Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub You've Ever Been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Hearsall Inn, Coventry. Walked in, the pub felt like a 'real' pub. Everyone was half-chatting, half-listening to the amazing session that was going on. The first person who spoke to me was a member of the Dubliners.

Fcukin amazing pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

The Emerald Isle in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Slatterys ,purely for the crazy situations I ended up in there ,usually on a sunday morning ,with crazy people.

I love crazy people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

When not abroad, Porterhouse pubs in Dublin, has to be said :)

danny byrnes in mullingar.. easily the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

irish-stew wrote: »
    'Zacks', donegal town, now closed.

not sure if you can call it a pub, 'cafe del mar' in ibiza, only for the mojotos and the sunset.

and 'irish daisy', zell am see, austria
    Jaysus, Zacks!

That's a throwback! It was Baby Joe's after that, then i:vibes, then the Celtic Bar.

I agree though, Zack's was a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

PeteEd wrote: »
    The Quids-Inn,
    Douglas, Isle of Man.

£1 entry fee, then every drink is £1 all day everyday:D

Is this place still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Kavanagh's gravedigger in glasnevin. no tellys, no music, just the craic with your friends and the best pint of guinness you will get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

aDeener wrote: »
    Kavanagh's gravedigger in glasnevin. no tellys, no music, just the craic with your friends and the best pint of guinness you will get anywhere

Ah the joys of college, Guinness is top notch alright. Love the pubs where there is just the craic.
    The Tap Room in Ballybricken Waterford. Small enough pub, excellent atmosphere, good music and good pints. + It's my local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭beccabeccabecca

King Tut's in Glasgow. Great atmosphere and they have some brilliant bands playing there.

I also love Sally Long's in Galway (though it's been mentioned in the dodgiest pub thread). The bar staff are always friendly and up for a laugh and they have some pretty cool memorabilia hanging on the walls. You'd meet some interesting people in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Sam Platt's in Manchester. About a 5 minute walk from Old Trafford and they serve cans from a window in a big marquee before games, few drug dealers in and about the place, but hey, whattya gonna do?:P

The Tiny Bar, Lanzarote. It's literally smaller than my bathroom(regular sized bathroom:pac:) and there's no TV, just a big-ass window that looks out onto the sea. Everyone talks to eachother and the owner is a frickin' legend.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Weatherspoon, birmingham, the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

For my money it has to be Clancys in knockvicar,co rosscomon.Good regulars,good craic,good pint and a mighty fine landlady.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

would have to be Le Grotte In serre chevailier :D

Looseist bar ive ever well worked at satff got pissed while we worked...
    had water fights even to jjust party there it was perfectly normal half way throught the night for the boss to poor the first botel he had in his hand on down your throat... or better still have water fight throw pints over people shake botels of lemonade spray over each or the costomers

and you know what

they all loved it :)

Crazy

i leanred some good drinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Beer Factory in Prague. Pull your own pints of Pilsner Urquell from a tap in the middle of your table, delicious food, flatscreens everywhere. And there's a little league table thing going across the bottom of all the tellys with a league table of how much beer each table has drank so it all turns into a massive competition. It's awesome.

Honourable mentions to:

'Andy Bad Boys Bucket Emporium' on Ko Phangan :D
    The Woolshed
    The Morgue (have to plug the local)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Can't really remember any good pubs out side of Ireland that i've been to. My two favourites in Dublin are Whelans and Sweeneys or whatever they are calling it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Was in this place in Utrecht once, can't remember the name but it was fantastic. Had something like 300 different beers on offer.

Or better still, the coolest smoking area I've ever seen, in Dusseldorf. You have the main bar, and then a doorway which leads you into it- we all thought, fair enough, it'll be a marquee or something. Got through and it was like some kind of a secret service lair- round sofas, a huge fireplace, plasma TVs with remotes so you could pick what to watch, and your own little peephole into the bar so you never had to leave. Better still a pint was about €1.50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Dan Murphy's in Amsterdam but that was a few years ago when Amsterdam was packed with expat babes. I pulled practically every night in Dan's.
    Smoking ban has ruined a lot of these places.

Was in this place in Utrecht once, can't remember the name but it was fantastic. Had something like 300 different beers on offer.

Or better still, the coolest smoking area I've ever seen, in Dusseldorf. You have the main bar, and then a doorway which leads you into it- we all thought, fair enough, it'll be a marquee or something. Got through and it was like some kind of a secret service lair- round sofas, a huge fireplace, plasma TVs with remotes so you could pick what to watch, and your own little peephole into the bar so you never had to leave. Better still a pint was about €1.50!

Sounds awesome. Where is it. I'm in Dusseldorf for a while. Is it in the Altstadt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

what a place jaysus thats brought back memories :):D

must not be good then if you have memories:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Paddy rohan's in Nenagh. A real Irish pub, none of your fake Oirish stuff here. Beautiful stout and sound owner & family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Sounds awesome. Where is it. I'm in Dusseldorf for a while. Is it in the Altstadt?

It's not in the Altstadt, no, but it's close enough. The best way I can describe it, go through the hauptbahnhof to its back entrance, and there's a quiet street with a hotel and stuff on it, walk down that street, take a right when you get to the end, and keep walking down that long road until you reach the bar...it's impossible to miss cos they have pricelists all over the path and it's one of the only bars on that street...definitely check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

PeteEd wrote: »
    The Quids-Inn,
    Douglas, Isle of Man.

£1 entry fee, then every drink is £1 all day everyday:D

Kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Days Bar, Inishbofin.

Pub on an island off Connemara. Never left the place before 4-5 in the morning, and the locals are feckin bananas! :)

Jesus, how could multiple flat screens and a crazy golf course make a pub good. Sounds like a nightmare to me. Each to their own I suppose. Grogans, South William st. Dublin for me!

Agreed. Sports bars, especially those American ones, suck the sweat off a dead man's balls. Ridiculous basketball machines with beef heads high-fiving each other cos they beat their personal best. Hockey sticks nailed to every wall, barstaff wearing New York Yankees pyjama jerseys. CRAP!

It's not in the Altstadt, no, but it's close enough. The best way I can describe it, go through the hauptbahnhof to its back entrance, and there's a quiet street with a hotel and stuff on it, walk down that street, take a right when you get to the end, and keep walking down that long road until you reach the bar...it's impossible to miss cos they have pricelists all over the path and it's one of the only bars on that street...definitely check it out.

OK I think I know where you're sending me. I've been down that street on my way to the swimming pool so I'll check it out again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

SV wrote: »
    Kip!

I was thinking it'd be worth a trip over, never went on a session in the isle of man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

gurramok wrote: »
    When not abroad, Porterhouse pubs in Dublin, has to be said :)
    I've been to two of them and I'm of the opinion that they are the worst pubs in Dublin.

Horses, courses, I guess.

Also let's not forget Woodside in New York

There you've got Toucan Tommy's, The Woodside Lounge, the Starting Gate. All dives full of boggers in the construction games and culchie girl nannies pining for home. They only ever seem to play Brown Eyed Girl, N17 or Hothouse Flowers' Don't Go, on the jukebox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I was thinking it'd be worth a trip over, never went on a session in the isle of man.

Good Island to go visit alright but jaysus..I dunno, maybe it's from being from there and my view being tainted :p

Advertisement