Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Thank you very much for the compliment sables2, this was taken in Rathdrum, I had been there for the day and had just about given up when I was returning down the hill into the village he flew right in front of me! A great sight for sure, you can sometimes get them over the Nll just around the Arklow bypass too.

Interesting, as I was fishing with the other half in rathdrum last May and saw what I think now was a Kite flying overhead & into a forest. At the time I didnt know what it was but knew it was something special! Ive been watching the eagles return each week & from that I thought it must been a Kite and now your post basically confirms this! :) Beautiful birds, would love to see one again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Monkaa wrote: »
    Interesting, as I was fishing with the other half in rathdrum last May and saw what I think now was a Kite flying overhead & into a forest. At the time I didnt know what it was but knew it was something special! Ive been watching the eagles return each week & from that I thought it must been a Kite and now your post basically confirms this! :) Beautiful birds, would love to see one again!
    Hi Monkaa,
    Your one lucky man. I'd LOVE to see a red kite. I'm sure they're around, no doubt! Spotting 'em is another thing. I believe they're in the 'kite triangle': Rathdrum, Avoca and Kilcoole.. (correct me on the stats?) I'm sure that was a kite alright you saw.They REALLY are stunning birds of prey Monkaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

sables2 wrote: »
    Hi Monkaa,
    Your one lucky man. I'd LOVE to see a red kite. I'm sure they're around, no doubt! Spotting 'em is another thing. I believe they're in the 'kite triangle': Rathdrum, Avoca and Kilcoole.. (correct me on the stats?) I'm sure that was a kite alright you saw.They REALLY are stunning birds of prey Monkaa.

One lucky woman you mean ;) Im pretty sure it was a Kite because I thought it was an eagle type bird and when I saw it, all makes sense now! Only saw it for a couple seconds tho...but hoping to spot more in the next few weeks as will be out wicklow way again! I came onto this forum to see where people were spotting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Hi Monkaa,

have seen a few Kites in both Avoca and Rathdrum,however have not seen a sight of one in Kilcoole,there are a fair few Buzzards up near Druids Heath golf club

during the summer i drove my neighbour who's a huge BW fan down to Avoca.
    We were driving home a bit pissed off after a few hours of spotting,then my son points out a kite from the back seat of the car,we stopped the car and he hung about 25 feet above the car for about 30 seconds almost without moving,the best sight i have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I guarantee you'll see them at Avoca every day rain permitting.

• Advertisement

Monkaa wrote: »
    One lucky woman you mean ;) Im pretty sure it was a Kite because I thought it was an eagle type bird and when I saw it, all makes sense now! Only saw it for a couple seconds tho...but hoping to spot more in the next few weeks as will be out wicklow way again! I came onto this forum to see where people were spotting them!

Check your id on this one. Kite is large red eagle like in wings and forked tail. Buzzard large eagle like with fan tail, darker colour. And finally believe it or not a White Tailed Sea Eagle has been visiting near the area you mentioned for over a month now.

Check your id on this one. Kite is large red eagle like in wings and forked tail. Buzzard large eagle like with fan tail, darker colour. And finally believe it or not a White Tailed Sea Eagle has been visiting near the area you mentioned for over a month now.
    Your right about the White Tailed Sea Eagle. It was reported in: irishbirding.com a sighting of the sea eagle was spotted at Broad Lough Co. Wicklow last month. WOW! Imagine seening that baby.Good detail of the various birds you gave cuddlycavies..all spot on!

And last weekend also, on the Murrough I believe.

And last weekend also, on the Murrough I believe.
    Looks a likely spot alright. I was at Avoca today trying to see if i could catch a glimpse of a Red Kite. Nothing - mind you, was only there about an hour and half. I guess you never know where they'd pop up though. Will keep The Murrough in mind for the sea eagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Avoca town is where I saw my first one. Id recommend a short drive around the back roads just north east of Avoca. You will almost surely see a good few red kites there. Maybe not if its raining though! :)

• Advertisement

Avoca town is where I saw my first one. Id recommend a short drive around the back roads just north east of Avoca. You will almost surely see a good few red kites there. Maybe not if its raining though! :)
    snowstreams
    Hi snowstreams. Sounds good. That's my next port of call! I was only opposite the woollen mills off the round-about, so maybe too noisy for 'em??

Arklow road, 1/2 mile outside Avoca, ruined church on rhs. Immediately opposite is the river valley. There are several kites patroling this area. On any day you will see them weather permitting.

What abou this one. At Avoca last week. White Tail being mobbed by Kites

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=234&r=2.551

Arklow road, 1/2 mile outside Avoca, ruined church on rhs. Immediately opposite is the river valley. There are several kites patroling this area. On any day you will see them weather permitting.[/QUOTE
    Hi cuddlycavies
    Thats great. SO glad for that information. I simply didn't know where to go. It's 'easy when you know'. I was really peeved off there yesterday, waiting and watching. Only saw rooks, crows some pigeons and wagtails. bump:mad:

What abou this one. At Avoca last week. White Tail being mobbed by Kites

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=234&r=2.551
    That's WAY OUT...(as the yanks would say). Was it not in fact buzzards i read??

That's WAY OUT...(as the yanks would say). Was it not in fact buzzards i read??

''Bird was circling over the avoca valley and was being mobbed by a group of 5-8 buzzards and red kites''. Both.
    When I was a kid none of these birds lived here. Buzzards were confined to Antrim, and the other two extinct. We have come some way.

''Bird was circling over the avoca valley and was being mobbed by a group of 5-8 buzzards and red kites''. Both.
    When I was a kid none of these birds lived here. Buzzards were confined to Antrim, and the other two extinct. We have come some way.
    Here,here...There was none either when i saw a young fella. It's really EXTRAORDINARY to see, isn't it? We should be on our knees - thanks to the eagle trust and i suppose bird watch ireland. I'm so proud of them all. I hope to see even ONE next visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Went down to Avoca village (saw Kites from the bridge in the village). Saw two kites (one of which had a blue wingtag) and a pair of buzzards. Here's a photo, buzzard on left and red kite on right. Great to see the birds soaring together. Quality of photo is poor (not a Rainbowsend quality photo I'm afraid), but good to compare and contrast each species>:)

wjjhwy.jpg

Went down to Avoca village (saw Kites from the bridge in the village). Saw two kites (one of which had a blue wingtag) and a pair of buzzards. Here's a photo, buzzard on left and red kite on right. Great to see the birds soaring together. Quality of photo is poor (not a Rainbowsend quality photo I'm afraid), but good to compare and contrast each species>:)

wjjhwy.jpg
    Feargal. These are AMAZING!! WELL DONE. I love the contrast and the lovely 'command' presence they give off. I'm SO envious of you, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rog1985

I saw a red kite about a mile from Ballymurphy, Co. Carlow. April just gone. Two mornings in a row. Someone else saw it there too. Delighted to hear how they are spreading out. Hope some move down to Kilkenny!!

• Advertisement

Feargal. These are AMAZING!! WELL DONE. I love the contrast and the lovely 'command' presence they give off. I'm SO envious of you, honestly.
    Hi Feargal,
    I REALLY envy you man. These are too good to be true. Your a great photographer. I have a Canon EOS 450. So i hope i can achieve quarter what you shot here. You we're saying 'sorry about the quality'??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Do red kites travel about much? I seen a good few of them in Wales when I was fishing over there. I know they are in County Down and wondered would they go for a spin over Tyrone?

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

They dont do an awful lot of travelling away from their nest sites. But when they are young and not yet breeding they can travel a good distance. 2 or 3 of the Down released birds have been seen in Leitrim and sligo.
    So id say a handful must have passed through Tyrone alright.

rog1985 wrote: »
    I saw a red kite about a mile from Ballymurphy, Co. Carlow. April just gone. Two mornings in a row. Someone else saw it there too. Delighted to hear how they are spreading out. Hope some move down to Kilkenny!!
    Yea me too...hope the Kites spread there. Kilkenny/Laois border is close to my heart, especially Castlecomer..or Comer as you call it. Not too far away: Ballinakill is a nice little village - even though it's officially Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Went off to Redcross\Avoca this morning, started out nice and sunny and wasnt long out of Redcross village when I spotted a couple of Kites I followed them as far as I could and lost sight of them, so continued on to the Avoca road, when I spotted a group of Kites maybe five or six floating above a ploughed field, great stuff....set up the camera and tripod and started snapping away, the sun was catching the plumage great and I was really enjoying myself. They eventually drifted over the hill and out of sight, I was delighted with my mornings work and packed everything away into the car.

Thought I would scroll through to see what I had got before setting off home, SICK FEELING IN THE PIT OF MY STOMACH :eek: no memory card in the camera :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thought I would scroll through to see what I had got before setting off home, SICK FEELING IN THE PIT OF MY STOMACH :eek: no memory card in the camera :o

:( aw no. I was reading the start of your post thinking ... "great, these'll be good...":D Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

littlebug wrote: »
    :( aw no. I was reading the start of your post thinking ... "great, these'll be good...":D Better luck next time.
    x2:(

Went off to Redcross\Avoca this morning, started out nice and sunny and wasnt long out of Redcross village when I spotted a couple of Kites I followed them as far as I could and lost sight of them, so continued on to the Avoca road, when I spotted a group of Kites maybe five or six floating above a ploughed field, great stuff....set up the camera and tripod and started snapping away, the sun was catching the plumage great and I was really enjoying myself. They eventually drifted over the hill and out of sight, I was delighted with my mornings work and packed everything away into the car.

That is a TOTAL bummer Rainbowsend. Really sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to your super photos...well, especially what you had snapped on previous posts. better luck next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The REALLY annoying thing about it is I knew when I took the card out and didnt replace it that I would forget about it. :mad:

Lesson learned :)

• Advertisement

The REALLY annoying thing about it is I knew when I took the card out and didnt replace it that I would forget about it. :mad:

Lesson learned :)
    You WILL get another opportunity, don't worry. Just when/if...With birding: you NEED patients and time to get the right 'find' for sure! ;)

Advertisement