Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browsing on the Kindle DX / DX Graphite

Options
  • 20-07-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of the DX Graphite models soon. What would absolutely nail it for me is if I could access gmail with it. I know that in the US, you can access many websites but seem to remember that there was a restriction for "international" customers.

Has anyone had experience of the browser capabilities?

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

They used to restrict web browsing outside the US, but with the latest 1.4 update, you can now browse the web in Ireland at least. You should be able to access the mobile version of Gmail anyway; I doubt the full version would work as the browser is pretty basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I have the DX Graphite. Browsing is not really a great experience on it but it does work - fairly slow and the keyboard is pretty poor stuff for anything over a few words of typing - its really not a great browser device.

In fairness they even tag the browser as 'experimental' in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Big smart phone, or netbook is better for email/browsing.

The whole point of these is the consumption of serious amount of text, simply reading. No eReader is even very good for reference/Text book work. Best for novels and periodicals a long sencond behind.

If you can afford it, get it. Don't worry about gmail.

watty wrote: »
    Big smart phone, or netbook is better for email/browsing.

The whole point of these is the consumption of serious amount of text, simply reading. No eReader is even very good for reference/Text book work. Best for novels and periodicals a long sencond behind.

If you can afford it, get it. Don't worry about gmail.

Totally agree - this does one thing, brilliantly.

Sort of refreshing actually !

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Thanks everyone for the input. I really want to use an eReader for reading novels and technical docs on pdf, having a simple gmail reader would be a big help. Having read the posts here and elsewhere, I think I'll go with an iPad as while it isn't great for novels it probably is good enough and the large screen makes it better for the technical docs. Obviously there's the additional benefit of decent web browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A netbook does same as iPad, except cheaper and more applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Nope, got one and really it's the wrong form factor for reading.

Yeah...I don't think the ipad is challenged by a netbook.

The main reason I went for a kindle over an ipad though, is the screen legibility out of doors. I just don't see how I could comfortably read in sunlight on a backlit screen...that and I spend enough time looking at computer screens anyway without trying to enjoy a book off of one.

Advertisement