Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American CUPS

Options
  • 20-07-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

God bless me and save me. Has anyone got a decent rule of thumb they use for American weight conversions?

HOW can flour be measuered in ml? Is that pre-sieve or post-sieve. ARG!

I'm looking at a few different websites, and they all seem to have different conversion rates!

Help please! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

This thread might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

It's definitely pre-sieving. Generally you get your measuring cup and fluff up the flour in the packet so it's not compacted, scoop, and go across the top of the cup with a straight edge. If you're converting US cups to mls so you can use a measuring jug then you might as well just look up what a cup of flour is considered to weigh and just weight it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Having married a Canadian, I've long been converted to the cups system. It's actually waaaaay easier for baking, and we've even converted most of our Irish recipes across. (No weighing scales in our house!)

This is the conversion we use (it's the same one as in the the ubiquitous Joy of Cooking): http://www.joyofbaking.com/USMetricVolumeEquiv.html

For flour, it's deffo pre-sieving, it's the way it comes when you scoop it or pour it from the bag. Some recipes will specify ingredient volumes when packed down (e.g. brown sugar).

Just get yourself a measuring cup with metric and cup measurements on it to save yourself the hassle. They have them in Avoca and prob Kitchen Complements/Stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They use volume instead of weight measurements in Scandinavian countries too for some (but not all) ingredients. Only difference is that they use deciltres or 100ml 'cups'.

Advertisement