have to study it for 4 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

My friend is doing H & P and he's in the same modules as the physios bar one or two and he doesn't do a fourth year. H & P is certainly a lot more simular to physio than science, and shorter so it's probably better than science if you're looking to do a physio post grad. Then again, a science degree is a great thing to have if you decide against the post grad or cant find a job in physio when you actually become a qualified physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizzy.b

thanks for all the advice..you really did help me clear up a few things i was unsure of! gonna put h&p ahead of science but fingers crossed ill get physio as 1st pref anyway! thanks again! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement