Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do Getty do it?

• 20-07-2010 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

How do they track their images?

A few years ago we had a designer working with us... we have an istock account but this little fcuker seemed to like taking images from getty and we've had a few letter from them now about use of images on various websites.

He used small crops of the original images, sometimes it's hard to even see if they're the same image. If I could get my hands on him, I'd kill him... but anyway, how do they trace them?

I'd love to do the same with my flickr stream, just to see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Pretty sure they just hired a firm called pic scout. Creates digital fingerprints with each image. http://www.picscout.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it just embedded exif data or digital watermark then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Ok so here is the blurb from Pic scout site... (seems they actually don't use a digi-watermark per se)

"There are many ways to track images on the Internet. Some methods embed digital watermarks into the photo image by adding extra data to the image. Images can then be found by searching for the unique signature of the digital watermark. However, these watermarks can be altered or eliminated from the photo as the image is converted from one file type to another.

A more reliable method is image recognition. This method examines raw image data to identify image "fingerprints" – unique patterns that are part of the image itself. This is the technique PicScout uses. Because this method does not rely on embedded watermarks surviving many forms of digital alterations, image recognition can match even highly manipulated or altered images with their original sources. PicScout proprietary image fingerprinting technology allows PicScout to identify images wherever they appear on the Internet, even if the image has been altered, colorized, edited, cropped, rotated or embedded into another image."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

There's also this :

http://www.tineye.com/about

Advertisement