Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Far...

Options
  • 20-07-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Go to the people who know....

I want to bring power to a shed approx 300m's away from my house.
    Would, running a power cable from the house to the shed work, or would there be too great a loss over the distance?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It can be done, but it will be expensive!

First question:
    What size is the load??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A 3 x 6mm^2 SWA is good for 1kW at 300m, but it will cost a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Yep load first then breaker.
    4 percent total VD at FLA from consumer unit to appliance at end . The fault loop impedance can be measured at house and then r1 +r2 for swa added on afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

Still fleshing out the idea at the moment, so not sure on the actual hardware at the end, and its power demands.

Basically itll be some broadband/networking kit.

Also looking into PoE Ethernet extenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would`t say there are not too many 300 meter long 230v cable runs anywhere are there? Seems almost impracticle. 1 kw is right for the load on the end of 300 meter 6 square. Any higher and the volt drop is too high, no harm to the cable but does`t do the load itself much good if volt drop is too high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

4% is the max installation VD

or else for an appliance whatever the permissible voltage range is

can it be stepped up auto-transformer style at the load -i can't remember ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »

It could be done like that, although if he is only using computer equipment then 1 kw might be enough coverage with 6 square. Seems an awful long run though 300 meters. I think we did do it though to run 3 fuel pumps before. Cant remember the distance but was around that distance now that i think of it. There was an emergency stop loop too so a loop to each pump and back to control board so the total emergency stop loop length was near 2 kilometers. I remember that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

So, we are talking big €€€€'s ???

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

what about a new supply for esb? i know it seems like overkill but mite work out cheaper depending on location of nearest pole etc. and you would never have a problem if your load increased. new supply will probably be about 1000e (not certain on that) and swa is a couple of euro per metre and u have all the digging to bury the cable, ductwork etc. might be worth looking into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

M cebee wrote: »

If it is powering networking kit it might not be affected by voltage.

Many devices are autoadjusting dual voltage 110 - 240 V so it might be OK.

f it is powering networking kit it might not be affected by voltage.

Many devices are autoadjusting dual voltage 110 - 240 V so it might be OK.

Except that it is always better (and a legal requirement) to obey the ETCI regulations.

Advertisement