Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption nightmare

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Born in 1946 but not formally adopted until about 6 years old. How do I trace birth family. No details of adoption agency, but I have birth surname, and believe I know county my birth mother came from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

eitgrain wrote: »
    Born in 1946 but not formally adopted until about 6 years old. How do I trace birth family. No details of adoption agency, but I have birth surname, and believe I know county my birth mother came from.

Do you know where you were born? What arrangments or provisions your adoption was conducted under? Have you ever contacted the adoption board? Were you given any information by your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Hi, It seems your parents availed of the 1952 Adoption Act and were able to formally adopt you then. Before then, you would have had a 'de-facto' adoption which meant your parents would have had no legal guardianship over you but would have raised you as if you were their own. You should contact the Adoption Board and ask them to check what Adoption Agency was used and if you can have a copy of your file under the Freedom of Information Act (don't get too excited you will only get all non-identifying information). Sometimes, the file will contain the name your birth mother would have given you which is a help in narrowing it down. The next thing is if you know the date of your birth and the place then you can go into the GRO and obtain your original birth cert. This should give the name of your natural mother (although it has been proven that sometimes an incorrect mother's name has been written down). The only problem there is that you won't know her age giving birth so at that stage you would have to make contact with the relelvant adoption agency/HSE branch and ask for a trace to be made. Sometimes, they can give you non-identifying information from the file or notes which would give your mother's age. A good website for help is www.adoptionrightsalliance.com . It's very helpful. Just be aware that it all takes time and nothing comes easily or quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eitgrain

Thanks so much for that information, and apologies for taking so long to say thanks. I've requested the info you told me about, and am waiting now for reply. Once again, thank you very much.

When you get the information (and it might take some time so be patient) come back to me. I might be able to give you more advice. I first approached the HSE/Adoption Agency 8 years ago and let things slide for a while then last year decided to do the trace myself. Two weeks ago I found where my family is living. Suffice to say, a load of lies were told to me by my social worker regarding certain matters so take with a pinch of salt what they tell you. They are known to twist the truth around. Best of luck with everything and keep in touch. X

Difficult but not impossible. On facebook there is a group called Adoption Rights Alliance. Anyone who is searching for an adopted person should request to join. You then have a wealth of experience and advice at your disposal. My own birth mother had one name on her birth cert and had another name on my birth cert but I still traced her and even met her in August. So never give up. It can happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement