Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pls help a first time buyer (mountain bike)

• 20-07-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and biker's. I am about to buy my first mountain bike.

Carrera Vengeance Ltd Disc VS Felt Q220 2010

vengeance is not in halfords anymore..:)
    http://www.eurocycles.ie/MTB_Hardtail/Felt_Q220_2010/3212_p.aspx

I have budget up to aprox 400e. i know thats not much, but anyway i think for begining its more than enough. So my question would be that whats better choice? Carrera instead of Felt? They are both in more less the same price range and the diference between them is on some parts. I see it on forks, brakes...but i would like to know which one is better and which one has more quality items.

thanks a lot for your time.
    PS:sorry for my broken english :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

With your budget I would really suggest that you would be better to buy 2nd hand. New bikes at that price will be very heavy and have pretty poor equipment levels. If you intend to go off-road a bike like that will make for very hard work. At a quick glance the Felt only seems to be available at a size 21.5" which unless you're very tall will be too big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

thanks for answer...btw yes i am tall...but i bouth finally the carrera. its a bit heavy...the tires sux...but the equipment isnt so bad..i mean rock shocks dart1 + shimano hydraulic disc brakes + 24 speed shimano..isnt that bad at this price range...i found that i have to change the seat and tires...but i think the bike is good for beggining. and at price 379.99 from halfords its just simple great. I had before trek 4300 second hand and i wasnt really happy about it...so i decided to dont buy second hand anymore..even if the price is interesting, there may be always something behind it.

and the felt q220 was a nice looking bike..but the 21 speed system was just crappy..brakes were the cheapest on the market and the peddals were like for small kid. so i think carrera may be finally the right choice for begginer with limited budget.

and at the time when i was publishing the first post halfords had not the bike on pricelist...but now they put it back on sale...so i could buy it

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759111_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think you'd be crazy not to buy the Carrera at that price. Although its only available in a 20" frame so don't buy unless it fits well. That bike would be suitable for cross country / single track riding especially for a beginner and the parts are all reliable.

At your price range I think its best buying from a shop and new as it is covered by warranty for a year on all parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yeah, looks grand for the money - will be fine for starting out. Just make sure to get a test-ride to make sure it fits (even just around the showroom/car park). The equipment on the Felt is very basic indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i am 184cm..so size 20" its for me i believe..just the tires are crapy... but with full shimano equip u just cant go wrong.

and tires change isnt expensive+the saddle...white isnt really a good choice for mountain bike..but it can work for sometime.

u cant compare it with any other big brands like specialized, GT, Felt, Giant...in this price range u wont find something better.

and all customers reviews are also saying go for it. (carrera) and btw the garantee is only for frame for 2 years. for brakes and other parts is garantee only 6 weeks, because the bike is on discount sale they have right to do it...and i have already asked about it. so 2 years only for frame.

but still i wanna use the bike for some off road driving and road1...even in city centre...so with right choice of tires its a big save...:)

thanks for answers guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement