Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which visa?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend are going to Australia hopefuly at the end of september for a couple of years and iam wondering what visa she should apply for. Iam a Australian citizen and was wondering what options we have on the visa for her?
    Could i sponsor her or what way does it work? If she appiled for a WHV and they then seen she was traveling with me would she be refused entry if we only stay for a year?
    Any info would be great, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

skipz wrote: »
    Myself and the girlfriend are going to Australia hopefuly at the end of september for a couple of years and iam wondering what visa she should apply for. Iam a Australian citizen and was wondering what options we have on the visa for her?
    Could i sponsor her or what way does it work? If she appiled for a WHV and they then seen she was traveling with me would she be refused entry if we only stay for a year?
    Any info would be great, cheers.

She should just get a WHV, she's not going to be refused entry cos shes travelling with you.

From now on if you havent been alredy you should keep all records of you guys living together bills, lease's etc etc, so you can apply for a defacto down the road if you want to. Even if is shes at the end of her WHV when you apply she'll move onto a bridging visa.

Also she could easily get sponsered by her employer when she starts working.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

A defacto visa, i could'nt think a the name of that! Do you know if it can be done here in Ireland or would you need to apply in Australia? Id say it would take a while for that visa to be granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

They take ages to be granted alright. I've a couple of friends who are going throught it, have there app. in for 2 months already still no word. Also the amount of info required is huge, bills photos, any paperwork you can get your hands on with both your names on it. You pretty much need to prove you've been living together continusly for 12 months.

Costs a fair few quid as well. You can apply from Ireland, the application then gets assessed in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

OP, your girlfriend should apply for the Defacto visa
    http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/

Apply for it from Ireland, application sent to London, it takes about 3 months max to get it.
    You are assigned a Case Officer approximately 1 week after they receive your application, they let you know any additional stuff you have to send like Police Check (free but a PITA to get depending on what station is your local) and a medical (cost a couple of hundred at most).
    Depending on your case officer you can get the visa in a couple of weeks or if they go by the book, 3 months.
    The 2 of you must be living together at least 12 months and have proof - lease with both names on it, bills, bank account (open a joint one now), statutory declarations (on form available from immi site) from friends/family (don't necessarily need to be Australian), copies of airline tickets from holidays taken together etc etc
    It costs $1735 or €1186 in real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Doop wrote: »
    They take ages to be granted alright. I've a couple of friends who are going throught it, have there app. in for 2 months already still no word. Also the amount of info required is huge, bills photos, any paperwork you can get your hands on with both your names on it. You pretty much need to prove you've been living together continusly for 12 months.

Costs a fair few quid as well. You can apply from Ireland, the application then gets assessed in the UK.

It doesn't cost a fortune really, split between a couple it's not a lot. It's paperwork anyone would have anyway..
    They do not want photos or emails/correspondence between the couple, they'll normally be sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

mmmh, 1186euro is a lot of money if you dont have any! Jesus i think that idea is out the window. Can you apply while in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

skipz wrote: »
    mmmh, 1186euro is a lot of money if you dont have any! Jesus i think that idea is out the window. Can you apply while in Australia?

yes you can but it will cost goes up to €1775 ($2575)

Although if you decide to pop the question it works out cheaper see here for visa costs.

That does not include X-rays & medicals plus police checks

Advertisement