Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked Drain

Options
  • 20-07-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

We have a blocked drain (sewage) at the back garden, its a private owned propty,
    I was phoned Fingal county council, they said were responsible for it, when i explained that its a sewage drainage is nearly over flowing, Fingal said oh sorry yes that they were responsible and will send some one around,
    Which did very quick,,
    When the inspector came to have a look, after a few phones calls said he will send someone around, a few mins later the inspector phone to say that we are NOW responsible for it to get some out

We had the same problem a few years ago Fingal came out to clean it up no probs,

Now wondering who is in the right before i phone them back,, or get hold of the local TD's (if that might be any help)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

glossy wrote: »
    We have a blocked drain (sewage) at the back garden, its a private owned propty,
    I was phoned Fingal county council, they said were responsible for it, when i explained that its a sewage drainage is nearly over flowing, Fingal said oh sorry yes that they were responsible and will send some one around,
    Which did very quick,,
    When the inspector came to have a look, after a few phones calls said he will send someone around, a few mins later the inspector phone to say that we are NOW responsible for it to get some out

We had the same problem a few years ago Fingal came out to clean it up no probs,

Now wondering who is in the right before i phone them back,, or get hold of the local TD's (if that might be any help)

Thanks in advance

We had the same problem and im sure the letter of the law has/always will be once its inside your gate its your problem/cost.

Even the main drain in my neighbours has to small of a opening to flow out into the mains, had a inspector look @ it and that's it, up to you now to pay/sort it out was the general feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

mmmm thanks,, will phone them up again and take it from there

glossy wrote: »
    mmmm thanks,, will phone them up again and take it from there

No worries, sure you might get lucky and compared to a drain company the cost of the call is worth it. Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tommone

My sewage inspection cover is in my next door neighbour's garden.(don't ask me why,house is 26 yrs old) The house is unoccupied and is occasionally rented which is not a problem in itself . There is a blockage between the inspection area and the main sewage pipe which runs at right angles along the road outside about 15 metres away.Sewage is flowing past the cover when we flush a toilet. Any one know which party is responsible if the blockage is found to be within the boundary of my neighbour's garden which I believe is generally the householders responsibility. I have no backflow to my toilets. Just an annoying smell outside depending on which way the wind blows. There have been sewage problems in the area recently but it is really the responsibility I am concerned about.

We have the same set up and problems. Basically it was my parents and then the neighbour that got stung with the bill. I got sick of this and asked the neighbours on the row(there’s about 10 hours from corner to corner), some paid it, with most saying it’s not to do with me. I got sick of that excuse and went to Fingal office and they told me it runs from corner to corner.

So the next time I went around, I told people about it and showed them as best I could with a plan from a council the drainage setup. Now about half pay towards it.

We had recently a neighbour being effected from it and them being one of those who won’t pay, so form what I know they were left to foot the bill, which as they knew someone was only €90, whereas we used to pay €150-€180, so they didn’t lose out that much.

Sorry it took so long, but that’s as clear as I can tell you, without just saying it’s up to whoever is affected, whereas id see it down to how decent people are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement