Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I wonder which country has the higher level of domestic football: Brazil or holland?

• 20-07-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Holland produces these players who score, for example, 56 goals in 61 games but fail to make it abroad. The same happens enough in Brazil, like ya man Neymar, he has 27 goals in 29 games and is only 18. Though these type of players seem to be more successfull from Brazil. This got me thinking.

If the Brazilian teams were to switch places with Eredivisie, with the Brazilian league still selling its Ronaldos, Ronaldinho, Kakas, Romario etc at a young age to the big 3, do you think the Brazilian sides would do better in the champions league/UEFA Cup?

I think they would.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Random, but interesting thought. Hard to compare non european sides to european sides, probably because I have rarely rarely ever seen brazilian teams play, but judging from some of the players in these leagues and how well some do when they transfer to bigger leagues, I'd imagine the upper half of the Brazilian league is similar enough to leagues such as Portugal and Holland, would love to see some kind of proper tournament put in place for inter continental clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CorkMan wrote: »
    Holland produces these players who score, for example, 56 goals in 61 games but fail to make it abroad.

Like?

Van Basten? RVN? Gullit? Rijkaard? Bergkamp? De Boers? Koeman? Off the top of my head.

Cant think any players who didnt make it abroad? Huntelaar maybe?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Like?

Van Basten? RVN? Gullit? Rijkaard? Bergkamp? De Boers? Koeman? Off the top of my head.

Cant think any players who didnt make it abroad? Huntelaar maybe?
    Kuyt you could argue never recreated his scoring record.

Chelsea bought some guy when they first got money who never did much, can't remember his name though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Kuyt you could argue never recreated his scoring record.

Chelsea bought some guy when they first got money who never did much, can't remember his name though.

Majeta Kezman. 105 goals in 122 games for PSV, 4 in 25 for Chelsea. At least according to Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

but he wasn't dutch! neither was alfonso alves who scored feckloads or suarez who is the current wonder. Dutch league tends to have more foreigners playing in it than brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'Dutch league not as strong as other leagues' shocker.

The likes of Kezman, Alves and Gorgeous Georgios Samaras are all decent players but couldn't manage the step from a second rate league to a first rate one.

The Brazil issue is different in the sense that it is the style of football that is the problem, not the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Completely different Sharks Ted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

...would love to see some kind of proper tournament put in place for inter continental clubs.

Unfortunately players already have way too many games in their calendars. No way would you fit another club competition in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The Brazilian league is pretty poor from most things i've read about it... They have a couple of different competitions.. the league, local league/cup tournament etc. It is very hard to compare them though.

Brazilian teams sell their up and coming stars for loads of cash, so the clubs go from season to season filling gaps with journey-men.

The Tim Vickery columns on BBC are a very good insight into Brazil in particular as well as south american football.

Advertisement