Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started On Drums

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey,

I purchased a Pearl drum-kit [second-hand] a few weeks back and am having difficulty in getting started with regards learning how to play. Basically, I have no direction and have just been playing away on them "off-the-cuff" so to speak whenever I get the chance.

Musicians I've talked to have said that professional lessons are the way to go, and I intend on going down that route pretty soon once I get some cash together.

But, in the meantime, is there any "routines" as such that I could play on my own just to get me started? Just anything so that I would have a purpose when I sit down at my kit.

I was searching Youtube, but couldn't really find anything suitable.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to make some progress asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

youtube is good if you look in the right places

start off at the very beginning and learn the basics right the first time. this will save endless hours of back tracking when you get to an intermediate level and realise that your hand technique or stick control is all wrong. dont be afraid to learn it slow and build up. I would start at looking at holding the sticks, hand technique, rudiments, basic rock beats, then when you know that well progress to further tasks, at that stage you will know yourself where you need to go ! dont worry about your speed when doing rudiments etc learn it slow and build it up. there are plenty of sites that will show you specifically the most affective rudiments to learn and how to progress them. this stage is very slow so be patient and dont be looking for miracles, these are things you will always need to work on and some people have spent a life time perfecting them

good luck

websites i would look in . drummingireland, drummerworld would be the best of them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Another thing to consider, you could try your hand with one of the "Teach Yourself" books. My sister became fairly profficient on the drums out of this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Learn-Drums-Manual-Drumming/dp/1864692588/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279808174&sr=8-5

But I'd agree if you've never played an instrument before then professional lessons are definitely the best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CianHeff

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

This is also a useful online resource for getting these rudiments down!

Advertisement