Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What software do most web designers use?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What software do most web designers use? What software makes good graphics for websites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ingenuist

Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

GOOGLE

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Photoshop, Illustrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Gimp. kompoZer.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Trojan wrote: »
    Photoshop, Illustrator.

What can you do in Illustrator that you can't do in Photoshop? Is it mainly for creating vector images?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What can you do in Illustrator that you can't do in Photoshop? Is it mainly for creating vector images?

An awful lot! I barely use it myself, but my lead designer is an Illustrator wizard, the stuff he can do with it is incredible. It's a really powerful tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Is there any thing simple to use to make graphics from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

photoshop, but to be honest, these days everything can be done with css, most websites only rely on backdrops and some effects.
    Back in the day full websites needed to be done in photoshop, specially for buttons etc etc

anyway you need photoshop to design your mockup, then slice and code it etc
    so adobe photoshop, could use paintshop pro or gimp, but photoshop is most widely used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Fireworks + Dreamweaver combo works best for me. Photoshop for some more complex graphics/photo editing if need be, but most of web layout work can be done in Fireworks much better and faster.

Darkphenom wrote: »
    Is there any thing simple to use to make graphics from scratch
    GIMP is pretty simple, other than that its photoshop which is far more complex.

You could always use MS Paint if you only need to create something very basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Ingenuist wrote: »
    GIMP is pretty simple, other than that its photoshop which is far more complex.

You could always use MS Paint if you only need to create something very basic.

Just as an example what did you use to create your signature graphic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Photoshop + Dreamweaver (only for the handy auto complete, never in the design mode..that confuses me! :p)

Learn how to use CSS properly and you'll be flying. That's where the magic happens after you've the design ready in Photoshop.

I guess to each their own though. I'd love to give Illustrator a proper go some time.

Darkphenom wrote: »
    Just as an example what did you use to create your signature graphic?
    Photoshop :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a typical day, depending on what I'm being asked to do, it would be any one of the following:

Photoshop - for concepts, designs, graphics
    Flash (though sometimes use FlashDevelop) - for Flash, naturally.
    Aptana Studio - for HTML, CSS, JavaScript scripting
    Microsoft Visual Studio - for any VB / Aspx work I need to do.

Advertisement