Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel has large cut on front leg

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi There

Brought my springer for a walk this evening, and usually bring him to a field so he can run around off his lead. Anyway this evening he spotted a wild hare, and went running after it and disappeared into a ditch after it. when he came out he was very quiet, and wasnt really interested in walking any further. when i got home i realised on is front leg a very large wound, like the skin had been split, but wasnt bleeding , just was red around the wound. I had an antibiotic cream i got off the vet before for a small cut before so i managed to put some of that on the cut, but he was very protective, and wouldnt really let me near it. He keeps licking at it now and wont leave it alone. I just wanted some advice on this whether to keep using the cream and see how it heels up or to bring him to the vet tomorrow

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Depending on how deep it is, those kinds of wounds can really harbour bacteria and get infected. By rights it needs to be flushed out with saline. Dog might need an antibiotic as a precaution and some pain relief. It might even need a stitch. Very hard to say without seeing the wound. I would ring the vet tomorrow and ask if they think you should bring him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Thanks for help!

I brought him to the vet today, and he's going in tomorrow to get it stitched up, as the vet thought it was a very nasty cut

Advertisement