Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Top Up Questions

Options
  • 20-07-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I have a mortage totalling 260K with AIB. It comprises of one for 230K at ECB rate +.65% and 30K Top up at ECB rate +.85% - Both very favourable rates.

I am now looking to do an extension and would need approx 60K. I would only do this if I was able to avoid converting the complete value of the 2 to variable rate

Would it be possible to get this 60K added to the 30K mortgage, have that changed to variable and let the 230K on its tracker rate untouched

If people think the banks are unlikely to allow this have I any alternative for getting the money as converting all the mortgage value to variable would cost me 20-30K over the lifetime of the loan

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

jphegarty wrote: »
    Hi

I have a mortage totalling 260K with AIB. It comprises of one for 230K at ECB rate +.65% and 30K Top up at ECB rate +.85% - Both very favourable rates.

I am now looking to do an extension and would need approx 60K. I would only do this if I was able to avoid converting the complete value of the 2 to variable rate

Would it be possible to get this 60K added to the 30K mortgage, have that changed to variable and let the 230K on its tracker rate untouched

If people think the banks are unlikely to allow this have I any alternative for getting the money as converting all the mortgage value to variable would cost me 20-30K over the lifetime of the loan

Thanks

Hi

As far as I'm aware, you cant be switched from your tracker for topping up or any other arrangements including problems with payments.
    It was on the Finance section of the Matt Cooper radio show.
    I'm sure the guys here ca clarify though.
    Dont give up your tracker for any reason is the bottom line.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jphegarty

Thanks a million for your reply gpjordan

That sounds excellent indeed, can anyone let me know if this is for definite. I would like to have my ducks in a row for when I approach the bank about the top up

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jphegarty

Just contacted the national consumer agency and apparently the banks are allowed to change me to a varible rate if they wish but I can try and negotiate.

Are there any alternatives for raising 60K so I know of these before I go to the bank, just want to strengthen my argument if they are trying to force me to change the whole of my mortgage to variable rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

jphegarty wrote: »
    Just contacted the national consumer agency and apparently the banks are allowed to change me to a varible rate if they wish but I can try and negotiate.

Are there any alternatives for raising 60K so I know of these before I go to the bank, just want to strengthen my argument if they are trying to force me to change the whole of my mortgage to variable rate

Bets of luck to ya, no better weapon than correct information!

Advertisement