Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book about the history of Wales.

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Something quite extensive, from what the Welsh were up to before the English invaded, to whatever the English did to the Welsh. If you know any really good books that only cover part of this time period, that's fine too. Something unbiased preferably, and interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Something quite extensive, from what the Welsh were up to before the English invaded, to whatever the English did to the Welsh. If you know any really good books that only cover part of this time period, that's fine too. Something unbiased preferably, and interesting.

In a nut shell, The Welsh started it and they lost.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

"To Dream Of Freedom" by Roy Clews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Would they not have been still French speaking Normans who invaded Wales ?

( Probably with English in their army)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Arthur Bryant writes a terrific book about Edward the Longshanks (Yes, that bastard in braveheart!) And the succeeding Edwards. He has an excellent chapter on the Welsh wars in 'The Age of Chivalry'.

Bryant isn't everyone's cup of tea but he is a marvellous historian, he writes so fluidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

( Probably with English in their army)

There were also Saxon/Angle/Jutes and Danes around at the time, South East England had alot of different groups knocking around. I think what we now call England and Wales were divided into different areas within each country, see below for some of the different groups (origins part).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales-England_border
    Wasn't Wales was also heavily attacked by the Romans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I don't know, but I want a book that goes from pre-Roman to present day. I just got one by John Davies called a History of Wales, but some reviews on amazon say that it's biased towards the wels and maybe not entirely historically accurate. I know we can't be sure that any book will be entirely historically accurate but I want something that's biased towards neither side.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I am looking them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't know, but I want a book that goes from pre-Roman to present day. I just got one by John Davies called a History of Wales, but some reviews on amazon say that it's biased towards the wels and maybe not entirely historically accurate. I know we can't be sure that any book will be entirely historically accurate but I want something that's biased towards neither side.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I am looking them up.

That's a biiig book you are after.

I would have thought that a lot of Welsh history, particularly from Roman invasion through to AD927 would have been a comprising part of British Hoistory of the same period. Was there much difference to what the Kings of Powys and Gwent were up to, as opposed to the Kings of the Mercians and the Northumbrians? I've always viewed the Welsh as just another tribe/kingdom within Britain rather than a unique country, albeit a part that didn't get conquered by the Germanic tribes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Was there much difference to what the Kings of Powys and Gwent were up to, as opposed to the Kings of the Mercians and the Northumbrians?

I don't know. I'm just a beginner! I don't know anything, that's what I need a good book for. But I want to know about more modern times too, from the middle ages to the present day, any good book recommendations about that would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I'd recommend you a book but I wouldn't want to turn you on :cool:

Advertisement