Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub You've Ever Been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

'Zacks', donegal town, now closed.

not sure if you can call it a pub, 'cafe del mar' in ibiza, only for the mojotos and the sunset.

and 'irish daisy', zell am see, austria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Bukowski's Tavern in Boston. About 30 craft beers on tap, sufficiently dingy, fantastic buffalo wings, and a lock-in in a city where they are fundamentalist about closing on time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sergeant wrote: »
    Bukowski's Tavern in Boston. About 30 craft beers on tap, sufficiently dingy, fantastic buffalo wings, and a lock-in in a city where they are fundamentalist about closing on time.

i agree with this statement

I've been in lots of good bars/clubs, but after a quick thought, i really loved the krazy kanguruh, St Anton, Austria..

That place is just demented. Not only the best pub for apres ski but the best one overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Salt house is overrrated. it just seems like a really expensive sauna!

In galway, its gotta be O'Connels for sure. Nicest pint of stout around!

A pub in vienna, forget the name of it, stayed open till dawn, beer and music all night. Great place.... prob the best pub ive been in so far!

Edit: I remembered! It was Cactus bar!!

+1 on the points made about the Salt House and O'Connells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Fibbers!! both old and new! :)

Fibbers? In Galway? Ha, you must be from Mervue!

sealgaire wrote: »
    Fibbers? In Galway? Ha, you must be from Mervue!

I'd imagine it is Fibbers in Dublin, a pub on Parnell street that smells like a can of cat piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

kevthecelt wrote: »
    A sportsbar in Vancouver. Flatscreens on every square inch of the walls AND a mini golf course going round the entire bar. Awesome
    Jesus, how could multiple flat screens and a crazy golf course make a pub good. Sounds like a nightmare to me. Each to their own I suppose. Grogans, South William st. Dublin for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'd imagine it is Fibbers in Dublin, a pub on Parnell street that smells like a can of cat piss.

and where the women hang like a wizards sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

Cafe Mambo in Ibiza ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

There was one in Wales, I can't remember it's name. Did a mean Indian curry, great to tuck into with a few pints of their local ale.

Took a trip down to Galway recently, was in a bar called the Salthouse. Great selection of beer, and drunken jenga. Hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brendog wrote: »
    Quinns Drumcondra.....but that was 2 years ago....now its ****!!

Yeah the students have it ruined.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Have all been in Germany and Belgium. Not really able to separate a lot at the very top. Dax BierBoerse in Hannover being a particular highlight, couple of bars in Leuven, Belgium.

J Each to their own I suppose. Grogans, South William st. Dublin for me!

Now I love an authentic Dublin pub, but Grogan's would put the temper on me. Lots of self-styled arty types, too much tweed and leather patches, and disgraceful toilets. I hate how pubs think they are keeping it real by having the jacks as a public health hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Now I love an authentic Dublin pub, but Grogan's would put the temper on me. Lots of self-styled arty types, too much tweed and leather patches, and disgraceful toilets. I hate how pubs think they are keeping it real by having the jacks as a public health hazard.
    I suppose you're right about the jacks but the pints are massive and the atmosphere is spot on despite your fear of tweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Sam Jacks in Newcastle. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I suppose you're right about the jacks but the pints are massive and the atmosphere is spot on despite your fear of tweed.

How can a pint be massive?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jesus, how could multiple flat screens and a crazy golf course make a pub good. Sounds like a nightmare to me. Each to their own I suppose. Grogans, South William st. Dublin for me!

Yep. No music, no TVs. A toasted cheese sandwich with plenty of mustard and a pint of Guinness at lunch time... wonderful stuff.

And personally I wear a corduroy jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Yep. No music, no TVs. A toasted cheese sandwich with plenty of mustard and a pint of Guinness at lunch time... wonderful stuff.

And personally I wear a corduroy jacket.

Haven't been there for a while but you used to be able to get a large bottle of McArdle's there which is always a treat. Usually, it's just Smithwick's that's available for ale-drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

HoPpiE wrote: »
    How can a pint be massive?

It could be really really fizzy and require more space for the extra bubbles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

the sky bar on the 33rd floor of traders hotel, kuala lumpur. look out over KL and the petronas towers. cool location, cool music, great cocktails

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A bar in Hannover, Germany. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but on the wall they had this huge board with a list of the drinks they served and their prices and every couple of minutes the prices would change. Cue us falling to the bar to order multiple glasses of the cheapest booze on the list. Great fun, great beer but not so great hangover the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

There's a revolving bar on top of the Marriot in Times Square. It's a bit posh, and all seated with a buffet type deal but it's worth a mention for the excellent 360 view of the manhattan skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

The Irish Rover in Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Garden, Zadar, Croatia. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Shunt, underneath London Bridge station. Long spacious tunnels under the railway with perfomances hidden in little alcoves as you walk in. Then the end opens up to reveal a large bar and seating everywhere. Fantastic place, people at their strangest in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

irish_goat wrote: »
    To be a bit more upbeat than the "dodgiest pub" thread, what's the best pub you've ever been in?

Mines was in a pub called Zum Uerige in Dusseldorf, we walked in, sat down and within about 3 seconds we all had a glass of Alt beer (the local brew) in front of us with one having asked for it. Everyone else was drinking the stuff so we couldn't figure out if the waiter just likes to take the piss out of tourists or if he decides that everyone has to drink beer. Aside from that the place was class, really clean, had seemingly taken over half the street outside with beer garden space and had a pub grub menu that was full of manly dishes consisting solely of meat, bread and cheese.

The Gravediggers in Glasnevin, Dublin. Yankee O Connell's on the Hill of Skreen, Meath, is also superb, although the absence of a TV in The Gravediggers gives it the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Saturday Morning with a newspaper and a pint of stout its got to be Mulligans in Poolbeg Street, then on to the Palace Bar, up to the Long Hall and then over to Cassidys for a deadly one. Mosey down to the Dawson Lounge and hide in the darkness for a while.
    If your still up for it head over to O'Donoghues on Merrion Row and then get some dancing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Brendog wrote: »
    Quinns Drumcondra.....but that was 2 years ago....now its ****!!

I was in there after the All Ireland last year. To say it resembled a cattle mart would be kind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

Tom Collins

Limerick

*sigh *

and the Blue Light Dublin

Advertisement