Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Track spins

• 19-07-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in meeting at Sundrive of a Sunday evening and spending some time going around in circles?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone interested in meeting at Sundrive of a Sunday evening and spending some time going around in circles?
    Nah - only do ovals myself:)

Any particular Sunday(s) in mind? (it's the national senior championships next weekend, although I presume they will be finished by late afternoon, weather permitting) I need to spend some time setting up my new track bike (trying different gears for example), and would happily try and get down some Sunday evenings over the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Great. I'd go over this Sunday, but need to sort way to get bike over there, otherwise Sunday after. I don't mind once it's after 3 really. I warn you though, I was only acredited in May or early June and am very slow, but really need to get some practice in.

Eh, I've just seen your training logs, maybe I should have highlighted beginner somewhere. At the same time, if you're game for it, I am.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great. I'd go over this Sunday, but need to sort way to get bike over there, otherwise Sunday after. I don't mind once it's after 3 really. I warn you though, I was only acredited in May or early June and am very slow, but really need to get some practice in.
    Don't worry - I was only accredited at Sundrive in April!

I suspect the track championships may not have wound up by 3 next Sunday.

The Sunday after would be ideal for me, as I will not be racing that weekend - just recovering from the Tour de Kilkenny (may be doing a vets race this Sunday)

Where are you based? I'll be driving anyway (from North County Dublin), and could pick you up (drop me a PM if you could do with a lift)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What's the story in using the velodrome at Sundrive, do you have to pay someone for it's use or can anyone use it if it isn't already in use?
    I had to look up Sundrive as I know the area as Eamon Ceannt Park, I sometimes go running there and sometimes see the track cyclists but it's often vacant in the evenings.

Sounds good, I am on Northside too, but will try and organise to get myself there. If it fails I'll give you a buzz.

Anyone else up for it, it'd be cool to get a few going around?

I wonder will we need to bring a brush?

• Advertisement

What's the story in using the velodrome at Sundrive, do you have to pay someone for it's use or can anyone use it if it isn't already in use?
    I had to look up Sundrive as I know the area as Eamon Ceannt Park, I sometimes go running there and sometimes see the track cyclists but it's often vacant in the evenings.
    You don't need to pay for it - if it's not in use, you can simply take your bike down (and climb over the fence!). However there are a number of organised events that will have exclusive use of the track - check out the calendar on www.trackcycling.ie as the "formal" events are listed there

Cool thanks, was thinking of bringing the bike down some evening alright to give it a go as it looks deadly and would be one sure way of trying to work on speed without hitting potholes and destroying the bike and yourself. I was thinking of climbing over the fence but didn't know if someone would come and run me from the place or what the situation was as there are no notices anywhere in the park, well none that I could see anyway.

If it's a case that you can generally use the velodrome similar to the rest of the park when not occupied then why do they lock the gate since climbing over the fence runs the risk of someone hurting themselves in the process.

Cool thanks, was thinking of bringing the bike down some evening alright to give it a go as it looks deadly and would be one sure way of trying to work on speed without hitting potholes and destroying the bike and yourself. I was thinking of climbing over the fence but didn't know if someone would come and run me from the place or what the situation was as there are no notices anywhere in the park, well none that I could see anyway.

If it's a case that you can generally use the velodrome similar to the rest of the park when not occupied then why do they lock the gate since climbing over the fence runs the risk of someone hurting themselves in the process.

They'd probably still like to discourage it. Leave the gate open and god knows waht'd happen with kids on it etc.

just bumping this as a reminder if anyone else wants to head over this Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

what time?

• Advertisement

Would hope to be arriving over there between 3:30 and 4pm?

I thought the Vets champs were on this weekend ... might be a bit early if you want to avoid bumping into older yet much faster than you people. If I join I'll be on my fixie.

I thought the Vets champs were on this weekend ... might be a bit early if you want to avoid bumping into older yet much faster than you people. If I join I'll be on my fixie.

Hmm I did check the calendar and didn't see anything mentioned. Also mailed them to check, but no reply?

My Bad ... the vets champs are saturday not the full weekend.

was thinking of adding the TT bars on the fixie a la blorg ....

Graeme_Obree.jpg

I thought the Vets champs were on this weekend ...

I think it's the European Masters that are shown in Green on the trackcycling.ie calendar that you were thinking of - they are actually taking place in Manchester - the vets omnium was a couple of weeks ago, and the IVCA championships are in September
    might be a bit early if you want to avoid bumping into older yet much faster than you people.
    who knows who you might find on the track ;)
    was thinking of adding the TT bars on the fixie a la blorg ....
    - I'll be trying out my new aero bars also

Maybe we should try and dig out a stopwatch and try a couple of 500m TTs and 200m flying starts?

Anyone up for this Sunday if the weather is good?

Saturday and Sunday are the vets championships. I would imagine the track will be in use until late afternoon

Beasty wrote: »
    Saturday and Sunday are the vets championships. I would imagine the track will be in use until late afternoon

Bugger, forgot to check that. Would it be over by 5 I wonder?

• Advertisement

Bugger, forgot to check that. Would it be over by 5 I wonder?
    I would guess so - outline timetable is here although they do not go into any detail for Sunday pm (Saturday should be over by 3pm though). It also depends on numbers and if there are any rain delays

Today's racing was rained off, and they'll try and fit in 2 days racing tomorrow. The weather remains a bit unpredictable, and I think they will struggle to get it all in by 5 tomorrow. Even if they do, there remains the risk of rain, so I would suggest leaving this until another day.

I think tomorrow is, as you said, definitely out. So anyone on for next Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I've been meaning to have a look down there but haven't any experience.
    Would you mind a noob coming down to have a look.

abcdggs wrote: »
    I've been meaning to have a look down there but haven't any experience.
    Would you mind a noob coming down to have a look.

I'm a noob myself. Did the accreditation, but have only been out once since. Did you do teh accreditation?

I'm a noob myself. Did the accreditation, but have only been out once since. Did you do teh accreditation?
    Nope, Haven't done the accreditation yet. Is it finished until next season?

I've tried it out a couple of evenings during the week, doesn't seem to be anyone there on Thurs evenings. The few times I've been there I've done a 1hr TT but really struggling with any sort of speed, furthest I've got is just under 33km which I think is pretty slow. This is on a road bike with no TT bars but finding it pretty tough going and very different to the road with the constant pedaling. Have been trying to keep a cadence of around 90 so finding it a good workout. Hopefully the speed will come in time.

IIRC they were doing accreditations over last winter. The calendar on the track cycling website does not include anything at present, but that may simply be because the have not yet finalised details. You could always drop them a line via the website

If there are only a couple on the track, you could probably get away with having a go without accreditation, particularly if you are already comfortable on a fixie

If you want I can PM you a PDF guide that includes the basic safety rules and other pointers.

• Advertisement

If you want I can PM you a PDF guide that includes the basic safety rules and other pointers.
    That would be excellent!
    I was talking to blorg about it a while ago and he was saying the last one was about a month ago. If you hear anything about accreditation could you throw up a post, i only live around the corner and would be very interested

Advertisement