Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overpriced HDMI Cables - Currys

• 20-07-2010 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I know this topic has been discussed before, however, I saw a blatant misrepresentation of the truth yesterday in Currys that I wanted to discuss.

As I mentioned above, I was in Currys yesterday and, while looking through the store, I came across a display stand consisting of two identical Samsung LCD TVs setup side-by-side that were both playing back Monsters, Inc. on Blu-ray. Below the TVs was a cardboard sign discussing HDMI, how great it is, how it's better than other cables etc and what qualified as being a "Good", "Better" and "Best" HDMI cable; the criteria for a "Best" HDMI cable was that it had 24k gold connector plating and better shielding to provide a "cleaner signal". Also, below the sign, there was a range of cables, including the aforementioned HDMI cables.

This display stand was setup in such a way as to mislead customers into thinking that the first TV was connected using a "Good" HDMI cable, while the second TV was connected using a "Best" HDMI cable. The cost of one of the "Best" HDMI cables in a 2m length amounted to €104.95.

While this in itself is ridiculous, considering the price, there being no need for gold plating or any extra shielding in such a short length of cable, the fact that they were trying to mislead customers into thinking that there was even such a thing as a better quality HDMI cable that could offer substantially better image quality was unbelievable. While I've seen similar, but never as misleading, setups before, I went investigating and found the Blu-ray player that was driving both displays. While the second TV did appear to be connected using a HDMI cable, whether it was "Best" or not, I couldn't tell, the first TV was in fact connected using a composite cable.

I've read about this type of practice before in the US when it comes to Monster cables, but I've never come across such a blatant disregard for the truth here in Ireland.

I've included an image of the display stand taken from my phone, so please excuse the bad quality; it's merely included to show what I'm referring to.

displaystand.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This sort of thing has been going on for decades, and not just with HDMI cables. It really all started with Monster cable.

Speaking of which, the wikipedia article on Monster has this little tidbit under the heading 'False Advertising'
    On March 23, 2009, a photo surfaced online showing two TV sets connected with different cables and claimed that Monster Cable was deceiving consumers by comparing an HDMI cable with a Composite Video cable.[26] Monster Cable responded on several blogs that comparisons are often made between basic cables which come with TVs and HDMI cables but that these comparisons should be well explained at retail stores. The photo did not show the front of the TV display and what, if any, signage was being shown to make the comparison.
    Sound familiar? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Surely this could be brought to the consumer agency's attention:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Send it to the right people!

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As much as I would love to escalate this and get the matter addressed correctly, my past experience with the ASAI leaves me unwilling to waste my time again as they're completely useless.

I didn't start this thread so I could unleash my inner keyboard warrior, I started it so that I could show that what Currys is doing is wrong. Hopefully someone will see this and benefit from knowing that a €5 2m HDMI cable will work the same as a €104.95 2m HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

@Ritz,

We had a good thread here a few months ago titled along the lines of 'Why you should never spend more than 10Euro on a HDMI cable.'
    There were good technical contributions in it from various members and it would help those who are interested in the details of the HDMI cable debacle. Is it worth making that thread a sticky? I know I said at the time that I'd do a sticky at some point but in the end I felt that the thread had enough good technical explainations in it and the conclusion was unanimous so there was no need really to do up a whole new post for a sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Rsaeire,

You're right, the issue of cables has been done to death here lots of times, and the most recent one on HDMI cables, see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055871082 has lots of useful information.

You might be interested to know that Currys now have a dedicated forum on Boards - see it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333 .

If you want your thread moved over there, just say the word. It might be preferrable to keep this thread here for information and copy your original post to a new thread and let Currys address the issue directly.

I'd prefer if this thread didn't turn into a "torches and pitchforks" session, either about particular retailers or the whole cheap/expensive HDMI cable issue. If you're looking for information, please see the Cables thread stickied at the top of the forum or check out the thread linked to above, in the first instance.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

viperirl,

I didn't see your post while I was typing away - good suggestion, I'll stickey it presently, thanks.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The Ritz wrote: »
    Rsaeire,

You're right, the issue of cables has been done to death here lots of times, and the most recent one on HDMI cables, see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055871082 has lots of useful information.

You might be interested to know that Currys now have a dedicated forum on Boards - see it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333 .

If you want your thread moved over there, just say the word. It might be preferrable to keep this thread here for information and copy your original post to a new thread and let Currys address the issue directly.

I'd prefer if this thread didn't turn into a "torches and pitchforks" session, either about particular retailers or the whole cheap/expensive HDMI cable issue. If you're looking for information, please see the Cables thread stickied at the top of the forum or check out the thread linked to above, in the first instance.

Cheers,

Ritz.

Ritz,

Thanks for the information.

I've read and posted in several HDMI and cable threads in the past on Boards, so I'm aware how threads can sometimes get a bit out of hand; that's not my intention with this thread. I only want to highlight the way in which HDMI cables are being advertised incorrectly within Currys.

Also, I have no issue with leaving this thread here and copying and pasting my initial post into a new thread in the Currys section to see if they can offer some sort of an explanation as to why they are misleading prospective customers.

Rsaeire,

I completely accept the purpose of your thread, we're all good.

I'm interested to see what explanation is offered for "good", "better" or "best" HDMI cables..............:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Rsaeire wrote: »
    only want to highlight the way in which HDMI cables are being advertised incorrectly within Currys.

Does anyone know how these stands are handled in places like currys? What I mean is, they are the same looking in Currys, DID, Hardly Normal etc. Do they (monster) rent 2m^2 of floor space in these shops to product place their cabling, as for example the tasting samples in the supermarkets?

What I am asking really is, is it up to currys (in this case) to police what is effectively an unmanned outsourced section of their store (if that is the case)?

• Advertisement

nereid,

The original post has been duplicated on the Currys forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333), their response so far has indicated that there is a procedure for displaying these.

Ritz.

Advertisement