Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting a small clothes shop,,where to start!!

Options
  • 20-07-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hey guys its early days yet so im gathering as much info as possible,i want to open a small boutique in ireland, im irish, i have lots of determination and confidence so far :):) one thing im a little confused about is where to source the clothes to sell!! how is this done? where is it done? etc etc etc:confused::confused:
    im starting a few start your own business courses in the next few wks which will help im sure wit bookeeping and marketing etc... but where to source good clothes is confusing me ive googled it several times but nothing solid:rolleyes:
    thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

What kind of clothes shop? Kids clothing or adult clothing. Either India or China is where the products will be made. However going by the lack of experience i see in your post and the fact its going to be a "small" clothing store you'll just have to get a distributor/Importer in Ireland or England to supply you. I have the contact details of 2 childrens clothing suppliers in the UK. PM me for the details if that is the type of store you are setting up

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

It's worth having a look over http://www.alibaba.com/

I'd be slightly concerned with clothes from China but who knows - you could hit onto a gem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Don't buy from china or india or turkey yourself - you will get toasted.

You need to work thru a wholesaler - do your homework, they are all contactable.
    Read James Caan's book, he openend and ran boutiques with his wife in london in the 80's - give's an insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bigdreamer

yeah i would be a big iffy about buying frm india r china, and also ill try support our own economy as much as poss and try england if needs be...
    it will be a ladies clothes store, lingerie, and shoes:D:D:D
    will look that book up in the library cheers,,
    thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

NO!

It's a trip to a trade show is what need......find out when the next one is and go along and you'll not only see all the letest release's in that trade, but you'll get to meet the vendors/wholesalers and exchange business cards and then be able to know then personally for agreeing terms in the future. Thats the way forward for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

bigdreamer wrote: »
    hey guys its early days yet so im gathering as much info as possible,i want to open a small boutique in ireland, im irish, i have lots of determination and confidence so far :):) one thing im a little confused about is where to source the clothes to sell!! how is this done? where is it done? etc etc etc:confused::confused:
    im starting a few start your own business courses in the next few wks which will help im sure wit bookeeping and marketing etc... but where to source good clothes is confusing me ive googled it several times but nothing solid:rolleyes:
    thanks!!

i know how you feel!! im in a similar boat myself but planning to sell kids clothes. imo the wholesalers in ireland are sooo secretive!! lol.. the just dont do online stuff at all!! i found 2 in dublin, but im a good 4 hrs drive from there so would rather to see online what they have iykwim. also even trying to get a phone number is impossible!! so i googled the uk instead and tbh it is a hell of a lot easier, you can shop online, view online, see the prices etc. and there are a lot more of them too... and also i like the way that a lot of them support smaller businesses by not havin a minimum order amount!!

good luck with your venture by the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

:confused:im starting a few start your own business courses in the next few wks which will help im sure wit bookeeping and marketing etc...

Why a few? Why not just do one?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

With so many clothing business going bust, assuming you've done your market research and have a viable business plan. My approach here would be to call into similar businesses that are winding up and buy up some of their stock at below wholesale value. Then take the owner out to lunch, find out where they went wrong to avoid making those mistakes and get the contacts for their suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

send me a pm when i have time later go the week i'll give you a
    detailed answer. The misses had a boutique shop in the westbury mall but closed it due to new baby coinciding with the recission. You'll be looking at trade shows out side of ireland. Stock fillers from fashion city in ballymount. Good location is the key. Try to get in contact in stylists and the magazines. They'll be a great assist. She was often featured in image, tattler, off the rails , ireland am etc. Its all about getting free exposure.

forgot to mention you'll be buying three seasons in advance. Designers don't want there design copied by high street shops. This explains the secrecy at the shows they'll often have private boots and you'll need to be allowed in before you can view.

• Advertisement

Why a few? Why not just do one?

a few meaning 2!!! part time one eve a wk each,,want to no as much as possible:eek::eek:

ive looked at trade shows on the net in england they seem good, but hey once i get the first order how is it done after that, do i have to keep goin over when i need more stock or do they send brochures and stuff??

ted1 wrote: »
    send me a pm when i have time later go the week i'll give you a
    detailed answer. The misses had a boutique shop in the westbury mall but closed it due to new baby coinciding with the recission. You'll be looking at trade shows out side of ireland. Stock fillers from fashion city in ballymount. Good location is the key. Try to get in contact in stylists and the magazines. They'll be a great assist. She was often featured in image, tattler, off the rails , ireland am etc. Its all about getting free exposure.

fashion city in ballymount?? hav'nt come across them so far,,how are they to contact and how are they wit supplying?? good to work with??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ryang999

fashion city in ballymount?? hav'nt come across them so far,,how are they to contact and how are they wit supplying?? good to work with??:rolleyes:

full of contrafates or stuff too dear,some clothing wholesale for 150per piece,who will buy a 300 euro piece nowadays?

there s a good children cloth supplier there call jack and jill.

fashion city is a buisness park with anumber of different fashion supplliers. it is in the M50 Business Park.

it' be worth taking a trip up there. you may or may not find it any good, but there is number of shuppliers in th eone location so its got what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Voltaire and Aubevillers in Paris is where you want to go,thousands of clothing wholesalers there in ladies and kids wear and also cheap ryanair flights to get there

Also Cheetham Hill area of Manchester or Commercial rd in London

Fashion city in Dublin is another source but can be quiet expensive in some places

If you need anymore info about freight etc PM me, btw i am in the Fashion business wholesale and retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mhfashion

thanks!!
    Hi Bigdreamer, I'm mhfashion from malaysia clolthing wholesaler throughout to overseas. I've types of fashion from japan, india, malaysia-batik, and more.
    kindly email to me durgadarshini66666@gmail.com if you're interested. And I hope that I am not too late to be your assistance.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donbabes

:)hi pebbles have any of these suppliers got websites to look up, im thinking of opening a clothes shop selling dresses, skirts casaul wear etc any help much appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Wow, very brave idea.

A hint for the later stage of your project - in store marketing.
    My friend has a small chain of boutique shops now and she uses the advise of in-store media company. It's called Mood Media and it really influenced her profit for the better ;-)

The website is http://www.moodmedia.ie.

All the best for the future!

WOW GEE GOLLY JENNY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A PR PERSON FOR MOOD MEDIA DOES IT?

Jenny Atkins - Mood Media PR
    Phone +1 416-510-****
    Fax +1 416-510-****
    Address 6th Floor, 20 York Mills Road,
    Zip M2P 2C2
    City/Town Toronto
    State/Province Ontario
    Country Canada

http://www.upublish.info/myarticles/Jennifer-Atkins/104849

IF YOUR GOING TO BE A SHILL AT LEAST BE CLEVER ABOUT IT PLEASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Stung!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Hammertime wrote: »

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A PR PERSON FOR MOOD MEDIA DOES IT?

LMAO .... Nice one Sherlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

A lot of poor advice here.

1st thing - who are you targeting? Women / Children / age group / demographic.

2nd - Price range - low,(competing against pennys dunnes etc) medium, (competing against coast, oasis, monsoon etc) high (competing against other independent boutiques, department stores etc).

3rd - exclusive labels or pieces from general collections. - Exclusive and you're buying 6 - 8 months in advance, general and you're buying some stuff well in advance but topping up from an instock range.

4th - size of shop & location + estimated turnover.

5th - Funding. For advance orders as a new business, most items will have to be paid for in advance of delivery as will rent, fit-out etc.

Best place to start is Fashion City in Ballymount (take ballymount exit off M50, head 200 metres & turn right & its located 200 metres on right hand side) - about 200 suppliers & agents are located there with showrooms & offices. Every price from cheap to exclusive is represented there.

If you still want more choice, then next easiest place is off Oxford street in London. Mortimer Street, Great Titchfield street and all areas around there will have many showrooms.

Omce you call in person to any of the outlets, you'll find loads of advice wiln be given that should make it a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drumagolan

I'm tinking of setting up a similar shop selling mens clothing/shoes etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction to wholesalers?

91011 wrote: »
    A lot of poor advice here.

1st thing - who are you targeting? Women / Children / age group / demographic.

2nd - Price range - low,(competing against pennys dunnes etc) medium, (competing against coast, oasis, monsoon etc) high (competing against other independent boutiques, department stores etc).

3rd - exclusive labels or pieces from general collections. - Exclusive and you're buying 6 - 8 months in advance, general and you're buying some stuff well in advance but topping up from an instock range.

4th - size of shop & location + estimated turnover.

5th - Funding. For advance orders as a new business, most items will have to be paid for in advance of delivery as will rent, fit-out etc.

Best place to start is Fashion City in Ballymount (take ballymount exit off M50, head 200 metres & turn right & its located 200 metres on right hand side) - about 200 suppliers & agents are located there with showrooms & offices. Every price from cheap to exclusive is represented there.

If you still want more choice, then next easiest place is off Oxford street in London. Mortimer Street, Great Titchfield street and all areas around there will have many showrooms.

Omce you call in person to any of the outlets, you'll find loads of advice wiln be given that should make it a success.

willl be targeting women.,..hopefully i can sell as cheap as pennys!... general stuff if good quality,not branded if poss,, yeah im thinking london..more choice...different to what we already have in our 2city2 u know? do i need appointment for these places in london or fashion city?
    thanks again

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Voltaire and Aubevillers in Paris is where you want to go,thousands of clothing wholesalers there in ladies and kids wear and also cheap ryanair flights to get there

Also Cheetham Hill area of Manchester or Commercial rd in London

Fashion city in Dublin is another source but can be quiet expensive in some places

If you need anymore info about freight etc PM me, btw i am in the Fashion business wholesale and retail

cheers!! what kind of fashion do u target?
    which wholesaler do u find the best??
    i want good high fashion at really affordable prices, for the customer...kind of like a penneys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

You would have to buy a warehouse full of clothes to sell as cheap as penneys!

hehehehe nice one....jenny go back to your marketing class ahahhahsa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

do i need appointment for these places in london or fashion city?

You started this thread last July, have you not contacted these places already? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Drumagolan wrote: »
    I'm tinking of setting up a similar shop selling mens clothing/shoes etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction to wholesalers?

Same advice - Fashion City, then Great Titchfield street and fashion expos (may still be one or two left for autumn season)
    willl be targeting women.,..hopefully i can sell as cheap as pennys!... general stuff if good quality,not branded if poss,, yeah im thinking london..more choice...different to what we already have in our 2city2 u know? do i need appointment for these places in london or fashion city?
    thanks again

As cheap as penneys - not a chance, but low to mid price with more unique designs may work. (Pennys buy 1million + t-shirts in each colour, ship via full containers direct from factory)
    You started this thread last July, have you not contacted these places already? :confused:
    Seems it was re-opened by a shill, but info is good for otehrs looking to open stores.

Its a good time to be considering retail - landlords are more open to small independent retailers rather than large multiples. Plenty of fully fitted shops about, and plenty of deals to be had.

All the lower costs allow for lower retail prices, which allows for customers who now have less spare cash to buy things, which will mean a stronger business.

Hi yeah i started it back i july but been busy in the mean time my target is summer 2011...i have been checking out premises...checking out wholesalers and fashion trade shows..ive been searchin endlessly for unique clothes as i dont want to sell just anything,,i cant seem to find what i want:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    also ive had a few family things going on,,ie new baby:D so now is the right time for us :p

ya i found that there is a great selection of already fitted out shops around and great barganing with the landlords!!! mayb now is the best time with the big R and all:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IIsoleeII

Hi i'm a visual merchandising student, in other words I make the windows of shops look attractive and also the inside displays and how the shop generally looks.*to try get customers in*. And im trying to get some in-store experience, If anyone here is opening or has just opened a shop. Send me a pm and I would be glad to help anyone new to the business WITH NO FEE. But I would put the experience on my cv, if that seems fair enough. I will work with computer programs before I suggest you do anything with your shop so its risk free!
    I will be leaving Ireland in May 2011 to go to England for work *because it seems you have to have 2 years experience here to get work in this sector despite the amount of work offered.
    so if so contact me before that time ok?? :)
    All the best with your plans guys!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement