Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat loss, weight gain

Options
  • 20-07-2010 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm a female aged 17 nearly 18.
    Since the start of the summer I started to eat healthy and exercise a lot.
    My daily routine is to kick start my day with skipping rope for about 5 minutes.
    Then I do exercises such as reverse crunches, crunches, squats and others, for every part of my body because I want to be more toned.
    After that I go out and jog as long as I can.

However today I stepped on the scale and noticed that I gained 5 kgs (11 pounds) of weight. I'm a bit confused.
    Is it that i lost weight and gained muscle instead and thats why i weight more?
    I do appear to me slimmer, my friends told me so as well, clothes feel a bit more lose.
    I eat very healthy now as well. I dont eat junk food or drink fizzy drinks. I only drink water, about 2 Litres each day and try and control what I eat.
    I'm just trying to make sure i'm doing everything ok.

Thanks for any answers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kaiboy

Over what period of time have you gained the 5 kgs? First off, exercising in the morning on an empty stomach is prob the quickest way to lose body fat and it seems you have devoted attention to your diet which is a mistake most people make when trying to lose body fat!! What the scales say is not really important, you should go by how you look in he mirror and how you feel (clothes feeling looser is a good sign!). To answer your question, from what you have said, it appears that your newly acquired weight is muscle. As I said before though, weight is not all that important because people can put on muscle and lose fat and improve their figure without any change in weight or by even putting on weight, as in your case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hi miss!

In how long did you gain this 5kgs. Also, did you weigh yourself correctly, on the same scales, in the same place at the same time of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xbabyxdollx

Well in about a month. and yes i weighted myself at the same time and in the same place and same scales.
    Just to add, I bacially never had muscles and was very unfit but I wasn't really fat, just kind of average
    I was thinking that maybe the cardio and healthy eating I've been doing resulted in fat loss but the exercises also built up some muscles ... i dunno really?
    My legs butt, stomach and arms definitely seem more toned and less jiggily
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xbabyxdollx

Well I haven't exercised on an empty stomach but I have wholegrain cereal with low fat milk. Yes now I'm paying attention to eating fruit and veg, I eat meat like chicken, I eat carbs in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

First welcome to the Fitness Forum of boards.ie. It's a great place to get information and motivation.

Congratulations on the decision to start in with eating healthily and exercising. The benefits will make you look and feel great.

The fact that you feel slimmer and that your clothes are feeling looser on you means that you are going in the right direction. This is the correct way to evaluate your progrress. You should not get hung up about the number on a scales as this is not necessarily an indication of health.

Are you training at home or in a gym? If in a gym, you should enquire if they do body fat measurements and if they do, get your body fat measured and track that instead of just your weight.

If you are working out from home, then this thread might give you some ideas of other exercises you can try.

If you have a read of these two threads
    There is a lot of good information about eating a healthy diet and how to workout the number of calories you require for your sex, age and current weight. This figure is called your maintenance calorie figure and is the amount of calories you should eat daily to maintain yoru current weight.

The the rule of thumb is if you are looking to drop bodyfat then you eat slightly below this figure by around 300-500 calories daily. And if you are looking to gain some lean muscle, then you would eat slightly above this figure, again by around 300-500 calories daily. This should see you lose/gain by around 1lb per week. Some weeks might be a little more and other slight less. Also you will have to readjust these figures as you gain or lose weight. As you gain weight you will need to eat more daily calories to continue gaining. Likewise as you lose weight, you will need less calories to maintain that weight.

Well sorry for the long post. Hope some of it is useful to you.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

I do appear to me slimmer, my friends told me so as well, clothes feel a bit more lose.

Good Work

If you look and feel better there isn't a problem..
    Weight loss and fat loss are completely different things. Go by the mirror rather than the scales, unless you have a goal weight you want to be or something crazy like that.

Untill you start seeing differences (bad ones such as gaining fat) stick to what you are doing because it seems to be working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

The chances of a 17 year old girl gaining 5kg of muscle in a month by doing only bodyweight workouts seems highly unlikely in fairness... I'd say recheck your scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 reccakeys

Good Work

If you look and feel better there isn't a problem..
    Weight loss and fat loss are completely different things. Go by the mirror rather than the scales, unless you have a goal weight you want to be or something crazy like that.

Untill you start seeing differences (bad ones such as gaining fat) stick to what you are doing because it seems to be working!

Hi there,,
    That's a good advice.. I like that. Weight loss and fat loss are completely different, I agree to that. I'd rather gain weight that gaining fats.....

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Simple answer is that Muscle weights more then Fat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Simple answer is that Muscle weights more then Fat

Hi Conor

Don't want to be pedantic, but your statement is incorrect. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle tissue is more dense than fat.

e.g. If you have 1kg of muscle tissue and 1kg of fat tissue, they both weigh 1kg. However visually, the amount of muscle tissue will look less than the amount of fat tissue, due to it being more dense.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement