Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightmare housemate

• 20-07-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all, i recently moved in with an old friend, she bought a house and needed help with the mortgage so offered me a room for €50 per week plus half of utility bills..which i accepted while me and my boyfriend are waiting for our house to be ready.
    i know this girl since school we are both 28 but she has turned into a complete nightmare and im now considering moving back to my parents to get away from her.
    Here are a few examples: i'm not allowed to use my own shower cos it runs off emersion, i have to use her en-suite shower instead as its electric and cheaper. (which means i now have to shower at night cos i start at 6.30am in the morning and i can't wake her)
    i turned on the dishwasher before work yesterday as there were no clean cutlery or cups left.and she started giving out stink when i got home as there were 3 free plate spaces left (the rest was full) and i was "wasting electricity". also the plates & cutlery have to go into the dishwasher a certain way or there will be war.
    i also went to hoover my room the weekend and she came flying up the stairs grabbing the hoover out of my hands saying She would do it that it had to be done at a certain setting or would damage the carpet.
    she goes into my room on a daily basis (i've caught her) to check that all switches are turned off.
    i've also been accused of taking a can of coke from her bulk stash, (diet coke which i hate!) smoking in my room (also lies) and other things she can't find as her own room is like a bombsite and she's always losing stuff in it.
    i'm a normal, clean, easygoing person but i really was seconds away from exploding yesterday... i can't take anymore!!! anyone got advice on how i should deal with this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

I feel your pain! it sounds like she is a control freak or has ocd. Move out your bascially paying someone to control your life. You would get more respect at your folks or rent a room somewhere else if you dont wanna go back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

2 words - move out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey OP,

Move out, that's really the only and best way to deal with this. I'm in the process of moving right now because I hate my housemate with a firey firey passion, like seriously hate them!!! When you're living with people that just drive you nuts the only sensible thing to do is move.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

oh dear god they wouldnt do that in prison,:eek:,move back and give the exspences to mam. that wan is mentel. did she ask anyone else before you to move in do you know? if it was me id be gone not until i let go all the hot water first:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

She's a nutjob.
    Pack your bags, asap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

she sounds like a right control freak alright, no wonder she is only charging you 50 quid -cos nobody else will live with her
    i'd rather move back to my mam's house than have her control me. does she let your bf stay over? prob charge you extra for that - he is wear and tearing her hse..lol

three words hun....Move out NOW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You have to have some give and take when sharing, especially when taking money from someone to do so. She is being ridiculous - demanding specific hoover settings and going mental over three place spaces in the dishwasher is bordering on, if not already in, crazy lady territory. I'd be packing my bags pronto. Whatever freedoms you get from not living at home are completely negated by her histrionic OTT behaviour, so not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Hi OP,

I agree with everyone else. Move out.

But before you go, I really think you should explain why, very calmly and rationally and briefly. Just something like 'When I'm paying rent and half of the bills I do expect some privacy, and for you to trust me not to smoke or take your drinks. And I don't think what you said about the hoover and the dishwasher was very reasonable. I'm telling you this because if you rent out the room to someone else and behave like this, the same thing will happen to you again.'

I think it would be good to tell her so that if you have friends in common she won't go to them saying 'OMG, she moved out for NO reason and now I'm really stuck for cash!' At least if she knows you have a good reason, she probably won't do that, even if she personally thinks your reason isn't good enough. Plus she is like this because people keep letting her be like this - you would be doing her a favour letting her know that people do not accept this kind of behaviour.

That said, I don't blame you if you don't fancy doing her any favours!! Good luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

elbee wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I agree with everyone else. Move out.

But before you go, I really think you should explain why, very calmly and rationally and briefly. Just something like 'When I'm paying rent and half of the bills I do expect some privacy, and for you to trust me not to smoke or take your drinks. And I don't think what you said about the hoover and the dishwasher was very reasonable. I'm telling you this because if you rent out the room to someone else and behave like this, the same thing will happen to you again.'

I think it would be good to tell her so that if you have friends in common she won't go to them saying 'OMG, she moved out for NO reason and now I'm really stuck for cash!' At least if she knows you have a good reason, she probably won't do that, even if she personally thinks your reason isn't good enough. Plus she is like this because people keep letting her be like this - you would be doing her a favour letting her know that people do not accept this kind of behaviour.

That said, I don't blame you if you don't fancy doing her any favours!! Good luck OP.
    You know what though - who gives a f*ck what she says to anyone else about her leaving. She sounds a bit odd so no doubt she will twist the reason anyway. She's hardly gonna tell everyone 'oh she moved out cos i'm a bit tapped'.

I wouldn't bother. I'd leave with as little drama as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It's obvious that she doesn't want you "messing up" "her" house.

So she shouldn't be taking €50 plus half the bills from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Move out or you'll ruin your friendship, just tell her the truth. Me and my best friend always intended to move in together after school but after 1 week away together in Spain we realised we'd kill eachother!You never know someone until you live with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Move out now - and make sure to tell her why. Don't let her get away with such wankerish behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I don't get why people who are going to be so territorial about "their" house even bother to rent out rooms! She is being so chicken oriental that I don't think it likely she will change her behaviour. Just move out.

Advertisement