Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub You've Ever Been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In Dublin, Grogans, The Long Hall or Nearys. Just proper cosy Irish bars where you can have a chat without having to scream over the music.

Not a pub really but you can't beat having a beer or glass of wine sitting outside a Parisien cafe just watching the world go by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Gunning's in Rathsomething something outside of Mullingar.

It starts out as a petrol station with a little shop inside. You walk through the shop (about the size of your average 3pc bathroom) into the pub, which is approximately five metres by five metres. There's generally about 3 people in the place, all oldschool farmers over the age of 55 who stared me down completely when I walked in. They sell wellies (that are hung on the wall), all sizes. Also sell tins of canned beans and other preserved "goods" behind the bar. Nicest pint of Guinness I've ever tasted though.

Allegedly they even get live traditional music in, but it wasn't when I was there. Can't imagine where the hell they'd put the band? :confused:

That was my first Irish pub. Think I got a pretty good introduction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Weatherspoon, birmingham, the other week

Is that a joke? I really hope so!

Weatherspoons is the anti-pub. Its a soulless cavern of broken dreams, heck you can smell the despair from miles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

liah wrote: »
    Gunning's in Rathsomething something outside of Mullingar.

Rathconrath!

I think my friend worked in there, was in it once many years ago to buy some crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I Was in a Bar in Tralee called Bailey's Corner. loved the traditional and homely feel of the pub and had a savage pint of Guinness.
    Dunno if it would be my number 1 but defo in the top 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Molly Malone's - Playa De Las Americas, 1993

Top Atmosphere
    Top Live Music
    Top Cheap Rocket Fuel
    Top Totty dancing on tables.

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jj foleys in "southie" in Boston.

honourable mentions:

the banshee, in dorchester in boston.
    the dubliner, tenerife.
    monkey beach club, tenerife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bar Robinson in Morzine, France.

Mutzig for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Weatherspoon, birmingham, the other week

Ah Jaysus Tar! Wetherspoon's is not a pub! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

my favourite bar in the world is Ronnie's in Kensington Market, Toronto. No frills about this place, just a nice, dark, dive bar with good music and good beer [ mc auslans apricot, delirium..] , just always felt home there!

http://timinganddelivery.com/toronto/ronnies-local-069

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Bartley Dunnes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mr.David wrote: »
    Is that a joke? I really hope so!

Weatherspoons is the anti-pub. Its a soulless cavern of broken dreams, heck you can smell the despair from miles off.
    bronte wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus Tar! Wetherspoon's is not a pub! :pac:

anywhere that gives me a quadruple 46% whiskey and coke for 4 pound and serves me indian food is the best pub in the world :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Frisbee wrote: »
    The Beer Factory in Prague. Pull your own pints of Pilsner Urquell from a tap in the middle of your table, delicious food, flatscreens everywhere. And there's a little league table thing going across the bottom of all the tellys with a league table of how much beer each table has drank so it all turns into a massive competition. It's awesome.

Honourable mentions to:

'Andy Bad Boys Bucket Emporium' on Ko Phangan :D
    The Woolshed
    The Morgue (have to plug the local)

Jaysus!!!! lol ah no but seriously i drink in there fair bit NO MORE !! The name fits the pub perfect to be honest :P. And now its feckin blue on outside and mad lights out back lol

Best pub ever been to in Dublin no idea once drink is cheap and i can hear meself think im there!!

Theres bar in lanzarote *Cant remember name* Drink was for nothing always goodlooking women in it and they had these lovely pies for like a euro lol what more could u ask for really!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Went to a deadly Welsh pub in Wellington in New Zealand. Was an old toilet stop for trams back in the day.

Had a great night in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rororororororor

harbour bar, bray, co wicklow!

best pub ever, 43rd on lonely planets countdown and my proud local!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The Bernard Shaw, Richmond St Dublin is a great pub.

Also Finches in Clondalkin... Jokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

de kayuit bunschoten-spakenburg nederlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Outside of ireland, the best pub i was in was a place called 'Section 8' in Melbourne. It's down some back alley in the CBD, and its basically a vacant lot. The bar was a ship container with a hole cut in the front of it, and the toilet was another ship container. The tables and chairs were stacked pallets at various heights.
    The DJ was set up in the corner and wasnt too loud, just the right level so that you could talk without shouting. They had a huge collection of wines and beers, mostly from small local private wineries and breweries.
    It was a friday afternoon about 5.00 and the place was hopping. just a really good atmosphere, feckin loved it.
    It wouldnt be too good when i rained though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Mackman wrote: »
    Outside of ireland, the best pub i was in was a place called 'Section 8' in Melbourne. It's down some back alley in the CBD, and its basically a vacant lot. The bar was a ship container with a hole cut in the front of it, and the toilet was another ship container. The tables and chairs were stacked pallets at various heights.
    The DJ was set up in the corner and wasnt too loud, just the right level so that you could talk without shouting. They had a huge collection of wines and beers, mostly from small local private wineries and breweries.
    It was a friday afternoon about 5.00 and the place was hopping. just a really good atmosphere, feckin loved it.
    It wouldnt be too good when i rained though :)

I passed out in that place! Went back again, really cool spot alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I passed out in that place! Went back again, really cool spot alright

Melbourne f***in rocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

The Swan in stockwell,london. Dear lord:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Sergeant wrote: »
    Bukowski's Tavern in Boston. About 30 craft beers on tap, sufficiently dingy, fantastic buffalo wings, and a lock-in in a city where they are fundamentalist about closing on time.
    Never knew buffallo's had wings:D:D:D

THE EL HOYA IN CADIZ SPAIN/ THE REIL SUNNEY BEACH BULGARIA GREAT ATMOSPHERE BOTH PLACES.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Bartley Dunnes.

SURE YOU'D BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO GO IN THERE:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sams Place on the Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe. Brilliant, spent a summer there, hit Sams every Tuesday. Great Music, Great Atmosphere, Great Fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sams Place on the Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe. Brilliant, spent a summer there, hit Sams every Tuesday. Great Music, Great Atmosphere, Great Fun.

I was in a pretty cool bar in Truckee near there. Can't remember the name now for the life of me but it was one of those places where you got free peanuts so there were shells and sawdust all over the floor. Pretty cool place. Is that one and the same by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Frank Ryan's on Queen St.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Max Fish in New York.
    Nice 'n Sleazies in Glasgow.
    Kaffee Burger in Berlin.
    Roisin Dubh & Bierhaus in Galway.

Don't really have pubs at home that I get excited about but ones I'd visit most would be;
    Mickey Martins & Baker Place in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Frank Ryan's on Queen St.

+1 on this, its a savage bar, good people and great music

Advertisement