Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration of business/trading name

Options
  • 20-07-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a limited company with a specific name relating to the industry in which I operate. I am looking to diversify and do not feel the name is appropriate for the other trading. My question is can I register another trading name(an abbreviation of the original) and trade under both names using the same bank accounts, VAT number etc?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

you can have a number of reg business names - but check your bank that they are happy with the differences in names (not having to open a second account)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Swampy wrote: »
    I am looking to diversify and do not feel the name is appropriate for the other trading.
    You might also want to check that the new 'operations' are in keeping with your existing memorandum and articles of association.

If not, it's relatively straight forward to update them to accommodate the changes, but best to tackle it upfront and be sure you're aware of any required changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Hi Swampy

If you have a company called ABC Limited but you also want to trade under XYZ, then all you have to do is file an RBN1B form with the companies registration office.

It will cost you €20 and will take a few weeks to register, but once registered you will get a business name certificate from the companies office to say that effectively although your company is called ABC Limited, you can also trade under ABC. Its the same company though.

You then present the business name certificate to your bank, who should then allow you to issue and receive cheques under both ABC Limited, and XYZ.

Hope this makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Best Price Accessories

As far as I know you just need to give the bank a copy of the new business name registration and all shoudl be well to have only 1 bank account. this worked for me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

They usually insist on the original cert. I suppose to cut down on the chances of fraud or money laundering.

dbran

Advertisement