Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Swimming Pool

Options
  • 20-07-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Went swimming last night out in UL. €7 euro to use the swimming pool. What a complete and utter rip-off.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ink

Went swimming last night out in UL. €7 euro to use the swimming pool. What a complete and utter rip-off.

That is all.

Any much cheaper alternatives around? The only alterntive pool that does not require membership is the Grove island at 6.50 which is not much cheaper. Also, i suppose the fact that UL has full length pool it is worth the 50 cents extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

why was it a rip off O.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

7 euro to go splash around in a pool for an hour- come on you think that's value?

I'm not too sure what other places cost but if that the going rate we've all gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭sioda

7 euro you can stay as long as you like have a sauna and a steam. Have often had a run on the indoor track as well dont think its too bad value wise considering the mass lack of other options

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I thought the pool had unlimited time for that price, as long as it was during opening hours
    some pools have set sessions of one hour or less, but I didn't think UL had set sessions like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

7 euro to go splash around in a pool for an hour- come on you think that's value?

I'm not too sure what other places cost but if that the going rate we've all gone mad.

7 euro for a 50 meter pool...that actually has lifeguards there....shallow ish area for kids....40 mtr deep end for those of us who cant quite make the 50m lanes yet...2 50 mtr lanes decent changine rooms since they were done up..and a steam room and a sauna...

yip 7 euro....were being ripped off....

sioda wrote: »
    7 euro you can stay as long as you like have a sauna and a steam. Have often had a run on the indoor track as well dont think its too bad value wise considering the mass lack of other options

I just want to swim. I'm not a tri-athlete.

swim2 wrote: »
    I thought the pool had unlimited time for that price, as long as it was during opening hours
    some pools have set sessions of one hour or less, but I didn't think UL had set sessions like that

Well going on the basis that most people aren't Ian Thorpe- I would suggest most people would stay in the pool for an hour max.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 eoin27

I've grown to hate UL pool over the years. I went there since opening and it started amazing. But in a short few years, it has gone very grubby and isnt a model for hygiene standards anymore. Not to mention the constant presence of some very loud and rude individuals who hog up the steam room and sauna and ruin the experience for other patrons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I always feel very uncomfortable in UL swimming pool especially going into the Health suite. Theres always groups of young guys there who feel the need to comment on my paleness/body hair/flab etc.

Askeaton Swimming pool ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

So it's the other patrons that are your problems?

The pool itself is great. I can barely swim but I could easily stay there for hours.

No one uttered a word in the steam room/saunas and the changing rooms were great.

Why the hatin'?

Maybe the €2.20 student rate is blinding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

panda100 wrote: »
    I always feel very uncomfortable in UL swimming pool especially going into the Health suite. Theres always groups of young guys there who feel the need to comment on my paleness/body hair/flab etc.

Askeaton Swimming pool ftw.

And you didn't report this to staff? Or confront them yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

If you use the pool only occasionaly, €7 is reasonable. If you use it more frequently, there are much cheaper options available with membership.

I like the UL pool but I would like to see greater enforcement of the lanes.
    There is constantly people playing ball in the general area/shallow end throwing the ball into the lanes, children coming in to the lanes to play or retrieve the ball and people just lounging around in the lanes.

The life guards on duty usually do little to enforce the rules.

Maybe there should be a buffer zone (say 18 inches) between the general area and the lanes.

Other annoyances:

- Most of the lockers are broken
    - Rough horse play is tolerated in the shallow end. Yes I know...it's a swimming pool and people are going to splash around but sometimes the messing gets out of hand in the shallow end. It would be nice to have a zone especially for young children at certain times.
    - Why do they have to deepen the shallow end around 8 every night?

But these are only annoyances...

It's a magnificent 50 metre pool, clean and well maintained and I am proud to have it in Limerick.

I don't know all the costs of operating a pool to high standards, paying staff etc. for 16 hours a day but €7 to swim for as long as you want and including a sauna and a secure storage area seems OK.

You would spend a lot more 'swimming' in the pub for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Tralee aquadome is €15 for adult
    and Ballybunnion pool is €9

and I know they are a bit far away for comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

OP, if you persist with this pattern, your next swim would be due in the year 2030.
    You would spend a lot more 'swimming' in the pub for an hour!
    Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I just want to swim. I'm not a tri-athlete.
    Then don't use an athletic pool in an athletic sports arena?
    €7 is fine, good even.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

the national aquatic centre in Dublin is €12 (50 metre pool also)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Its 100E for 4 months membership. Its good value. 2.20 for students. If the price was much cheaper than 7E for blow ins then it might get a bit too busy. Im glad it puts a few people off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

I swim in the pool regularly and I think that 7 euro is very reasonable for the facilities on offer. I always swim in the lane and yes balls do go in, but I've seen the lifeguards take the balls off the kids. They tend to give them 3 chances which is understandable, taking the balls off the kids straight away is not fair. As for the sauna and steam room, if there ever is any trouble I always tell the lifeguards and they are always very polite and deal with it straight away. In my opinion the staff could not be more polite and are always very obliging. I am always happy to pay 7 euro but the membership at the moment Is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

UL Pool is famous for allowing People to pay at Reception, change into their swimming gear, stow clothes and valuables, enter the Pool - And then some 17 year old with a breaking voice tells you that you have to leave cause there is a Class on!!!!!

- Happened me once when I was literally in there 2 mins; The Kid was causally and non-committally apologetic - simply blamed Reception and told me to address with them - Oh the irritation levels were mass-homicidal that day!!!!

Since have spoken to a number of People who had the same experience..... I think its because Reception are so far removed from both the Pool itself and the actual running of it.......

Could never join any Gym where the Pool is off limits as much as UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I went there for the first time this week. If you swim once a week then I think it's a reasonable price, if you go more often than that then just take the Pool-only membership and the value improves dramatically. I was well-impressed with the place. Only negative thing I saw was the number of creatine-junkies hanging round trying to look like they played for Munster:D...or maybe they did...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Just go to st endas then..

sparkman wrote: »
    Only negative thing I saw was the number of creatine-junkies hanging round trying to look like they played for Munster:D...or maybe they did...
    zuroph wrote: »
    Just go to st endas then..

Sub-aqua Junkies are infinitely worse.

It would be like Jaws - Just without the Boat. Oh, and the Shark.*

- Two of the key ingredients would still be there though, Water and unbridled terror.

* I'm not even fully sure about the Shark bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

When the woman said 7 Euros please- you should have walked away...no rip off then.....

When the woman said 7 Euros please- you should have walked away...no rip off then.....

Yeah.

Next time.

Then you should just do the Doggy-Paddle in the puddles outside UL Arenas Reception - That'll learn her.

Learn her GOOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Hey your in limerick if you want swim for free theres a bloody big river running right through.

Grove Island €6.50
    http://www.groveislandleisure.ie/membership.html

There's the maldron hotel
    http://www.maldronhotels.com/hotel-limerick/leisure.html

There's St Enda's
    http://homepages.iol.ie/~stendas1/complex.html

There's JJB
    http://www.gymlockr.ie/jjb-fitness-limerick

and the carlton castletroy park hotel
    http://www.castletroy-park.ie/leisure

anybody know how much it is to swim in all these, pay as you swim that is.

Easy now. Listing the pools and what they charge makes no sense.

I mean, would you list out the shops that sell jeans like Penneys, Brown Thomas etc. and claim outrage at the price discrepancies.

If you want a 50m pool built this decade, you pay a higher price than a 25m pool built in the 80s. And if you need that explained,...

topper75 wrote: »
    Easy now. Listing the pools and what they charge makes no sense.

I mean, would you list out the shops that sell jeans like Penneys, Brown Thomas etc. and claim outrage at the price discrepancies.

If you want a 50m pool built this decade, you pay a higher price than a 25m pool built in the 80s. And if you need that explained,...

My point is that all the pools in and around the university charge almost the same and some even more...I think €7 is more than fair for a swim.makes perfect sense to me to compare!

• Advertisement

Sorry - I totally misunderstood your intention there.

Advertisement