Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Qualifications

Options
  • 19-07-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi,
    i am currently in a job i really dislike and having spoke to numerous people, i would love to go for teaching. the problem is i am 26 and i have no qualifications after my leaving certificate. what is the quickest way to go through the process and how long should it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to university as a mature student and get a primary degree. Then you will have to go on and get teaching qualification.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

somecard wrote: »
    hi,
    i am currently in a job i really dislike and having spoke to numerous people, i would love to go for teaching. the problem is i am 26 and i have no qualifications after my leaving certificate. what is the quickest way to go through the process and how long should it take?

Fastest is four years. No quick way I'm afraid.
    But then again, would you want someone who took a quick way teaching your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Jen199 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some information regarding the requirements to become a secondary or primary school teacher.

My boyfriend has an arts degree in English and History and would like to become a teacher. He does not have Hons Irish in his leaving cert.

I was hoping someone could answer these questions:-

1. Is it easier to become a secondary school teacher than a primary school teacher?

2. Do you have to do your h.dip before you can teach secondary school?

3. Where can you do the h.dip? Are there many places? is it hard to become accepted?

4. Can you teach in primary schools without Hons Irish?

5. If you do hons Irish seperately, is this accepted?

6. Where can you do Hons Irish? How long does it take?

7. Once you've done Irish, what do you have to do then?

8. If it is an additional course, is it hard to get into? Where can you do it, are there many places etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

I am a bit concerned about your first question. Primary and Secondary teaching each require their own skills and abilities. I would be worried about someone choosing one or the other because it was easier to get in. You really must want to teach, for its own sake, otherwise you could be letting yourself in for a very frustrating career.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

looksee wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned about your first question. Primary and Secondary teaching each require their own skills and abilities. I would be worried about someone choosing one or the other because it was easier to get in. You really must want to teach, for its own sake, otherwise you could be letting yourself in for a very frustrating career.
    The post you replied to was posted in 2006.

I am going to move today's posts to a new thread to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

somecard wrote: »
    hi,
    what is the quickest way to go through the process and how long should it take?

There is no "quickest way" and I for one, am thankful for that. If you really want to be a teacher, do a degree followed by a PGDE for secondary (4-5 years) or a BEd for primary (4 years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 delta42

Can’t advise about secondary teaching, but here are some options for primary teaching.
    You could apply to St. Patrick’s Drumcondra as a mature student
    http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/administration/mature/documents/StPatsBrochurePDF.pdf
    The B. Ed. Course takes 3 years.
    You could do a degree and apply for the St. Patrick’s graduate diploma (18 months full time) or the Hibernian College ‘Higher Diploma in Arts in Primary Education’ (min. duration 2 academic years, part time). http://www.hiberniacollege.net/SchoolofEducation/HDipinArtsinPrimaryEducation/tabid/63/Default.aspx
    Before investing so much time and money, you would need to be sure that you would like teaching. Have you any experience in working with children? This might also be useful if you were interviewed for any of the above courses. Your standard of Irish might also be a factor.
    While the mature student route is the shortest, the graduate route would give you more options if you changed your mind about teaching. If you are unhappy in your job, look at all the options out there, and don’t make up your mind in a hurry.
    Best of luck for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lduff

Just wondering can anyone give me some info. I have a pass degree and went back to college and got 1st hnrs with Hibernia in 2006 and am permanent since then. I have been getting 70.60 bi-weekly as a pass degree qualification allowance since 2006. Just wondering does anyone know if I am also entitled to an allowance for the first hnrs Hdip on top of the pass degree allowance. Very hard to get any info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would think so,yes

Yea thought so too. But payroll told me this morning that I only get a pass allowance and that the first hnrs hdip just entitled me to go in at the 3rd point of the scale. I thought that came in in 2011 but that if you were pre that (I'm 2006) that you could hold the 2 allowances together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

lduff wrote: »
    Yea thought so too. But payroll told me this morning that I only get a pass allowance and that the first hnrs hdip just entitled me to go in at the 3rd point of the scale. I thought that came in in 2011 but that if you were pre that (I'm 2006) that you could hold the 2 allowances together.

Are you primary or secondary?
    At primary level I believe it is only a degree allowance. If secondary it is degree plus hdip allowance.

• Advertisement

I'm a primary school teacher. So maybe that explains it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I have a masters in engineering and I'm interested in secondary teaching. What would I need to do to be a science or maths teacher? Would I need an Irish qualification aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I have a masters in engineering and I'm interested in secondary teaching. What would I need to do to be a science or maths teacher? Would I need an Irish qualification aswell?

No. Youd need to get your degree checked by the teaching council and address any shortfall in subject qualifications.

Then you'd need to do the Professional Masters in Education to qualify.

Im not sure but it might be possible to do the PME and pick up the extra modules at the same time. Would be worth checking with one of the colleges maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Teaching subjects depend on your degree - TC generally don't take Masters content into account in this regard. I know several engineers who have tried teaching. Some were approved for nothing without extra study, most were approved for Applied Maths. They all had to to do extra modules to qualify for Maths. One also added Physics - he also had to do extra study and was told even more would be required after a certain cut off (2017 I think) as you will also need 10 Chemistry and 10 Biology credits to qualify in Physics now.

You then have to do the 2 year PME.

Advertisement