Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T8 to T5 Fluroscent Lighting Retrofit

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    Seemed like a god place to try and get some thoughts. I have a small retail store and we have the big fluroscent T8 tubes in the fittings. I know they are inefficent and are getting harder to get (some EU thing stopping their sale????). I was looking up retrofitting the lights as I don't want to pull down the fittings, I want minimum disruption. Ive spoken to two companies here in regards to it and just want to know if anyone could give me some questions to go to them with.
    I don't just want the cheapest option, something with good light is important for the shop and are there questions I can ask relevant to this.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

one option is to retro fit either high efficienty 35watt t5 or high output 54 watt t5. the adaptors arent cheap and some wholesalers have moved away from them in favor of replacing the fittings entirely. ive also seen led versions but something tells me these along with most led technology isnt at its peak yet making this an exspensive option.
    the above mentioned is with respect to 5 foot/58 watt fittings.
    if you have modular fittings, ie 600x600 there are induction and led versions available now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

If you want a good longterm solution, replace the light fittings rather than using T5 plus some form of adaptor.
    What size lamp is in the fitting?
    How many are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ukelely

hi
    i am an electrical contractor change the fittings all together those retro fit kits are a fad. there is a 100% retro fit tax incentive offer on the revenue web site with few conditions of course but dont be put off by this. if you or anyone else would like info on this please PM me your number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

As far as im aware no lamp manufacturer will be responsible for thier lamps when put into these new adapters. I've also seen the lamps "belly" in the fittings.

I also saw something in the paper today that Tesco had to pay something like 7K to a child that had his eye damaged by a lamp that exploded.

I'd say the best job is just a new fitting as they arent that expensive these days.

Advertisement