If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Friendly Entertainment centre

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi Guys,

I'm coming into a few quid in two weeks time and I'm in the market for a new entertainment system -replacing the TV, old one box system of a phillips surround and speakers. I have a PC that I will also be upgrading with a good ATI 5770 graphics card so what I'm looking for is quite specific.

I require a good AV system, was interested in the Onkyo 308, any colour. I also require a 46/47 inch TV, with 1080P, any range and finally I need a set of speakers, ideally white (same as a previous poster, wife is making the decision on the colour and look, she especially likes the look of the Boston Soundware XS 5.1 Speaker Pack in white.)

Now here is the clincher. It needs to be all done for as close or under 1500 euro. Can this be done?? :p

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Guys,

I'm coming into a few quid in two weeks time and I'm in the market for a new entertainment system -replacing the TV, old one box system of a phillips surround and speakers. I have a PC that I will also be upgrading with a good ATI 5770 graphics card so what I'm looking for is quite specific.

I require a good AV system, was interested in the Onkyo 308, any colour. I also require a 46/47 inch TV, with 1080P, any range and finally I need a set of speakers, ideally white (same as a previous poster, wife is making the decision on the colour and look, she especially likes the look of the Boston Soundware XS 5.1 Speaker Pack in white.)

Now here is the clincher. It needs to be all done for as close or under 1500 euro. Can this be done?? :p

Irish,

Thanks for the post & Apologies for the delay getting back to you - how about this (It's close to budget!)

Onkyo TXSR308 AV Receiver:http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr308/onky-txsr308-blk
    Boston XS 5.1 Speaker System (Great system) :http://whathifi.com/Review/Boston-Acoustics-Soundware-XS/
    Philips 40PFL5605 LED 46" TV: http://www2.p4c.philips.com/files/4/46pfl5605_93/46pfl5605_93_pss_aen.pdf

All this should retail at just over €2000 - I can do it on a Boardie special at €1649.99 - and that includes a two year warranty on everything.

The TV especially is really excellent - not just a budget Plasma or LCD, but a top spec LED.

Keep us posted if these are of interest or of course if you have any other ideas,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 48 irishcarbomb2k

Thanks John, The TV looks fantastic and I think it is probably a winner. Just a few questions, what is the price of delivery and if I went for a 42 inch instead of 46inch on the same model? What is stock like for all of the above and it will be 2-3 weeks to get the cash together if thats ok??

Thanks John, The TV looks fantastic and I think it is probably a winner. Just a few questions, what is the price of delivery and if I went for a 42 inch instead of 46inch on the same model? What is stock like for all of the above and it will be 2-3 weeks to get the cash together if thats ok??

Irish,

the TXSR308 is the only thing that stock is tight on at the moment - but I'm expecting them back in the next few days (we have lots on order).

If you went for the:

40PFL5605 LED TV
    TXSR308 - AV Receiver
    Boston XS5.1 - 5.1 Speaker Pack

I can do the whole bundle at just £1049.95 / €1269.99 including delivery!

2-3 weeks is no problem ( I know what it's like trying to get the spends together at the moment :rolleyes:) just as soon as you have decided give us a shout and we will pop the kit into reserved for you until you have the spends to ensure they are in tsock when you need them..

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

There's a bit of confusion here (yes, I'm keeping an eye on this post as it's similar to my reqeust :p)

John's initial post said: Philips 40PFL5605 LED 46" TV
    I believe he meant 46PFL5605 for the initial quote.

The second quote would then be for the 40PFL5605 which is a 40" and not a 42" as Irish was asking for.

Presume this is correct...

scorn wrote: »
    There's a bit of confusion here (yes, I'm keeping an eye on this post as it's similar to my reqeust :p)

John's initial post said: Philips 40PFL5605 LED 46" TV
    I believe he meant 46PFL5605 for the initial quote.

The second quote would then be for the 40PFL5605 which is a 40" and not a 42" as Irish was asking for.

Presume this is correct...

Dead right Scorn - there in no 42 in that series - they only produce the 5605 series in 40/46/52 inch at the moment - there is a 42 5405 100hz/full hd LCD tho' if you guys are interested??

Keep me posted,

atb,

j

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the quote, decisions decisions. whats the difference between the 5405 and the 5605 other than the obvious size difference? I'm really confused on what size to go for. My room is about 10 foot wide and 20 foot long. My wife thinks the 46inch will be too big, (she's the interior designer of the family) and I think size matters but am afraid the 46inch picture will look too stretched as one of the seats is quite close to the TV where as the 40 inch will fit perfectly.
    Thanks for all your help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hey Irishcarbomb2k

The 5405 and 5605 models share the same core features, Pixel Plus HD processor, 100Hz Refresh rate and 2ms response time and have the same connectivity suite.

The difference is down to the backlighting tech, The 5405 models use CCFL backlighting were as the 5605H use the latest LED backlighting tech.

This gives the 5605H an improved contrast ratio of 500000:1 (the 5405 are 100000:1) and typically uses up to 40% less power compared to CCFL backlit LCD's.

The 5405 range is available in 32" 37" & 42" screen sizes
    The 5605 range is available in 32" 40" 46" and a whopper 52"

check out here for info on these TV's
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/fiveseries.htm

I have em all on display and would be happy to guide you through them if you want to call into the shop.

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Guys,

I think I might have the money sooner than I thought ;)

So I will probably go with the 40 inch (interior design wife won out) new Philips 40PFL5605 LED 46" TV, the onkyo 308 and the Boston XS5.1 speakers. Do you accept laser or is it credit card?? I should hopefully have the funds at the start of next week, let me know what the best way to pay is.
    Thanks again for all your help so far.

Hi Guys,

I think I might have the money sooner than I thought ;)

So I will probably go with the 40 inch (interior design wife won out) new Philips 40PFL5605 LED 46" TV, the onkyo 308 and the Boston XS5.1 speakers. Do you accept laser or is it credit card?? I should hopefully have the funds at the start of next week, let me know what the best way to pay is.
    Thanks again for all your help so far.

Irish,

No problem on the help issue - our pleasure!

On the payment front we can accept payment via laser but only for in-store shoppers (not our rules - laser are being difficult!) however we do of course take credit cards/ bank transfers or cheques no problem.

That would be a cracking system and would look & sound excellent - give us a shout or drop us a PM when you are ready to go and we will do our very best to get you sorted,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

great, I'll let you know. I've a cheque waiting to clear so as soon as it does, I will order the system. Just a few final questions, How much would it be to collect from store?? Where would I collect it and do you accept Irish laser if it is the Belfast store. Oh and one other thing? I may be cheeky here but any chance of some speaker wire to go with my new speakers :p

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the bump, I know your busy, I was just wondering if it is possible to collect this tomorrow, just waiting on the funds to clear and if so how much, if you accept Irish laser and also any chance of the speaker cable?? Cheers.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.