Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low whistle difficult stretch - any suggestions?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys,
    Ive been playing the flute and whistle for a good few years and I would love to play the low D whistle but I find the finger stretch on the last hole very difficult.
    Any suggestions of low whistles makes which may be easier? (I know they are all pretty much the same size but I'd appreciate any help!!!)
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Unless you're gonna play something smaller like an "E" or a "G" etc then the only option is...............

....you guessed it..practice.
    Trust me, it does get easier, when I first started playing the Low W.. I never thought my fingers would manage it,
    but they did and I don't have long fingers or a big natural stretch.
    Good luck!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ELLENoco

Thought practice might be suggested to me!!!
    Ya slow airs and things are ok its just getting a bit of speed that seems to be the trouble....... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I guess thats why you dont really hear that many people playing the faster tunes on the instrument.
    To be honest I rarely play the fast ones myself with it anymore, just use it for the airs, but you will get the stretch...... "eventually" :)
    Ádh mór ort....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I find that using finger stretching exercises that guitarists use are very handy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yUeESnMvY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ELLENoco

Looked pretty crazy watching that at work haha! Thanks though looks really good :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

ELLENoco wrote: »
    Any suggestions of low whistles makes which may be easier?

Yes, the Dixon low D's have less of a stretch than any other I'm aware of. I can play it like a normal whistle using fingertips. However if you already have a low D I wouldn't bother buying another just to make things a little easier. You'll get used to it as everyone is saying. What a lot of people do for low D's is use some form of a piper's grip, as everyones hands are different you really need to find what's comfy for you. Something that's not causing any strain/pain and let's your fingers relax. Heres an example robbed from another forum, it may not suit you but just to give you some ideas:

3452182453_bb7674e5a3_o.jpg

Advertisement