Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balla 10K, 24/7/10

Options
  • 20-07-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    anyone else doing the Balla 10k this Saturday? Starts at 7pm.

Ran this race the day after the U2 gig last year and did my worst ever time, can't wait to put things right this weekend. :D

It's a tough enough course, the great spread laid on afterwards makes the slog worth it. Only €15 too.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 2 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    50%
    Mr Freeze 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    50%
    Stary 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Not doing it unfortunately. Thinking of Claregalway 10k in August. is it flat do you know (Claregalway)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

hey ya Galway Spur. From balla myself and neer ran the course even though it passs by my front door. I would imagine the second half of the course must be easier than the 1st half? Thinkn of maybe givin it a go next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

T runner wrote: »
    Not doing it unfortunately. Thinking of Claregalway 10k in August. is it flat do you know (Claregalway)

Last year the Claregalway 10k was two laps of the 5k course with the finish in the industrial estate (same finish as 5k this year). That means twice up a very steep hill at around the 3k and then 8k marks. Pretty much flat other than that, with a fast downhill stretch just before the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

jj72 wrote: »
    hey ya Galway Spur. From balla myself and neer ran the course even though it passs by my front door. I would imagine the second half of the course must be easier than the 1st half? Thinkn of maybe givin it a go next year !

Hi jj, I remember some tough hills in the second half. Not sure, but I'm sure I saw a sign saying "Hoopers Hills" and then the pain after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

4 stars (good)
    Will be there, looking forward to it.

Only new to this running craic, have only done one 10k already, and that was just under 50mins in achill, hope to run about the same in Balla on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 giz1

Hi can anyone tell us what the course is like for the balla 10k, I have done the castlebar and Galway mini marathons this year so if anyone could compare balla to these courses would be great thanks

4 stars (good)
    giz1 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell us what the course is like for the balla 10k, I have done the castlebar and Galway mini marathons this year so if anyone could compare balla to these courses would be great thanks

Its a hilly enough course.
    There is a garmin link to the course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41659302

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll be doing this also as I'm originally from about 4 miles away, so this is my local race even though I only ran it once (Two years ago).
    I set my PB on this course also so it can't be that bad really. The first little bit is up and around the local secondary school/golf course road before taking a right and heading towards Mayo Abbey. This initial part has a couple of hills but nothing too severe and you should take it at 95% of your target race pace.
    The road towards Mayo Abbey is a good surface with a tricky short hill over the railway line at around the 1.5 mile mark. This is a little longer than the previous hill and probably deserrves a little more respect. But again it's not too steep or too long.
    This direction then continues along until the left hander just after the 3 mile mark. A further 0.5 mile and then it's another left and your facing back towards Balla on poorer quality surface.
    (Not sure what this road is like currently but it was a typical boreen surface when i ran it 2 years ago)
    At this point you'll be starting probably the toughest part of the course where a hill lasts about 1k.
    Then at the 5.5 mile mark you get ready to hit the main Claremorris Road just outside Balla. Be a little wary though because if you're running low on energy there's a slight drag into the village but you'll only be about 300m away from the Finish so grit the teeth and go for it!
    I have this marked as a target race as many of my old school buddies will be running this so bragging rights are on offer. It was a very enjoyable race last time out so I'm sure that will be the same again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm originally from about 4 miles away.

Every time I have seen your name I always wondered was that where you were from.;)

C'mon the Green & Red!!!

Thanks very much balcarra and mr freeze for the info, we only new to this running stuff hope we make it round in a decent time don't think we b beating ye anytime soon but sure we all got to start somewhere, best o luck to all who take part and thanks again

• Advertisement

geld wrote: »
    Every time I have seen your name I always wondered was that where you were from.;)

C'mon the Green & Red!!!

Nice one!
    Whereabouts ya from yourself?
    You doing Balla?

giz1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much balcarra and mr freeze for the info, we only new to this running stuff hope we make it round in a decent time don't think we b beating ye anytime soon but sure we all got to start somewhere, best o luck to all who take part and thanks again

Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

All into The Olde Woods in full race gear afterwards!

Thanks will let ye no how it goes the olde woods after sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 18 acbar

anyone know when the official times will be posted on line for the 2011 race? currently the mayo ac website only has the winners names and times...obviously i wasnt a winner!

I'm wondering the same question as you Acbar.
    From memory of doing this a couple of years ago I think they were about 2 or 3 days getting the results uploaded.

What kind of time did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

That's slack enough, redtag do a lot of the timing around Galway and results for road races are online around two hours after race finish.

A basic summary of Saturday's race...

Reg was in the Youth Club at the start line and although there were slight queuing issues going out on to the road no major problems. €15 entrance fee.

Start:
    The start line was pushed back to Main St this year as a Jones device was used for measuring the course this year and they found that they needed an extra 140m! Our local Taoiseach said a few words before starting us on our way. Nice touch from Enda given he's had a busy week!

Race:
    About 300 or so runners and about 20 walkers.The boreen section had been recently tarred which meant it was better than last time I ran it. The course was more undulating than I had remembered. This meant for a tactical race with some trying to psh it over the earlier miles but I chose the steady paced effort to avoid blowing up on the last few kms. This seemed to work to a large degree as I was very rarely passed but did manage to pass loads throughout the course myself.

Finish:
    It pains me to admit it but after the finish line was a little disappointing. A lousy illuminous yellow RSA bag was all we got. A friend managed to get his hands on an illuminous jacket but when he checked it was an XL and he has been know to buy clothes for himself that are actually intended for 14 year olds!!
    There was a good atmosphere afterwards among the participants but the race itself was the bare bones. I suppose in fairness there was no main sponsor so funds were probably a bit low...

Overall though I enjoyed it loads. I also managed a 75 second PB so that was probably the main reason...Definitely back again next year!!

That's slack enough, redtag do a lot of the timing around Galway and results for road races are online around two hours after race finish.

There was no chip timing for this. It's very much an old school type race, organisation-wise. It's a pity really as it's well supported by a large turnout both times i have done it. Even a basic website would help bring loads of extra people to this in future but can't really see that happening tbh.

4 stars (good)
    Results here.

http://www.mayoac.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/07/Balla-10km-Road-Race-Walk-Results-Sheet-Sheet1.pdf

There was a good atmosphere afterwards among the participants but the race itself was the bare bones. I suppose in fairness there was no main sponsor so funds were probably a bit low...

Bare Bones!! For 15 quid, all I expect is my race number, nothing more. Tea and some cakes at the end is a nice bonus.

Thanks for the results Mr. Freeze.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Bare Bones!! For 15 quid, all I expect is my race number, nothing more. Tea and some cakes at the end is a nice bonus.

My point wasn't meant to be that it was expensive. TBH I didn't even notice straightaway but a couple of friends who race less often brought it up. Last time I ran this there was a free t-shirt commemorating the race. Yesterday it was freebies from the RSA.
    The other main comment was the surprise at no chip timing.

How did you get on yourself? Could have done without the slurry spreading around halfway!!

• Advertisement

Oh ya, and the turf fires.... CHOKE!!!
    was happy with my time, timing chips would have been a better idea, It seemed a bit cheapish to me, no medals!? just freebies, and who doesn't already have one of those RSA vests.
    Anyone doing Breaffy 10k? suppose to be quite flat...

Thanks for the link to results.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

well said Mr F. Considering the low entry fee I would consider Balla excelent value. This race is in its 19th year and predates the current boom and Id say will outlive it too. It was there before chip timing, gps watches and technical T-shirts and also before race websites that justify 60 euro entry fees without access to a shower or a sandwich afterwards.Balla is oldschool and the organisation has allways been slightly rough around the edges but it allways got the basics right.The people who produce Balla and( races like it) care deeply about it and put it above the persuit profit.

4 stars (good)
    How did you get on yourself? Could have done without the slurry spreading around halfway!!

I wasn't at it this year. Pity, as I was looking forward to see how much I had improved (if at all). Had a race last weekend, and another race this weekend coming, so I had to skip Balla.

But I really enjoyed it last year, and hopefully will be back to do it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Enjoyed the race again this year. I wouldn't fault the organisation, its a proper no frills club race. it was well supported and the atmosphere around the start/finish was good. I love the saturday evening time slot. A minor gripe was that the cup of tea afterwards was half a mile away in the school so most people didn't make it. Last year it was at the finish and hopefully they'll revert to this next year. The spread was a little disapointing, especially compared to some of the legendary feasts at Mayo ac events..

A video has been uploaded to the Mayo AC website now:
    http://www.mayoac.com/?p=1988
    This is a cool addition in my view and something you don't see with too many other races - Well done Balla/Mayo AC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 biker41

is this event run by mayo ac or the people of Balla

biker41 wrote: »
    is this event run by mayo ac or the people of Balla
    I know everything is arranged by a local guy (Brendan Conwell). It's part of the Mayo AC Summer series and their website has all the race summary. Not sure who organised the video.
    So in answer, I think there may be some synergy between the two involved.

Just to let those who are interested know that I hear theres gonna be a 5k in Manulla on St Stephens day 2011, I think the Football crew are organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

acbar wrote: »
    Just to let those who are interested know that I hear theres gonna be a 5k in Manulla on St Stephens day 2011, I think the Football crew are organising it.

Link for this 5 km below - thanks acbar:

http://www.runireland.com/events/manulla-fc-st-stephens-day-fun-runjogwalk
    Should be fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

acbar wrote: »

Great, thanks for the heads up!
    Just what will be needed after the Christmas dinner :D

Advertisement