Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an RPG?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is not on par with what this forum is for :)

Soo, haven't played a good RPG in a while. Haven't touched FF after playing XII (even though FF is one of my fave series...). Haven't really been motivated to play or get into any RPGs lately, none seem to entertain me or keep me on anymore. Maybe it's just me but maybe you guys can recommend me some RPG?

I like linear RPGs. Have all console bar Xbox 360 :)

*Hopes he hasn't played games to be recommended*
    :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ramza wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not on par with what this forum is for :)

Soo, haven't played a good RPG in a while. Haven't touched FF after playing XII (even though FF is one of my fave series...). Haven't really been motivated to play or get into any RPGs lately, none seem to entertain me or keep me on anymore. Maybe it's just me but maybe you guys can recommend me some RPG?

I like linear RPGs. Have all console bar Xbox 360 :)

*Hopes he hasn't played games to be recommended*
    :pac:

Vagrant Story - PS1 or PSN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagrant_Story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vagrant Story is amazing, well worth it. Grandia is also up as well, another great game, think it might just be on the US PSN though.

If you haven't played Persona 3 and 4 then you need to sort that out. Probably (I'd say definitely) the best JRPGs in the last few years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

rogue galaxy
    grandia 2

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm not sure just how linear some of these games actually are. I just thought of RGs I could recommend.

Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)
    Dragon Quest Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
    Dragon Quest Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
    Dragon Quest IX Sentinals of the Starry Skies (DS)
    Final Fantasy X (PS2)
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
    Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
    The World Ends With You (DS)
    Persona 3 FES (PS2) or Persona 3 (PSP version)
    Persona 4 (PS2)
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP)
    Tales of Eternia (PSP)
    Breath of Fire 3 (PSP)
    Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP)
    Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP)
    Crisis Core (PSP)
    Pokemon Platinum or Pokemon HeartGold or Pokemon SoulSilver (all on the DS)
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Scorchio MK7

Persona 3 and 4 for PS2 definatly.

Star Ocean International Edition, Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate for PS3 are also quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Final Fantasy 5 is a good one but if you've played that one of the finest non Final Fantasy RPGs I've played is Legend of Dragoon on PS1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy 5 is a good one but if you've played that one of the finest non Final Fantasy RPGs I've played is Legend of Dragoon on PS1.

Jesus no, not a Legend of Dragoon fan. It's by far and away the worst RPG I've ever had the misfortune to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

rpg7a6dm.jpg

Cheapest around very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jesus no, not a Legend of Dragoon fan. It's by far and away the worst RPG I've ever had the misfortune to play.

Not an LOD fanboy,just played it and liked it as i have done with many other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

suikoden 1 and 2 if you can get them on the ps1

• Advertisement

Not an LOD fanboy,just played it and liked it as i have done with many other games.

I don't know how there's people that like it. I just found it so terrible and it's a total joke to the RPG community but for some unknown reason it has it'sfans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hush Cat

Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)

Would recommend the above. Recently I finished this some months ago after starting it two year prior to finally finishing it. It's a pretty long haul and i clocked up around 150 hours before i'd done most of it (just gotta finish the dragon bosses). It is well produced though and looks a lot better than the new ones that are being advertised. It makes those look like they are budget versions or dated versions of this one. This always got a very very good response from a lot of people, and while it isn't too serious, it is a good solid game.

The other one I got into was Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time which I played a few years ago. Another pretty long one but does have a lot involved in it as a whole. The European release was the Uncut version of the Jap version. Go back though a little further andyou can get the Snes translation but you'd be looking at using an emulator. There's also the second one too on the PS1. Don't know much about the PSP ones or the new SO4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have a ds?dragon quest 9 is worth a look if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

was just gonna ask this question:) as it happens i just started playign chrono trigger again just before i try chrono cross which are another 2 that you might enjoy. but if you like ff then you've probably played them:)

i have played a few strategic rpgs lately namely Final Fantasy Tactics, jeanne D'arc if they float your boat either but sometimes you have to play something completely different for a change of scenery like GTA or something like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daredevilfan

Dragonage origins ps3/360
    SAVAGE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Padman

Dragonage origins ps3/360
    SAVAGE!

Japanese RPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

If you haven't played it I'd recommended the world ends with you on ds.
    Easily one of the best jrpg's I've played in a long time. Also the battles are very scalable so you can make it as easy or as difficult as you wan't to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG I've ever played Ramza, you should check it out on DS.

Advertisement