Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else see this in the sky last night

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Anyone else see something strange in the sky over Dublin last night. These taken from north dublin. The white line on the left of the image is the spire, the red blob in the shape of Darth Vadar's mask, well that's anyone's guess.

I'd imagine its the moon, the angle I think is about right for it, but I have to admit I've never seen it like that before. Anyone able to explain??

im1r.jpg

im2i.jpg

im3er.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Moon is my guess.. It can often look large and red seen just over the horizon, like a harvest moon.

Did you stick around to see if it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

Ahh its called the moon ... its basically been there for hundreds of millions of years . The Yellow glow is the suns reflection and is common during late July early August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

its basically been there for hundreds of millions of years .

No way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 WBrazel

Of course its the moon. As I said the angle of the moon setting last night was about 230degrees southwest, which is exactly the angle between the camera and the blob of moon. The angle of the moon relative to the earth when setting would cause an atmospheric effect that would cause the moon to be red. All blue light is scattered downwards on entering the atmosphere so at a long angle the only light getting to you would be red.

I've actually never seen a moon like that, being from the inner city I would not have got to see the moon at such a low angle in Dublin though I have seen it elsewhere. Big tall buildings in the big smoke Blacksmith, bright lights, quite different to the boglands.

Just thought it was interesting the way the trees on the mountain and the clouds made a kind of darth vadar shape onto the moon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

WBrazel wrote: »
    Just thought it was interesting the way the trees on the mountain and the clouds made a kind of darth vadar shape onto the moon.

More like a cylon i thought

review_bg12_1a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sandra252

WBrazel wrote: »
    Anyone else see something strange in the sky over Dublin last night. These taken from north dublin. The white line on the left of the image is the spire, the red blob in the shape of Darth Vadar's mask, well that's anyone's guess.

I'd imagine its the moon, the angle I think is about right for it, but I have to admit I've never seen it like that before. Anyone able to explain??

im1r.jpg

im2i.jpg

im3er.jpg
    heya i seen this myself last nite after 9o'clock i cot 2 pics of it but it was like a comet wen i seen it had a long tail and was like a redy/orange fire ball.goin at a very slow pace i watched it for about 20mins,and it wasnt the moon by the way.i'l get the pic's up.go onto astronomy ireland u can post ur pic's up there i sent them my ones last nite.has me puzzled to wot it was.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sandra252

:cool: zoom in on this does anyone now wat this was wed 28th of july in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Possibly an aircraft contrail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jkiss

sandra252 wrote: »
    :cool: zoom in on this does anyone now wat this was wed 28th of july in dublin

Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Nice pic regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They'll land in some field and a cow/horse will eat it and choke on the wire :mad:

Advertisement