Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vhi Company plan

Options
  • 20-07-2010 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

My Dad called Vhi today as he got his renewal, he told them he wanted to change from Plan B Options to Company Plan Extra Level 2 (he got info from the hia website).

In relation to his day to day cover, Company Plan Extra Level 2 has a €1 excess...however she told my Dad that he will continue to have his €250 excess for another two years, then he will have the €1 excess after that time? I dont understand how they can do this, it doesnt sound right to me.

He has had a Vhi healthcare policy for over 30 years, how can they introduce a wait period for day to day cover now? From FAQ on the hia site:

"Currently, these waiting periods are only applied to those conditions which existed prior to the upgrade in cover with the exception of maternity benefits. The maximum waiting periods that can be applied in relation to new benefits are as follows:
    • 2 years for a person under 65 when first named under the higher contract.
    • 5 years for a person of 65 and over when first named under the higher contract"

Is day to day an existing condition? Is that why they are saying he will have to wait two years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

dillodaffs wrote: »
    Hi,

My Dad called Vhi today as he got his renewal, he told them he wanted to change from Plan B Options to Company Plan Extra Level 2 (he got info from the hia website).

In relation to his day to day cover, Company Plan Extra Level 2 has a €1 excess...however she told my Dad that he will continue to have his €250 excess for another two years, then he will have the €1 excess after that time? I dont understand how they can do this, it doesnt sound right to me.

He has had a Vhi healthcare policy for over 30 years, how can they introduce a wait period for day to day cover now? From FAQ on the hia site:

"Currently, these waiting periods are only applied to those conditions which existed prior to the upgrade in cover with the exception of maternity benefits. The maximum waiting periods that can be applied in relation to new benefits are as follows:
    • 2 years for a person under 65 when first named under the higher contract.
    • 5 years for a person of 65 and over when first named under the higher contract"

Is day to day an existing condition? Is that why they are saying he will have to wait two years?

Unfortunately, it's considered an upgrade to his existing policy and therefore incurs the waiting period. Has he tried getting a quote from Aviva or Quinn? I had VHI Plan B AND Health Steps Gold (for day-to-day cover) and it was costing more than the all in version. VHI refused to allow the Health Steps as an equivalent without a waiting period for the plan I wanted, but Aviva did - so I changed to Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dillodaffs

my dad wont change to one of the other insurers...he has been a vhi customer since about 1962 and is afraid to change. its a pity as they might waive the wait period for him, but he just wont do it.

i think he will take the company plan and sit out the 2 yrs, least he will only have a €1 excess after that. and the company plan is about €100 cheaper overall to. thanks for the info.

Advertisement