Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A brief rant

Options
  • 20-07-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

My mother stopped into Dunnes (Enniscorthy) last week to pick up a few groceries. When she's ready to go home she calls my father and he'll pop down in the car and collect her. They own a Special Needs parking disc (see below*).

The father went down and there were 2 cars parked in the Special Needs parking bay so he stopped outside Dunnes for all of 20 seconds and the mother put the bags in the back and got in the car.

Then the Gardai showed up and rather than being politely asked to move or given a ticket one of the Gards in questions proceeded to verbally abuse my parents telling them on four different occasions how lazy they were in a condescending and abusive tone. "Total and utter laziness", "Pure laziness", "Sheer laziness" he said sneering down his nose at them.

They both accept that they were totally and utterly wrong to have stopped on the double yellow lines for 20 seconds and would accept if they were asked politely to move on or were given a ticket.

What I don't accept is the manner in which a Gard verbally abused my parents. It's not their job to speak to people in this manner, it's totally un-professional. Nor did he do anything about the fact that 2 cars were illegally parked in the Special Needs parking bay. There's cars there everyday parked up on the footpath on the double yellow lines and nothing done about it. My father stops for 20 seconds outside Dunnes main entrance and he get's a mouthful of abuse.

I'm raging I wasn't there because there's no way I'd have accepted this sort of treatment.. no professionalism or respect whatsoever. I've urged my mother to go down to the Garda Station and file a complaint. I told her I'd go with her and demand an apology.

Tough guy gards picking on hard working, decent people eh... Just wanted to share this disgrace with some of the locals.

FYI -

*Mother - 60 - working since the age of about 15, riddled with arthritis

*Father - 62 - working since the age of about 16, bad knee, very dodgy heart, only out of hospital about 10 days after having two stints inserted in his veins due to an irregular heart beat problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't let it fester. Pop into the Garda station and put in a complaint. I must say my experience of the Gardai in Enniscorthy (only visible on Paddy's Day and the Strawberry Festival) is that they are very polite. As for their efficiency that's for another thread but they have a fine collection of police helmets from all over the World in the Garda station. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ask for them to be transferred to Gorey, we could do with them. The Gardaí here wouldn't bother there a*ses if you parked on someone's head. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I don't know... a fella puts on a uniform and he thinks it's his right to go around blurting out his poorly informed opinions to quiet, respectful people... that's not part of his job description.

And then a fella gets the shíte kicked out of him by a bunch of thugs on a Saturday and they'll drop down and tell everyone to go home at the very most before jumping back inside the car to do a few more laps.

I just can't imagine the training guide in Templemore says:

Polite, Pleasant, Respectful = Treat like morons

Violent Thugs = Avoid, say nothing, don't kick them off, send home

The Gardaí here wouldn't bother there a*ses if you parked on someone's head

Funny thing is these guys are a no show on parking violations 99% of the time.

If I had a Euro for everytime a bus was unable to pull in on the Quay I'd be a rich man.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

I regard it as really annoying when a Garda at a checkpoint demands your name, address and other details without first stating his reasons for asking.

If there was a valid reason, no problem. Otherwise it just comes across as a bit of a power trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

jpb1974 wrote: »
    My mother stopped into Dunnes (Enniscorthy) last week to pick up a few groceries. When she's ready to go home she calls my father and he'll pop down in the car and collect her. They own a Special Needs parking disc (see below*).

The father went down and there were 2 cars parked in the Special Needs parking bay so he stopped outside Dunnes for all of 20 seconds and the mother put the bags in the back and got in the car.

Then the Gardai showed up and rather than being politely asked to move or given a ticket one of the Gards in questions proceeded to verbally abuse my parents telling them on four different occasions how lazy they were in a condescending and abusive tone. "Total and utter laziness", "Pure laziness", "Sheer laziness" he said sneering down his nose at them.

They both accept that they were totally and utterly wrong to have stopped on the double yellow lines for 20 seconds and would accept if they were asked politely to move on or were given a ticket.

What I don't accept is the manner in which a Gard verbally abused my parents. It's not their job to speak to people in this manner, it's totally un-professional. Nor did he do anything about the fact that 2 cars were illegally parked in the Special Needs parking bay. There's cars there everyday parked up on the footpath on the double yellow lines and nothing done about it. My father stops for 20 seconds outside Dunnes main entrance and he get's a mouthful of abuse.

I'm raging I wasn't there because there's no way I'd have accepted this sort of treatment.. no professionalism or respect whatsoever. I've urged my mother to go down to the Garda Station and file a complaint. I told her I'd go with her and demand an apology.

Tough guy gards picking on hard working, decent people eh... Just wanted to share this disgrace with some of the locals.

FYI -

*Mother - 60 - working since the age of about 15, riddled with arthritis

*Father - 62 - working since the age of about 16, bad knee, very dodgy heart, only out of hospital about 10 days after having two stints inserted in his veins due to an irregular heart beat problem.

Have you made a complaint?

What day was it last week? Time?

I believe it was Saturday circa 12-1pm.

My mother spoke with another member of the Gardai yesterday (informally, on the street) and asked was the behaviour she experienced appropriate.

She was told that it was not appropriate behaviour and was asked to come down to the station today to discuss the matter further.

She's in two minds now, I think she fears she'll get a bit upset if she has to go down to the station. She's a bit harmless and was a bit shaken by the whole thing, she had tears in her eyes when she told me the story yesterday. Bit OTT and because it was a Garda she was afraid to speak up for herself at the time.

I've told her that she should go down and make a formal complaint because if this guy goes un-checked he'll just carry on treating people whatever way he so chooses i.e. without professionalism and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In my job I have to treat people with respect no matter who they are.Some people are pr1cks and always will be-putting on a uniform gives them the chance to be bigger ones.
    Stand your ground and complain if nothing else he'll be put in his place about his conduct towards the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I don't think the Garda Station is the place to go .

I would contact the Garda Ombudsman first .:

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/gsoc-garda-ombudsman-complaints.htm

n my job I have to treat people with respect no matter who they are

Aye... I can't think of any job that entitles you to bandy about your personal prejudices at a whim.

If I blurted out my opinion of the people I serve in my job I'd be up in front of HR in the blink of an eyelid.
    I would contact the Garda Ombudsman first

Aye, I spoke to my mother about the Garda Ombudsman yesterday.

I asked her earlier today was she going to follow this up and she said that she was heading down to the Doctors this afternoon so would be passing the Garda Station. I hope she calls in... for her sake and for mine because if I happen to see the guy on the street there will be words and I'd rather the matter got sorted out formally rather than me possibly blowing my lid.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

bmaxi wrote: »
    Ask for them to be transferred to Gorey, we could do with them. The Gardaí here wouldn't bother there a*ses if you parked on someone's head. :mad:
    Aaaah no...Carnew is much worse..They don't park..they abandon!!

Garda had a 'bad hair-day'? Regardless, I'd be infuriated if it were my parents. Go for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't think the Garda Station is the place to go .

I would contact the Garda Ombudsman first .:

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/gsoc-garda-ombudsman-complaints.htm
    Aye, I spoke to my mother about the Garda Ombudsman yesterday.

While I'd absolutely encourage her to go to the Station and discuss the matter (personally I'd ask for an apology from the member), I think jumping to the Ombudsman as the first port of call might be overkill.

In the Ombudsman FAQ they're talking about "The Garda Ombudsman will be required by law itself to investigate any case of death or serious harm arising from any person having been in contact with the Gardaí." That's not to say that you can't complain about other things, I think it'd just be a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aye... I can't think of any job that entitles you to bandy about your personal prejudices at a whim.

If I blurted out my opinion of the people I serve in my job I'd be up in front of HR in the blink of an eyelid.
    Maybe we should abuse the public-seems ok for a garda to do it and they uphold the law;)

The mother called into the Garda Station yesterday with a view to speaking directly to the officer in question and requesting an apology. He wasn't available as he is now working nights until early August.

To be honest I do think the Ombudsman is possibly stretching it, but at the very least I'd have requested to speak to his superior and flagged it at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Dont go to the garda ombudsman.

Just pop into the station and ask for the sergeant in charge or the inspector or superintendent!

Theyll deal with it much more efficiently and quicker.

Ombudsman will just dismiss it, or if your lucky pass it down for investigation by the superintendent anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 averagejim

I sometimes wonder if most people think before they speak or in this instance write!! Whatever about what might have been said, and i know im going to get the usual sheep bleeting the "why are'nt they out catching the real criminals and the drug dealers...blah blah blah", but what is it you said about having it out yourself with the Garda on the street and blowing you lid??? Do you really think that would be tolerated? the Garda would get your name and the names of anyone in earshot and you would find yourself on the wrong end of things pretty fast. Of course to expand it a little you will say "I did it for my parents..." You dont attack Gardai verbally or otherwise. im not a huge fan of them mysely (3 penalty points!!!) but i saw them deal with a scene too disgusting to describe for your pityful rant's sake on a day not fit to look outside let along work out in. (I know working outside is part of their job!) After dealing with the incident do you know what they did? they went back to work. I can tell you nobody else went back to work that day, and i mean nobody. Strike them down for your little reason if you must but if they disappeared you would miss them. Im not condoning someone being rude but you are talking about the ombusdman and being egged on by other sheep bleeting you on madly!!! I hope you get to dish out your $5000 of punishment for the $50 crime if you like. Ill bet your pound of flesh tastes as bitter as you are. As i said already myself im no angel but i know that Gardai dont 'bandy about their personal prejudices at a whim'. thats the bashing and generalising that proves that you are just trying to grind an axe. what a shame.

If I expressed my opinion to a Garda it would be done so in a personal capacity and not a professional capacity. And it should be noted that I haven't done so.

A Garda blurting out the personal opinion whilst supposedly performing a professional function is completely different. As already mentioned we've already been told by the Gardai that this is not professional behaviour.
    You dont attack Gardai verbally or otherwise

Who mentioned anything about attacking Gardai verbally?

i know that Gardai dont 'bandy about their personal prejudices at a whim'.

And I happen to know that, in certain cases, they have historically.

In fact I could describe another incident that happened to me personally a number of years ago whereby I was verbally abused by a Garda without reason.

The purpose of this thread isn't to tar every Gard with the same brush.. we're discussing one incident.

Ill bet your pound of flesh tastes as bitter as you are

Don't know Jim... never was into the human flesh thing to be honest.

Do like a good shteak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

The higher ups are very hard on professionalism in the force, whatever about speaking to him directly get on to his superior. It will be dealt with. Being on good terms with the community is considered extremely important.
    patff wrote: »
    I regard it as really annoying when a Garda at a checkpoint demands your name, address and other details without first stating his reasons for asking.

If there was a valid reason, no problem. Otherwise it just comes across as a bit of a power trip.

You can regard it as being as annoying as you like, not the Garda's problem. If you don't like it have the legislation changed. Until then you're obliged to answer the questions even if there is no reason in the world for asking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

I agree that the Garda had "no right" to speak to your parents in that manner. The correct course of action if you are miffed with the incident is for your mother or/and father, if they want to, to call the station and arrange to meet the Seargent. Before going, make a note of the time, date, reg of patrol vehicle (if known), and any other relevant information.

I personally would dismiss the incident as the Gard in question will meet his match one day........he may even be married to her!

What you are doing here is probably best....in fact...why dont you give a description of him so that we will all recognise him if we encounter him....you never know, someone here may just know him.:cool:

Just a brief update in relation to this matter -

The Sergeant in the Enniscorthy Station has been in contact with my mother and the matter has been dealt with. My mother said that he was ever so polite, an absolute gentleman.

Personally I'm very pleased about this and would like to say 'Thanks' to the Sergeant for the professional manner in which he dealt with this matter.

Case closed :)

Advertisement