Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has one of your ancestors been a bit naughty?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Although I do remember now one of my ancestors being hung, he was a pirate and had 13 wives in galway. good lad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Although I do remember now one of my ancestors being hung, he was a pirate and had 13 wives in galway. good lad

Jaysus he must of been :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

perhaps they were evil ninjas whos names were never identified?
    Yes, yes that must be it. I'm from a family of evil ninja's who gave me the skill and the plans to take over the world.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

one hit...

Received sentence of death for stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lonsdale

my ancestor was indicted for stealing a Hat, value 5 s. the Goods of Thomas Hooper , on the 8th of May 1715

"It appear'd, that the Prosecutor keeping a Publick House , the Prisoner call'd for a Pint of Drink, and took away the Hat; which upon pursuit being found upon him, he was search'd, and 8 Pewter Plates conceal'd about him, which were found to belong to one Samuel Beldam .

He was a 2d time indicted for stealing the said 8 Pewter Plates ; which was also very plainly prov'd upon him, and he was found guilty of Felony upon both Indictments ."

BAD ASSSS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This must be someone's ancestor, but it sure ain't one of mine.:eek:

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t16770711-1-off4&div=t16770711-1#highlight

ps. it doesn't say what the dog got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

In 1845. Deception and Forgery.

In 1847. Theft and Embezzlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

5 hits - all as victims of theft and murder!

1 hit on my mother's family name in 1856. Stealing 1 pistol, value 50s. (about £1,600 today); the goods of our Lady the Queen.

A confusing tale about someone who gave the pistol to a pawnbroker, and the "War department of the Tower" (of London, I assume). There was also a dodgy man name Ryan on the bridge, and some hanging around in public houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ps. it doesn't say what the dog got.
    A bone, presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My ancestors were shameless thieves! :eek:

*Mary, of the Parish of Tottenham High Cross , was indicted for stealing a Flaxen Sheet, value 5 s.

*Eustace, of the Parish of St. Leonard Shoreditch , was indicted for stealing five dozen of Sheepskins from John Francis.

*Katherine, of St. Giles in the Fields , was indicted for privately stealing two Silk Gowns value 3 l. two Petticoats 30 s. six Diaper Clouts 6 s. two Periwigs 5 l.

*Katherine, of St. Paul's Shadwell , was indicted for feloniously stealing a Sattin Gown, Riding hood, Silk Petticoat, a pair of Stays, a Linnen Gown, and 2 Pair of Sheets, value 3 l. the Goods of John Hutchinson

*John, was indicted for stealing a Looking Glass , and found Guilty to the Value of 10 d.

*Thomas, was indicted for breaking and entering the House of Mary Hymers , between 9 and 10 at Night, and stealing 2 pieces of Cloth, cut out for a Waistcoat, value 8 s.

I will, of course, offer reparations to the ancestors of any of the victims of my family's shameful past. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Two hits but for the same incident of armed robbery and larceny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

Burglary, Larceny, Murder apparently!!!

and the ultimate crime.... PICKPOCKETING!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

5800 results for my mothers surname, 0 for mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Wow 5800!!

Most of them probably ARE NOT related to her........ (In a sense though we are ALL RELATED)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Yeah it's a pretty common name. Either that or I come from a long long line of criminals.:p

Advertisement