Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canyon Roadlite 6.0 - any advice?

• 20-07-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

So went into Halfords with a credit card in hand to have a look at/ purchase the Boardman comp or team, and after being refused the axa discount on the grounds of not having axa insurance (I have searched high and low, I'm just short of taking a picture of a stranger's insurance disc), I decided to broaden my search a little bit before committing to a bike...

... Which brought me to the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 ...

Anyone have any experience with it? I can't seem to find any reviews online or alternatively, judging by the spec, can anyone weigh in and finally help sway my decision??

Many thanks again!

Link: http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/specs.html?b=1818
    Price: €999

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Link to spec/price?

Without having ridden it, my only concern would be whether it's too stiff (in an "unyielding" sense) for Irish roads.

That said I was chatting to someone the other day who'd bought a carbon Canyon to replace his crashed Storck, and he reckoned the ride quality was better (than the Storck). He loved it.

I have read a few things about Canyon's being very stiff but I'm not sure if this would be too much an issue ... Its quite a nice looking thing and the finishing kit looks proper, I'm seriously considering forgetting about the Boardman and going for it

That's a cracking spec for the price, all the way down to the tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lumen wrote: »
    That's a cracking spec for the price, all the way down to the tyres.
    +1 was kind of shocked. i was thinking someone like yourself might come along and find something but obviously not.

• Advertisement

It really does look like great value, the upgrade to ultegra from 105 is a further €200, worth it in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Meh, if you have it to spend. They are functionally very similar, it's mostly weight and finish that you get, maybe slightly better feel.

If you feel it's worth it, upgrade.

If not, just buy that bike quick!

It really does look like great value, the upgrade to ultegra from 105 is a further €200, worth it in your opinion?

I probably wouldn't. 105 works just the same. You'd be better off spending the 200 on getting it serviced more often.

Also, where do you stop? There's an Athena 11 version of the Ultimate AL 8.0 for €1500.

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, where do you stop? There's an Athena 11 version of the Ultimate AL 8.0 for €1500.

Yeah that's exactly how I ended up in this whole cycling mess!!! Can't really afford the 105 version never mind the Ultergra so just have to call in a few favours now and I'll be ready to order.

Thanks for all the advice as usual!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Looks good!!! Anyone know any canyon dealers in dublin or the midlands??

• Advertisement

As far as I know they are an online only retailer.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    As far as I know they are an online only retailer.

Indeed.

"Canyon bikes are exclusively sold direct to you – without middleman."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've heard from numerous souces that their customer services are a disaster however this might mot stop me from buying one of the these fo the craic as they seem like good value.

Never having bought mail-order before, I do wonder how much steerer they leave on the fork? A mate bought a bike from Evans and it was timmed so short that there was zero room for stem height adjustment.

I'd say the leave as much as they can without compromising the steerer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Hello goldencleric,

I bought the Canyon 6.0 last September. It was the same price but came with Shimano Ultegra, rather than 105.

It's an amazing bike, and feels really good to ride. It was worth every penny, and has paid for itself, if I compare the price of a monthly tube ticket. Ten months in and no problems.

I first learnt of Canyon from blorg, and I'm forever grateful he introduced me to the brand.

I can also tell you the customer service is very good. I never had a problem. The process of ordering is a little last decade though: you order online, they ring you and then you give them your credit card details. I would advice ringing the day after you order online, and not wait for them. Two weeks after I bought my bike (Mid September 2009), Canyon had a clearance sale and there was 100 Euro off the 6.0. I bought it out of the sale, and my credit card had already been charged, but my bike was yet to be shipped. They sent me a second invoice, for the sale price, and reimbursed my credit card with 100 Euro. Now that is a company I respect!

A note relating to their frame sizing. They told me over the phone that a standard 58cm is a 60cm in Canyon measurement. Use their size calculator on the site and trust the results. You may think you're getting a bigger bike than the normal spec but you're probably getting a 2cm less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

nitrogen wrote: »
    A note relating to their frame sizing. They told me over the phone that a standard 58cm is a 60cm in Canyon measurement. Use their size calculator on the site and trust the results. You may think you're getting a bigger bike than the normal spec but you're probably getting a 2cm less.

Good to know that, sizing was a concern for me. Thanks.

Thanks Nitrogen, I was concerned that the calculator was telling me 60cm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Hey goldencleric, I have a canyon ultimate AL and a pro carbon planet X.
    I use the planet X for training and commuting.
    The canyon which is an aluminium frame is my race bike.
    The canyon is a really beautiful bike extremely light and stiff.
    Its 2 years old with lots of miles on the clock and its perfect.
    I have no experience with the roadlite.
    But I think canyon offer fantastic value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

el tel wrote: »
    I've heard from numerous souces that their customer services are a disaster however this might mot stop me from buying one of the these fo the craic as they seem like good value.

Never having bought mail-order before, I do wonder how much steerer they leave on the fork? A mate bought a bike from Evans and it was timmed so short that there was zero room for stem height adjustment.

I've read posts in other forums where people complained about Canyon customer service too, but where they gave details it seemed to arise where they wanted to tailor some aspect of the bike such as the stem length (the stock stem lengths will certainly not be to everyone's taste). I bought one a few months back and went with the stock/standard parts and had no problems at all. Well, they shipped the wrong cassette but then the one they shipped was my preferred one anyway (which wasn't offered as an option) so I was actually quite happy with the situation.

They left 15mm of steerer on mine (1x 10mm spacer, 1x 5mm spacer). I don't know if this is standard for them though. You supply your dimensions when you order and they might well cut the steerer to what they calculate to be the right/maximum height for you. You might also be able to ask them to leave it longer perhaps when ordering.

I have seen a few online complaints about their sizing guide/calculator too. A couple of those were from people who hovered on the boundary between sizes and opted for the larger size only to later realise this was the wrong choice for them - not the fault of the Canyon calculator though. A few others were people who just wanted a longer stem than would be supplied as standard, and asked for a different size to be fitted (I think this costs a little extra). Personally, I have been very happy with the size and fit of mine with the standard parts, including a short (75mm) stem. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the stem with a "standard" 100mm one at some point in the future, but this is largely because when I got into bikes a 100mm stem was considered the norm and anything else was just people "getting above themselves" and "getting all fancy" - it is hard to completely shed long term bike prejudices! Prejudices aside though, the Canyon fit calculator produced a fit which is very different from my previous bike (which I sized and built up myself, incorporating those prejudices) but which so far appears to be an excellent fit for me and raises some serious questions about what drugs I was on when I derived the fit on my previous bike :o

Incidentally, if it is any guide, I am 5' 7" and my Canyon frame is 52cm.

Edit: I didn't go for the Roadlite by the way, I went for an Ultimate CF, so while I can say that the handling of the Ultimate CF is very good I can't vouch for the handling of the Roadlite.

Thanks for all the help guys! I was fully convinced about the canyon until I noticed the Focus Variado 105 on sale down to €735 on wiggle ...

Seeing as I won't be able to afford the canyon for another month and also as my current bike is out of action, I'm going to go for the Focus!

It's a real shame in the sense that I really like the look of the Canyon and also the spec is unbeatable, but the focus is a full 300 cheaper (although 1.5kg heavier!!! :mad:), which means I can afford it immediately so I think I'm going to order it tomorrow unless anyone has any input into my decision.

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Thanks for all the help guys! I was fully convinced about the canyon until I noticed the Focus Variado 105 on sale down to €735 on wiggle ...

Seeing as I won't be able to afford the canyon for another month and also as my current bike is out of action, I'm going to go for the Focus!

It's a real shame in the sense that I really like the look of the Canyon and also the spec is unbeatable, but the focus is a full 300 cheaper (although 1.5kg heavier!!! :mad:), which means I can afford it immediately so I think I'm going to order it tomorrow unless anyone has any input into my decision.

Thanks again for all the advice!

That almost the same as the reason I got a Variado a couple of years ago -was all set to get the Canyon, and when I called to order, it was going to take 6 weeks or so, and I couldn't wait that long so went Focus, and they're a great bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

here is another option for €999. Unlike canyon you can configure crank length, handlebar size, stem etc.
    It is also about a 1/3 kg lighter. You also gain points which can be used against future purchases (approx €50 worth)
    http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-pro-2000-new-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=32157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

For future reference concerning Canyon sizing. I am 184cm, 90cm inseam, and got a 60cm frame - I would have been a 58 on a Trek.

For future reference concerning Canyon sizing. I am 184cm, 90cm inseam, and got a 60cm frame - I would have been a 58 on a Trek.

wow we're the exact same size!!! 184 and 90! just thought i'd share that :)

Advertisement