Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rathfarnham to UCD?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

i'm going to be starting my masters in UCD in september, and i think i will be living in rathfarnham. i know i could probably find something closer, but i have friends in rathfarnham i'd like to live with.
    can anyone who has lived in rathfarnham and studied at UCD tell me what the commute is like?
    I like walking, but if it takes more than an hour I probably wouldn't. I will probably buy a bike -does anyone know how long it takes to cycle and/or if there are handy cycle lanes? are bikes pretty safe on campus once you have a decent lock?
    alternatively, what bus route would i be best getting, and are they dependable enough?

also, as for cycling into the city, if anyone has any experience on how long that takes, i'd appreciate it too.
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Where abouts in Rathfarnham? The 116 leaves from whitechurch (only once a day tho) but it goes past UCD, otherwise the 17 goes by UCD also, comes every 40 minutes or so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Depends where abouts in Rathfarnham really. But from the Yellow House you'd do it in 25 minutes going easy. Past Nutgrove, down to Upper Churchtown Road, down Lower Churctown Road towards Milltown, cross at the Luas, out at Dundrum Road, cut through Mulvey Park, out at Bird Avenue then on to UCD via Wynnsward Drive (Clonskeagh Road entrace).

Bus option is the 17. Brings you right into UCD, handy when stuck (drunk), but best avoided on a regular basis (believe me).

Never had any problem with my bike on campus but then my bike is not worth the wheels it rolls on, maybe a newer one might be more of a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

thanks for that! the house is around whitechurch and ony five minutes from the yellow house so that's all good news.

MC -i'll be hoping to find a cheap old bike too, so i suppose i need not worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Bus option is the 17. Brings you right into UCD, handy when stuck (drunk), but best avoided on a regular basis (believe me).

I'd agree with that. The bus with no timetable, it comes when it wants, and usually when you are not waiting for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The 17 is grand to be honest, got it every day last year and I only had a problem with it a handful of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

You could totally cycle from the yellow house. There are cycle lanes all the way up to the Bottle Tower. They are also putting in cycle lanes from the bottle tower to the luas bridge. The only dodgy part is cycling through dundrum - there are no cycle lanes but there are a lot of cyclists there. Also you can cut through the estate to avoid the dreaded bird avenue. Take the right turn after the mental hospital and go through that estate. This will bring you out at spar on clonskeagh road and UCD is just on that road.
    I'd say it would take 1/2 hour MAX!
    The 17 is fine as long as you get it early - otherwise it will be full!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just curious, can you not cycle over the luas bridge in DD? Like there is a footpath?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just curious, can you not cycle over the luas bridge in DD? Like there is a footpath?

You can, but why would you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh yeah, sorry.

I just saw cycling through DD, I was like hmmm could cycle over it. But bridge goes wrong way.

Advertisement